Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 04:38 PM

308 posts, read 267,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
For two months of use? A battery does not wear and tear over two months, neither does a transmission, at least not to the tune of $150-$200.
The OP may or may not have handled the discussion in the best way but I do not think it's unreasonable of her to have expected the aunt to reimburse the cost of the battery. Auntie would have been the one buying it anyway if the timing had been the merest bit different. It really isn't the OP's responsibility to replace an item that should have been, would have been replaced by the owner anyway.
That's like saying if your boss or coworker lent you a car to run an errand and the battery died or the tire blew while you were driving it you are responsible for paying for the repairs yourself, simply for the fact that you were the one driving while it happened.

And for those of you saying OP should have just left the car, really? To let it get towed? Pay for towing it herself? The cost for towing is probably nearly as much as a new battery. I guess she should have just left it and let auntie worry about paying to get the car out of impound, yes?
Whether the car belongs to a boss or aunt and whether the damage was a battery or flat tire are completely irrelevant. That car belongs to someone else and the owner should have been contacted before anything was done to the car. If the car broke down that is even more reason to call. For all we know there may be a particular place the relative prefers to have repairs done or perhaps they discounts there due to repeat service.

And if anyone ever asks you to run an errand using their car, politely decline and explain that you are not comfortable using another persons car. Or find some other polite excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 07:29 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this question, but it didn't seem to fit in "Automotive." Recently I gave up my car because it would have been more expensive to repair than it was worth, so now have no personal transportation. A close relative was going to be out of the state, didn't need her car for a couple of months, and offered to lend me her car temporarily. While I had it, I had to replace 4 quarts of transmission fluid and purchase a new battery (didn't leave lights on too long or anything--it was just the natural death of an old battery).

When I mentioned these costs, she really didn't see why I would expect to be reimbursed because I was using the car. Of course, if I caused some damage, a fender bender or even pop a tire due to running over a nail or some such, I'd feel responsible for those things. Not sure of the legalities and I'm not going to try to take my relative to small claims court in any case, but am I wrong to feel this is not right? I'm sorry I accepted the offer and won't do that again!
How many miles did you drive? I'd consider anything over about 10 cents/mile as excessive maintenance costs, however, you may still want to let it go to avoid ruining your relationship with this relative, this is to say, think long and hard before burning bridges!

Old 12-20-2016, 07:30 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
WOW! So we know who NOT to do a favor for in the future!

Old 12-21-2016, 09:08 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
You used her vehicle for a couple of months??? and are upset that you had to purchase some transmission fluid, and a battery??

Sorry, but I think you are being extremely ungrateful and petty. Have you priced rental cars??

IMO.....I think she should regret having let you put miles and wear and tear on her vehicle since you seem so ungrateful.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:25 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
The time to address this was when the parts failed, or I would have at least inquired about the use of the trans fluid, as a car needing 8 quarts tells me it's been actively leaking. Also, a failing battery usually happens over time as well.

So both of these items should have been brought up on the day they occurred, and the question asked then. After the fact? Well now it's too late. Chalk it up to the cost of borrowing the vehicle. Sometimes in life, you just have to eat it to maintain good face.

This could be argued either way. If the OP borrowed the car for a day, and the battery failed, are they on the hook then? Most would probably say no.

I think in this situation the OP needs to eat the costs and just consider it thanks for use of the car for 2 months.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:02 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,731,192 times
WOW, I can't believe this OP! You're quite ungrateful! Are you going to ask her for the gas money that you used to fill up the car too? And please do not take this person to small claims court as the judge will laugh at you. They lent you their car and you had to do some maintenance just so you can drive it, so what! Do you have any idea how much it is to rent a car per day???? If you even asked me for a cent I would never lend you my vehicle again, let alone ever talk to you!

I can't get over how some people are just down right ignorant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships