Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 12:33 PM

160 posts, read 163,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Because they lack compassion.
I loss my compassion with people a long time ago.
Why, I heard always the same story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 05:05 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,334,698 times
To manipulate.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:54 PM

13,288 posts, read 8,492,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
That's true if the person you go after has the authority/ability to deal with the situation.

Try working behind a hotel front desk. To some it is the clerk's fault they cannot grant a late checkout or an early check in.I've has people get really nasty because they could not check in at 7:30 AM because they had to get ready for a wedding.(Hotel check in is 3PM) Some demand refunds because the room next to them was noisy last night. Of course they did not pick up their phone and call the front desk when it was happening. trust me I could write pages on this.
WOW! This brought back memories from my clerk days!

wedding guest were on the top of the list for "demanding" special treatment. Then there was the "golf" outting groups that acted like frat boys and left the rooms in shambles. They spent way too much time at the 19th hole.

I've heard legitimate concerns working customer service. Most just want the matter remedied. I'd like to think that some folks truly enjoy the woe is me life chatter. An associate of mine absolutely loves to whine about her ailment and for the most part I try to empathize. There are moments that (heaven forbid) I have a cold , where she will say....well dont give it to me because I have something far worse to live with! (Yes dear, its always how worse off you have it. ) No one else is "allowed" to be sicker then you....your award is in the mail.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:54 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,227,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
WOW! This brought back memories from my clerk days!

wedding guest were on the top of the list for "demanding" special treatment. Then there was the "golf" outting groups that acted like frat boys and left the rooms in shambles. They spent way too much time at the 19th hole.

I've heard legitimate concerns working customer service. Most just want the matter remedied. I'd like to think that some folks truly enjoy the woe is me life chatter.
There are many truly legitimate complaints about which we have no control or authority to deal with.: Then there are those who find something simply so they can demand a refund.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:18 AM

23 posts, read 13,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
That's true if the person you go after has the authority/ability to deal with the situation.

Try working behind a hotel front desk. To some it is the clerk's fault they cannot grant a late checkout or an early check in.I've has people get really nasty because they could not check in at 7:30 AM because they had to get ready for a wedding.(Hotel check in is 3PM) Some demand refunds because the room next to them was noisy last night. Of course they did not pick up their phone and call the front desk when it was happening. trust me I could write pages on this.
Try having your vacation ruined because your hotel room has an overflowing toilet and dirty bed sheets. Would you not complain? Or just stay silent because it might hurt someone's feelings or cause them some extra work if you complain.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:44 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,227,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchpest View Post
Try having your vacation ruined because your hotel room has an overflowing toilet and dirty bed sheets. Would you not complain? Or just stay silent because it might hurt someone's feelings or cause them some extra work if you complain.
Yes you have every right and should report it. A call at the time you become aware of the problem reporting the problem and not blaming the person answering the phone works best. Overflowing toilets must be dealt with. Dirty linen is certainly not acceptable and believe me is very upsetting to hotel staff. I would certainly expect these items to be fixed immediately or you be offered another room.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:27 AM

28,697 posts, read 18,866,242 times
There are a couple of lines of concept going on in this thread.

With regard to the concept of "complaint:"

I accept "complaints" from customers. I do not accept "complaints" from employees" (except those that need to go to HR).

I set expectations for my customers, and if I have not met the expectations I set, I expect them to complain so I can fix it.

From employees, I hope to get process improvement suggestions, but "process improvement" means the job is done better or just as well (from my point of view) with less cost.

This was something I grokked when I was in my twenties in the military: The commander would grant me anything, as long as I could show that he would be more successful in his mission.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:29 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,745,055 times
Too many people are trying to get something for free.

I remember years ago I was working for Citibank in their call center handling customer escalations. A customer was completely bent out of shape because her order of 200 checks came with 5 sample checks of other designs the company offers. She went on for 15minutes about "what would possibly make us think she wanted checks with puppies on them". The only thing that finally shut her up was offering to credit her 43 cents (200 checks / $17.00 = 8.5 cents per check X 5 checks).

So you basically berated me over 43 cents?

Anymore the end of every "you did something wrong" complaint is "and how are you going to compensate me" instead of "mistakes happen, just correct it please"

The true meaning of "the customer is always right" has been lost for a very long time. As an FYI it doesnt mean you get your way every time.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:58 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,681,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
^^^^ This is true.

And exactly what good does it do to complain to someone who has no control over the situation?

Exactly what
does that accomplish?

But you don't know until you explain what the issue is whether or not that person has any control. And too bad about other people in line, sometimes if something isn't right it needs to be addressed.

I had to return something to Target last week, the guy in the dept. was very helpful. I had the receipt and the item was intact. He told me to go down to customer service but he wasn't sure if I would get store credit or if they would only do an exchange, better ask to speak to a manager.

Well I decided not to say anything and see how it went, all I said was "store credit is fine, I shop here once a week", the clerk looked over the merchandise and handed me a card with the credit.

Done!

Going in and demanding to "I want to see the manager", usually doesn't work, if the cashier/clerk can't help you after you calmly explain the problem, than you get a manager.

How on earth is anyone to know the employee they're talking to has or doesn't have the power to remedy the situation?

Old 01-01-2017, 11:59 AM

4,855 posts, read 3,660,875 times
My husband does that. I make a statement, about this or that and he thinks I am complaining. I stay quiet a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships