Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 05:03 PM

1,166 posts, read 881,668 times

Advertisements

I just don't get how bringing up a valid criticism about something makes you a whiner, I think it's just a way for the other person to easily dismiss what you are saying. I've also heard people say "get over yourself" when someone has a complaint about something, but again I don't see how pointing out a flaw with something means you think you are more important than other people, which is what people mean when they say "get over yourself" at least from what I can gather. I just think these are all ways for people to just offhandedly dismiss you, what do you guys think?

I swear some people are so stupid they can't tell a valid complaint from a trivial gripe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 05:14 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,722,851 times
From what I've seen many businesses will label a customer complaining as "someone just trying to get something free". Which isn't always the case. They won't even listen to the complaint, and won't apologize. I no longer bother complaining to managers, I complain directly to the service person I'm having the issue with; if necessary I'll stand there and give him a lecture right in front of everyone else.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:38 PM

2,793 posts, read 1,655,140 times
What are you complaining about? A bad situation? Their personality?

If it's a bad situation, everyone likes the atmosphere to be pleasant and peaceful. Complaining about something makes the air feel grumpy and unpleasant. That's why no one likes to hear anyone complaining about anything.

If you're criticizing a person, then they are offended and is being defensive when they tell you to get over yourself. No one likes to be judged badly, which is what criticism is, even if you think it's valid.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:52 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,211,253 times
Because they lack compassion.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:58 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,780,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
From what I've seen many businesses will label a customer complaining as "someone just trying to get something free". Which isn't always the case. They won't even listen to the complaint, and won't apologize. I no longer bother complaining to managers, I complain directly to the service person I'm having the issue with; if necessary I'll stand there and give him a lecture right in front of everyone else.
And if the service person cannot solve the problem, exactly what does your lecturing him or her solve?

Do you really think that the other customers want to hear another customer lecture an employee while they are waiting in line?

Old 12-28-2016, 07:08 PM

866 posts, read 633,034 times
Default Self worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I just don't get how bringing up a valid criticism about something makes you a whiner, I think it's just a way for the other person to easily dismiss what you are saying. I've also heard people say "get over yourself" when someone has a complaint about something, but again I don't see how pointing out a flaw with something means you think you are more important than other people, which is what people mean when they say "get over yourself" at least from what I can gather. I just think these are all ways for people to just offhandedly dismiss you, what do you guys think?

I swear some people are so stupid they can't tell a valid complaint from a trivial gripe.
In the end, all that matters is how you see or feel about your self and your complaint/questions/opinions.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:24 PM

10,219 posts, read 17,957,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post

I guess it's all a matter of perspective - what seems like a valid complaint to you may seem trivial to them. What seems trivial to you may be a valid complaint to someone else.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:31 PM

15,638 posts, read 15,778,910 times
Totally agree.

Maybe they're so unperceptive that they don't notice anything wrong. Maybe they're so insecure that they're terrified of "negativity." Maybe they're so dull that they have no interest in analyzing or discussing anything.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:56 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,612,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Totally agree.

Maybe they're so unperceptive that they don't notice anything wrong. Maybe they're so insecure that they're terrified of "negativity." Maybe they're so dull that they have no interest in analyzing or discussing anything.
Yes. And sometimes what you are complaining about is somehow advantageous to them, so they prefer to ignore it even if they know your complaint is valid. Clicks and favoritism often brings this about.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:34 PM

22,537 posts, read 12,105,141 times
OP---I'm not saying that this is a description of you but...some people constantly complain and make mountains out of molehills. My mother was like that, as well as one of my brothers. After awhile people who constantly complain get tuned out. Then if they have a valid complaint, no one pays attention. It's like the boy who cried wolf.

That said, if you rarely complain and people say things like "stop whining" or "stop being a victim", they invalidate your feelings. If you offer up an unsolicited criticism, people don't like that. However, if someone asks you to be honest and critique something (an outfit they are wearing or a paper they wrote for school) and you offer up sincere criticism without being nasty or mean-spirited---they may get upset because despite asking for an honest critique, you didn't say what they wanted to hear, so they get upset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships