Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 07:22 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,115,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysium78 View Post
Yup i seem to be in an anomaly situation all around. We've all heard of PITA in law situations and mine seem to take the cake.
Not even close!!!

That's absurd. Nearly every "non-romantic relationship" thread contains FAR, FAR worse in-law stories! Even threads that aren't about in-laws!

Here's the thing, OP: a whole lot of objective people who only know what you've posted are trying to tell you, "Your in-law aren't that bad! These issues don't even have to be problems--you're choosing to see them as problems! Let it go!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 07:22 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,613,104 times
[quote=seain dublin;46809032]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
You do realize that I ASKED A QUESTION whether she's retired and living on SS, rather than emphatically stating that she is. The OP did not answer my question, just like she hasn't answered questions about the 35 year-old brother's competency level, exactly how many times a year they have these dinners, or many other pertinent details people have been asking her. At any rate the mom is the elder, she's the one traveling across the country to see her sons. Even if she's a rich snowbird I see no problem in the sons covering her meals.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, when you visit friends or family out of your area and you stay with them, you take them out to dinner at least once. More if you're staying for more than a few days.

Like you I'm in CA, when I went back east a couple of years ago and stayed with my cousins in NY and NJ I took them out for breakfasts and dinners a couple of times. I wanted to do it, but also felt they're putting me up in their homes and feeding me, it's the least you can do to show your appreciation. You also make your bed and leave the bathroom clean.

Doesn't mean the sons shouldn't treat their mother to meals, but at some point her and her boyfriend should do the same.

I agree, the OP hasn't been very clear on the specifics of the situation.
But the OP's mother-in-law does not stay with her and her husband; she stays with the brother-in-law and wife. I don't see why the OP is causing herself unnecessary stress since they're not at her house. I agree with you about visiting cousins and not expecting them to pay for all your meals. I just think it's different when it's the person who raised you, and age does play a part. My elderly parents and grandparents deserve a different type of treatment than my same age cousins. The mother shouldn't pay for her meals, but her boyfriend should pay something. He's a man, he's not their blood relative, and he's not married to her. I think he IS freeloading.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:29 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,613,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
My grandmother had half a million dollars in the back, owned 3 properties, and lived below her means on her SS income and retirement income. She didn't 'need' anyone to pay for anything for her.

It was out of respect that my father, and his siblings, paid for her to visit and everything associated with it.

None of their spouses ever had an issue with it.
Exactly! Is it a generational thing? I'm not even old. I don't care if Mom has Zsa Zsa Gabor money. Any normal 40 year-old man with a decent career that would sit up there and have his hand out while his 70 year-old mom reaches into her purse for cash is pathetic.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
[quote=Kaphawoman;46809164]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

But the OP's mother-in-law does not stay with her and her husband; she stays with the brother-in-law and wife. I don't see why the OP is causing herself unnecessary stress since they're not at her house. I agree with you about visiting cousins and not expecting them to pay for all your meals. I just think it's different when it's the person who raised you, and age does play a part. My elderly parents and grandparents deserve a different type of treatment than my same age cousins. The mother shouldn't pay for her meals, but her boyfriend should pay something. He's a man, he's not their blood relative, and he's not married to her. I think he IS freeloading.
I agree with you about treating your parents and elderly relatives with extra respect. What I was saying is when you're a guest in someone's home it is the polite thing to take them out to dinner.

When I went back east I stayed with my one cousin who when I said I was going to rent a car offered their extra car. I took them out to dinner twice, and topped off the gas tank.

It's just basic manners.

Yes, the boyfriend does sound like a freeloader. Not the best way to get the family to like you....LOL.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
THE OP HAS NEVER ANSWERED WHETHER OR NOT THE SINGLE BIL HAS MEDICAL OR DISABILITY ISSUES. OP, can you PLEASE answer that question.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
If it's that big of an issue that it's causing you all to fight about it this much then separate your finances. You guys split the household bills and the kid expenses and then whatever you both have left you each spend how you see fit.
This is an excellent suggestion!

He can spend whatever he wants on his mom/siblings/dinners/gifts from his "pot" after his other obligations are met. You, OP, don't have to know or care a thing about it. His choice. Just be sure to say "thank you" if he invites you to the family dinners

Old 01-12-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
She's already tried convincing, now it's time to let it go and have a happy marriage.
More good advice, OP! Take note!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:35 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elysium78 View Post
Oh and i had to add that DH gives his dad who we never see $25 a week. His dad has a lot of health problems. I cant say im happy about this...but sometimes people have to help out aging parents and $25 a week isnt breaking the bank. I just dont know what the future holds with his family and it makes me uneasy. Who will need money next? Also last year S decided that he and my DH should get the brother a mattress for xmas. A mattress is a pretty expensive gift for a brother for xmas from two men that have families. I think if S wanted to buy his brother a mattress he should just do it.and leave my dh out of it. Of course my dh wont say no. So i have to just be the nag who askes why are you doing that etc.
I'm sure it cost your husband's father a great deal more than $25 a week to raise his son! I think you are being extremely petty when it comes to your husband helping out his ailing father, even if the amount were 5 times that, and even though you don't ever see him. How would you like to see a whole lot more of him, such as him moving in with you?

That said, from my knowledge of salaries from several online sources, I think it is likely that your husband, the cop, makes as much money or even much more than his VP brother, even if your husband hasn't been on the force long, though he likely has been an officer more than a few years, right?. Maybe your husband will get a promotion. Your husband will likely retire at a much younger age and will have a big pension with huge benefits. Then, he can even get a second job if he wants to do so, and he'll get that money on top of a pension.

As an example, I just looked online and saw actual paycheck amounts for a "Police Officer II" position in Los Angeles.

Here's what it showed:

Regular Pay Overtime Pay Other pay .... Total benefits Total Pay/Benefits

$88,291.00 ..... $327.00 .... $238,376.35.... $12,846.00 .... $339,840.35

Next, a "Police Officer" in San Jose:

$106,194.40 .... $39,184.88 ....$14,185.02 ..... $113,933.01 .... $273,497.31....

Old 01-12-2017, 07:39 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
I'm starting to wonder about this story.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Sorry, when you visit friends or family out of your area and you stay with them, you take them out to dinner at least once. More if you're staying for more than a few days.

Like you I'm in CA, when I went back east a couple of years ago and stayed with my cousins in NY and NJ I took them out for breakfasts and dinners a couple of times. I wanted to do it, but also felt they're putting me up in their homes and feeding me, it's the least you can do to show your appreciation. You also make your bed and leave the bathroom clean.

Doesn't mean the sons shouldn't treat their mother to meals, but at some point her and her boyfriend should do the same.

I agree, the OP hasn't been very clear on the specifics of the situation.
Sure, that would be ideal and proper, but how would you suggest OP go about enforcing these etiquette guidelines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships