Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:08 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times

Advertisements

I would never expect someone else to give me a 'tour" of their home, but if they did, I'd "ooh" and "ahh" over it even if it wasn't my style (which is old houses.) I am interested in all kinds of houses, so there's always something to appreciate, imho. On the other hand, my house is old, unique and very quaint, so people often ask to see all of it, which doesn't take long, lol (It's small.) I'm always proud to show it off, especially my custom restored vintage stove. Usually the visitors take pictures of the stove to show other people - it's that pretty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 09:52 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
If you visit friends' home for the first time, would you expect them to give you a tour of the entire house?

Some old friends were in town and we invited them over for dinner. We have an open floor plan, so they saw the entry hall, dining room, kitchen, powder room, and family room (no living room). The husband walked down a hall uninvited and looked into our laundry room. (The bedrooms/baths were in less than pristine condition.). We found out later that they were mad that we didn't give them a tour of the entire house.
Silly. Unless it were an unusual home, I don't see any point or what is so fascinating. I guess they are very materialistic and "stuff" matters to them very much. So sad.

Last edited by eastcoastguyz; 01-17-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 09:55 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
We used to do it when we were young marrieds and we and all our friends were first buying houses. But once you're grown, no.
Exactly. It isn't something mature adults do or expect. What could possibly be so fascinating to look around at bathrooms and bedrooms in other people's homes. How completely superficial.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:00 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
If you visit friends' home for the first time, would you expect them to give you a tour of the entire house?

Some old friends were in town and we invited them over for dinner. We have an open floor plan, so they saw the entry hall, dining room, kitchen, powder room, and family room (no living room). The husband walked down a hall uninvited and looked into our laundry room. (The bedrooms/baths were in less than pristine condition.). We found out later that they were mad that we didn't give them a tour of the entire house.
I wouldn't expect that. Why would anyone expect something like that? How weird.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I think the word "friend" must be overused if people's comments here are to be taken seriously. I certainly have never been offended if a friend asked to see the rest of my new home....in most cases they never had to ask if it was their first visit.

I must be unique....But, the difference to me is, I don't invite "acquaintances" to dinner, just very close friends.

Not that I would poke around uninvited, but if I had invited friends to my new residence for the first time after I'd moved, I would certainly expect to show it off. And I would never begrudge them, nor would I take offence at their poking their heads into a room for a gander at my new digs. Heck, that was why I invited them, to show off my new house.

We almost always gave each other house warming parties where all friends gathered, brought a little house warming gift and certainly a walk through tour of the house was an essential part of that.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:42 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Anyone in someone's house for the first time, or anytime, should behave like a guest, not like an inspector general. For that matter, friends shouldn't invite themselves in, which also happens sometimes. If you haven't been invited in, there's a reason, usually. (Hostess is behind in cleaning, there's a paint job going on, or whatever).

OP, the next time your old friends are over for any reason, put a child gate across the entry to that hallway. I bet Mr. Old Friend won't have the guts to step over it to satisfy his curiousity. If the clod asks if you have a pet or a grandchild visiting, or something, smile and say, "No, we're just tired of guests wandering off and poking around the private section of the house."

Jeez. It's a little alarming how many clueless people there are, these days.
I know. Such nosy, rude people there are. A little off topic, but I recently had to teach my wife the "Keep your hands out of my purse" thing. I don't know how many of us still believe in respecting the hallowed domain of each other's purses, but one should not go digging into another's purse without express permission. It's not about hiding anything; it's about respect. And why did the friends get mad about it? They need to grow a thicker skin.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:49 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:

No..that's why we are friends..I respect their privacy and they mine. I don't like people poking around my house and I would do it to anyone else.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
OK here's my take:

I love interior design, architecture, vintage and historical homes, remodeling, etc. Any friend of mine knows this. Even my casual acquaintances know this since it is an absolute passion of mine.

We bought a home a few years ago that needed a lot of updating and we've been doing that - big projects - for the past three years. We gutted and remodeled the kitchen, painted and put new flooring in just about every nook and cranny, did TONS of work on the landscaping and outdoor living areas (including expanding our patio about 1000 more feet, adding a fire pit, pergola, etc) and now we're about to gut and remodel the master bath. My friends all know these projects have been ongoing.

I also worked in interior decorating and then real estate for many years in this area.

Not trying to brag but our house is really cool. Even people who don't know us well walk in and immediately say "WOW!" and start asking questions - about the type of floor, the counter tops, the layout, the fire pit, you name it. Conversations about decorating and homes etc immediately and spontaneously start the minute they step inside our foyer.

I don't work professionally in interior decorating any more but I am usually involved in some sort of decorating project with at least one friend at any given time. For instance, right now I'm working with a girl friend and her 12 year old daughter on redecorating the daughter's room. Good times!

So - people who are new guests in our house nearly always get a tour - of the whole house.

That being said, I never expect to get a tour of anyone else's home and wouldn't dream of snooping around, opening doors, wandering down halls.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:48 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:

you do what makes you most comfortable, and to the man who walked into rooms that he wasn't invited to walk into, I'd have said something.

When I first moved into my new home, I had a neighbor knock on the door, and ask to come in and see it. Like a dummy I allowed her to...and she was the last.

she looked at me and said, wow, whose your decorater? I said me...and she said, "Well, you certainly like high end stuff", as she picked up the place mats off my dining room table and turned them over to look at the label.

Then another neighbor asked if people from her church could come and walk thru my house. I said, No, she said, why and I said, because I don't want strangers tramping thru my home, that's why.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:52 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Start with the master bedroom's en-suite toilet area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships