Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:08 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Every other day? That would drive me nuts. He's not responding. That tells me he doesn't want to talk.
If the person has been a friend for years is the seconds it takes to send an email,foreward a joke too much??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 12:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
He doesn't need to respond; he just needs to know that someone cares.
He will know she cares if she calls or writes a little less often.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
If the person has been a friend for years is the seconds it takes to send an email,foreward a joke too much??
Depends. The OP is frustrated she isn't getting the response she wants, so why keep doing the same thing over and over? Like I said, I don't talk to anyone that often, so to me, it's too much, especially if it isn't being reciprocated.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm going to cut OP a bit of slack. It is very difficult to be around a person who is in a black mood. I just don't think this is the time to walk away from a very long friendship, and a couple of emails are not much price to pay.
She isn't around him, she isn't even talking on the phone to him.

It's email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
What do you want out of this friendship? Apparently five phone calls and 5 emails are too much to bother with for a 15 year friend -- so what are you hoping for? Sending 5 emails is "saintly"? Really?

Do you want your words to magically heal him of his depression? Do you feel he is overindulging his funk and not making any effort towards wellness? Do you blame him for his depression?

Are you looking for permission for throwing this friend overboard and going on with your life, not having to worry about your friend and his funks?
Apparently it is, some friend.

But there are people in life who the minute someone might need even a little help, are in the wind.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:28 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
This guy has absented himself from me.
And while I recognize it is his choice -- not for me to tell him how to cope with his feelings,
but then it is my choice to say - there is a limit...

so .. any thoughts?
I think it is more complicated. Other factors are involved. It is not so simple.

I have been down the depression road many times. For me I cannot continue to be around someone who is very depressed and is not doing something to help themselves. Yes, I get it, it is a dark place to be.

Maybe you aren't strong enough to continue to try to support him. You don't have to feel bad about that. It is okay to be selfish at times for your own mental health. For me--I cannot only take so much because I work on myself constantly. I have to do things and be around people that make my life happy and help fill it with joy. It is my own kind of holistic medicine.

You do have a choice, you have to set your own limits for your own mental health. It is okay to be selfish at times.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:53 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
My thought would be: You've been friends for 15 years, and you can't even outlast a depression for 2-3 months? It sounds like you email, but don't bother to call or see him. Your main point is that your vanity is wounded because he's not asking about you. So you sound like a pretty dismal friend.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:37 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you've been able to "pull yourself up," then you haven't experienced severe depression.
Exactly. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who think that someone in depression can just pull themselves out of it and go for a walk.

You haven't been supporting him. Go over, grab him, take him for a walk, out to lunch, sit and talk in person. An email? That's not hoe you treat a friend.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:40 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,968,153 times
OP I think your asking the wrong question. Its irrelevant what other people's limit is on supporting a friend. All that matters is how much YOU ARE willing to do. And that's purely a personal decision. If you feel like you have done enough then that's that.

Now what I think you were really asking based on your situation is do others on this board think you are doing enough? If that's the question then I absolutely think you aren't doing enough (or even close to it) IF you consider this person a close friend.

If I was in a situation like yours with a close friend, I would be willing to go and sit in silence for an hour every day indefinitely if the person told me it made them feel better. So in comparison writing an email/calling every few days and not having him ask you questions seems like a trivial amount of effort on your part. However, from a purely logical point of view the decision on "how much effort is enough" is personal and completely up to you.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:13 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Exactly. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who think that someone in depression can just pull themselves out of it and go for a walk.

You haven't been supporting him. Go over, grab him, take him for a walk, out to lunch, sit and talk in person. An email? That's not hoe you treat a friend.
I remember years ago, one of our neighbors/friend committed suicide. He had shown no sign of depression at all to us. I mentioned to my father-in-law that I was very upset that this had happened. FIL commented that our friend should have "pulled himself up by his bootstraps." Unbelievable! I hope people are more aware today.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:34 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,013,634 times
It hard to say.. I know some times we are getting tired of things too... but as other member said.. just send an email don;t bother about his answers ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships