Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:24 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,711,046 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about moral support.
We've been friends for 15 years, always been a good relationship. Beginning of January he went into a deep funk.
He's been in a funk before and I've been supportive throughout. And he has done same for me.
This time it's been a month, 5 weeks...
and I've almost had it.
At the beginning he said, that just to hear from me helped. So I would call or email every couple of days - how are you?, a little about what I'm up to.
the response was always the same, he's not doing too good, he's going to see his therapist, he's going to see his psychiatrist.
never a question - how am I? what am I up to?

I've been in severe depressions in my life. I will pull myself up, go for a walk, call someone, talk to someone.
This guy has absented himself from me.
And while I recognize it is his choice -- not for me to tell him how to cope with his feelings,
but then it is my choice to say - there is a limit...
I told his sister (they talk every day/ or a few times a day), that for me to continue in this one-sided situation I'd have to be a relative, a lover, or a saint--
and I am none of these.

so .. any thoughts?

er.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 09:46 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Personally, I don't think a friendly email perhaps once a week is all that demanding. I have no intention of being a free psychiatrist, but I don't walk away from friends or family because they are sick.

15 year friendship with some one who has had your back during your own bad times is not a casual acquaintance.

Unfortunately, you can't fix him, but it sure isn't going to be a big help if you turn your back on him. Do the chit-chat email once a week, it won't kill you.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:29 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,711,046 times
yeah, it's true.

(it wouldn't kill me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Personally, I don't think a friendly email perhaps once a week is all that demanding. I have no intention of being a free psychiatrist, but I don't walk away from friends or family because they are sick.

15 year friendship with some one who has had your back during your own bad times is not a casual acquaintance.

Unfortunately, you can't fix him, but it sure isn't going to be a big help if you turn your back on him. Do the chit-chat email once a week, it won't kill you.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:19 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
We've been friends for 15 years, always been a good relationship. Beginning of January he went into a deep funk.
He's been in a funk before and I've been supportive throughout. And he has done same for me.
and I've almost had it.
At the beginning he said, that just to hear from me helped. So I would call or email every couple of days - how are you?, a little about what I'm up to.
the response was always the same, he's not doing too good, he's going to see his therapist, he's going to see his psychiatrist.

I've been in severe depressions in my life. I will pull myself up, go for a walk, call someone, talk to someone.
And while I recognize it is his choice -- not for me to tell him how to cope with his feelings,
I told his sister (they talk every day/ or a few times a day), that for me to continue in this one-sided situation I'd have to be a relative, a lover, or a saint--
and I am none of these.

so .. any thoughts?

er.
Wow, you're really knocking yourself out aren't you?

Sending an email every couple of days.

It's not like this has been going on for years. Good thing he doesn't need someone to come over because he had knee surgery and needs someone to bring him meals.

You're coming off as very self absorbed.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:31 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:
If you've been able to "pull yourself up," then you haven't experienced severe depression.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:31 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,257,364 times
If you guys have been good friends for 15 years, I'd stick with him through this rough period that he's going through right now. You never know but your support could be what's "keeping his head above the water" so to speak.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:50 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
Ask him if hearing from you is useful right now or if he needs to take a break.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:43 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
Quote:
and I've almost had it.

and I am none of these.

so .. any thoughts?

er.

When a person is severely depressed it is hard to focus on anything other than themselves and the emotional pain they are feeling at the time. That you are able to "pull yourself up, go for a walk, call someone, etc." is admirable but I don't know many people, including myself who can force myself to not feel depressed. When I'm going through a bad time, I do not want to talk to anybody.The problem is too many people look at depression as something you can will yourself out of which is entirely untrue. If he said hearing from you helps send him a text or an email every day and just say "hey, just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about your or praying for you" or whatever.

Please try to be patient with your friend and understand that he is not deliberating dissing you by not asking how YOU are.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:52 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Does he live in the same town as you? If so, if you could get him to take a walk with you, that would be good. Sometimes exercise helps depression a bit.

I think you are expecting too much of him for him to be interested in talking about you when he is so down.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:37 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Wow, you're really knocking yourself out aren't you?......
I'm going to cut OP a bit of slack. It is very difficult to be around a person who is in a black mood. I just don't think this is the time to walk away from a very long friendship, and a couple of emails are not much price to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships