Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 06:39 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,698,588 times

Advertisements

I'm a little flabbergasted at someone who would say, "Yeah, you helped me -- so what?" Entitled, much? Helping someone move is a big deal, in my book. If they don't feel any sense of reciprocity or obligation for the favor, there's not much you can do -- but I'd be a little careful about future "favors" for this "friend."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 06:49 AM

28 posts, read 27,931 times
When I asked her to drive me to the airport it basically to save money on parking. Which is $16 a day. It was a month long trip so the parking would be $480.00. I lived at the time about 60 miles from the airport so a taxi would have been very expensive. Actually, the lady who would not drive us to the airport, which was 3 miles from her house, was a family friend and my wife was closest to her at the time. My wife was very upset at her.

It was not a case of scheduling, the friend was free. She just did not want to do it.

I agree friendship should not be a formal tit for tat arrangement. But if we can't exchange help on occasion, it is not much of a friendship in my opinion. Though most people who have replied so far don't agree.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:59 AM

6,591 posts, read 8,476,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocratic View Post
It is a lot of work to move people's furniture. That is why when most people want help moving, most friends run for cover and say they are busy.

So one time I was excited about having a new friend and when she asked for help moving things I was not too busy and spent my afternoon helping with the move.

I always thought that one aspect of friendship was: " I help you with something, and then you help me later" Life has told me through the years that most people don't think that way. I do them a big favor and then when I need help, they are usually too busy to help me. When I complain, they say my philosophy of: "I help you with something, and then you help me" does not make sense. They say "I don't owe you anything. You helped me, that was nice, but it should not be a tit for tat arrangement."

A common reply should be, "well find new and better friends." But most new friends seem to agree with the lady who I helped move but would not help me out when I needed her. Thoughts?
I do agree that a friend is someone you should be able to ask for help on occasion. However, you have not provided enough details to determine if you were wronged.

Personally, if it would greatly inconvenience a friend and I had other options, I would not expect a ride to the airport.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:21 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,500,367 times
Quote:
Thoughts?
She was a "new" friend to you. To her, you were just some guy to be used. Write her off and be thankful she showed her true colors.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:55 AM

407 posts, read 372,547 times
This sounds oddly familiar...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...-not-give.html

Old 05-15-2017, 08:00 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,678,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
This is why DJ Khaled said "No New Friends."

Old 05-15-2017, 08:07 AM

6,591 posts, read 8,476,140 times
Quote:
When I asked her to drive me to the airport it basically to save money on parking. Which is $16 a day. It was a month long trip so the parking would be $480.00. I lived at the time about 60 miles from the airport so a taxi would have been very expensive. Actually, the lady who would not drive us to the airport, which was 3 miles from her house, was a family friend and my wife was closest to her at the time. My wife was very upset at her.

It was not a case of scheduling, the friend was free. She just did not want to do it.

I agree friendship should not be a formal tit for tat arrangement. But if we can't exchange help on occasion, it is not much of a friendship in my opinion. Though most people who have replied so far don't agree.
And apparently you were expecting her to store your car for a month?

In your previous thread, you stated she lived 20 miles from the airport and your trip was two weeks long. Which is it, OP?

Old 05-15-2017, 08:10 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,525,537 times
This story has been on here before!

Old 05-15-2017, 08:11 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,727,331 times
My thoughts are, I would stop helping people move. The favor is rarely returned, if ever.

I knew someone who moved every six months, and had so much stuff that it took her a month to move out completely. She enlisted everyone she knew to help. This was an ongoing part of her life, she couldn't stay in one house very long. She never took anyone out to dinner to thank them, or offered to compensate them for their time. We'd be at her home for hours boxing things up and carrying them down stairs. The last straw for me was, she asked me to help her again the day after my mother's funeral. I decided to just get rid of her altogether, she didn't care that I'd lost a parent and it was just all about her and what she wanted. I haven't spoken to her since. Last I heard, she's still moving around, all over the city, and can't stay in one place.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:18 AM

50,597 posts, read 47,429,714 times
**poof**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships