Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How friendly are you to most strangers and acquaintances?
10 (super friendly) 8 10.00%
9 10 12.50%
8 20 25.00%
7 15 18.75%
6 7 8.75%
5 5 6.25%
4 2 2.50%
3 5 6.25%
2 3 3.75%
1 (Cold as Ice!) 5 6.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 12:48 PM

11 posts, read 8,637 times

Advertisements

One thing I have noticed a lot recently is how people I know react and converse with strangers and acquaintances. Now I know it is hard to formally define a friendly person but let's do the best we can.

I watch my wife interact with strangers and distant acquaintances and she seems cold to me. My mother never seems to find anyone she is not very- very-very friendly too. She just has a way with people and can turn strangers into friends so quickly.

I am talking about strangers you have a reason to interact with. Coworkers, distant neighbors, vendors, repairmen, hairstylists, sales clerks, the cashier at the grocery store, the mailman, etc.

When you interact with people like this are you warm and open? Do you smile, exchange small talk if appropriate, make them feel important? Do you say please and thank you?

Please take the poll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 01:12 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,813,040 times
I voted two. I will return a hi how are you, I will be respectful, but no one is going to accuse me of being warm and friendly with strangers. I'm just a super reserved person.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:16 PM

676 posts, read 727,948 times
I will say hi to co workers but I won't go out of my way to chat them up untill I have been around them long enough. If you are a neighbor I will never cross that barrior. I leave them be and they can leave me be. I basically give what I receive.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:20 PM

10,505 posts, read 7,076,788 times
I greet people. I don't suffocate them, but my wife claims that I can have a conversation with just about anyone. I know the 'No' signals, but it's usually worth a shot.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:49 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,026,108 times
I am pretty friendly to people I have to interact with (work, neighbors). Sometimes I wonder if I'm too friendly as it has been mistaken for romantic interest a few times. However, I usually only interact with them if they approach first.

To complete strangers on the street, I'm just a little warmer than ice cold. I prefer to be left alone so I don't want to encourage interaction.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:21 PM

102,258 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Investor View Post
One thing I have noticed a lot recently is how people I know react and converse with strangers and acquaintances. Now I know it is hard to formally define a friendly person but let's do the best we can.

I watch my wife interact with strangers and distant acquaintances and she seems cold to me. My mother never seems to find anyone she is not very- very-very friendly too. She just has a way with people and can turn strangers into friends so quickly.

I am talking about strangers you have a reason to interact with. Coworkers, distant neighbors, vendors, repairmen, hairstylists, sales clerks, the cashier at the grocery store, the mailman, etc.

When you interact with people like this are you warm and open? Do you smile, exchange small talk if appropriate, make them feel important? Do you say please and thank you?

Please take the poll!
OP, I don't make small talk with hairdressers, or massage therapists, while they're working on me. I like to zone out. If that means I come across "cold", that's too bad. I do enjoy chatting with cashiers, co-workers, random strangers I encounter in stores, if we're at the cashier stand together, or to say a neighborly "hello" to people I pass on the sidewalk when out for a walk. That's normal where I come from. Sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised, and have an interesting exchange, or share a laugh. I love the serendipity of that!

Old 06-01-2017, 02:26 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,702,120 times
I'm guessing I'm a five. I try to say "Hi" to everyone I pass, but can usually pick up their "don't even go there" body language ahead of time.

If anyone is willing to approach me, I'm happy to have a conversation. You learn a lot about people and yourself in those situations. Granted, some of the things you learn may not be what you wanted, but I always have the choice to continue the conversation or break it off and move along.

I've had several people tell me that I can get along with anyone. I've met a few along the way who have tested that premise, but generally agree with it otherwise.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:54 PM

13,288 posts, read 8,492,714 times
Since I work with the public, dern tooting I better be friendly,gracious and accommodating to their requests. It's been a treat to hear their adventures or how some just need an ear to listen.

When though I am on the other side ....I prefer to be left alone. I use up all my allotted words at work to assist, so quiet time is savored when off the clock.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:02 PM

151 posts, read 127,120 times
I gave it a 3.

I will always say please and thank you, or excuse me/sorry if I have to get your attention, and I'll always hold the door if someone's behind me. I'll say hello if someone says hello to me. But other than that, I'm pretty quiet. Just never been a small talk type of person.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:04 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,668,329 times
I'm a social person and friendly, at the very least I smile at everyone and try to exchange pleasantries with most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships