Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:59 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,183,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
JustJazzy, I think it's great that you contacted her sister. I know there are people who think you shouldn't try to check up on missing friends, but that's how those awful news stories happen where a person has been dead in their house for 5 years and nobody thought to check on them.

Humans are social. She's your friend, you were supposed to see her on Tuesday and she's disappeared.

It's not too much at this point to call her work and ask for her, and ask for police to do a welfare check at her house.

Because that's what friends do when their friends disappear.
Great input, ClaraC! *whew* So it's not just me, overreacting, or something.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:59 PM

60 posts, read 58,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
This is indeed curious. I have a non-Investigation Discovery Channel theory if it makes you feel better. One of them was exposed in an affair (or other scandal?), so as the first response they removed their social media profiles while they cope with the fallout (this is advice I have seen on marriage/infidelity websites). They are hunkering down trying to save their marriage in privacy. The digital way of taking the phone off the hook.

Plausible?

I think the key is if she is still showing up at work or not.

I hope they are OK, OP, I dont think you are overrreacting.
I thought about that too! Marriage troubles/cheating. But she would still respond to a text a week ago or to cancel.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB75 View Post
No hug needed. I'm just giving my thoughts from what I read in your post.

What's great about CD is that you'll get perspectives from both sides, and Ruth4Truth is giving very sound advice from the opposite of my side. Only you know what your friendship was and if there is reason for alarm and can take our input as you see fit.

All that said, I do hope the issue resolves for you in a way that everyone is safe and sound.
I want to be wrong.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB75 View Post
No hug needed. I'm just giving my thoughts from what I read in your post.

What's great about CD is that you'll get perspectives from both sides, and Ruth4Truth is giving very sound advice from the opposite of my side. Only you know what your friendship was and if there is reason for alarm and can take our input as you see fit.

All that said, I do hope the issue resolves for you in a way that everyone is safe and sound.
Yes, let's all go to bed, especially the OP, hoping it all works out in a positive way, sooner or later.

As Clara said, "this is what friends do for each other". No harm done, if it's a false alarm. We'll hope for the best.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, let's all go to bed, especially the OP, hoping it all works out in a positive way, sooner or later.

As Clara said, "this is what friends do for each other". No harm done, if it's a false alarm. We'll hope for the best.
I don't think I'll be sleeping much.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
This is indeed curious. I have a non-Investigation Discovery Channel theory if it makes you feel better. One of them was exposed in an affair (or other scandal?), so as the first response they removed their social media profiles while they cope with the fallout (this is advice I have seen on marriage/infidelity websites). They are hunkering down trying to save their marriage in privacy. The digital way of taking the phone off the hook.

Plausible?

I think the key is if she is still showing up at work or not.

I hope they are OK, OP, I dont think you are overrreacting.
This theory would explain why the profiles were taken down after the OP called the husband. They didn't want to be bothered, because they're dealing with some difficult personal stuff.

Fingers crossed. G'night everybody!

Old 06-28-2017, 10:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,674,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJazzy View Post
Thank you.

I really want to be wrong about my feeling. I thought about calling the cops tonight but I'm going to wait until I call her work tomorrow.
You're welcome. We all want you be wrong about your feeling.

Quote:
If it wasn't a close friendship, I don't know if I'd check into it, if someone didn't show for a lunch, say, and didn't respond to a brief message. But there's more to the story, here. It's uncharacteristic of the friend to not text a few times a week, or to not respond to texts, especially "are you ok" inquiries. Furthermore, suddenly the profile was taken down, along with the husband's.

Now, we could say the OP spooks easily, because of the incident 25 years ago, but she has 2 other people giving her feedback who are in agreement that this is unusual and potentially alarming.

IF someone has disappeared (big IF, let's hope it's a false alarm), the sooner you report them missing, the better chance there is of finding them. A weekend has already come and gone. Let's not let another one come and go before someone figures out that something is off with this couple, and decides to investigate.
I would, I get together every once in awhile with a women I know from my volunteer work. She is elderly, we're not friends but acquaintances. If she didn't show up I would inquire. Because that would be unlike her.

Unfortunately I can think of two situations off hand and one involved a guy under 40, no one heard from him, texts and calls went unanswered. He worked from home so there was employer wondering where he was. Well enough people got worried and a wellness check was done, he died in his apartment a few days earlier.

My feeling is better safe than sorry.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
This theory would explain why the profiles were taken down after the OP called the husband. They didn't want to be bothered, because they're dealing with some difficult personal stuff.

Fingers crossed. G'night everybody!
Goodnight.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJazzy View Post
I don't think I'll be sleeping much.
Talk yourself into the view that just because it happened once before with someone in your life, doesn't mean that's what's happening here. Psych yourself, OP, so you can sleep.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:11 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,352,865 times
OP, first thing in the morning, call her job. If no results, call the local police. I don't even know this person....and even I'm beginning to worry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships