Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 10:31 AM

413 posts, read 701,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I'm a woman over 35, and I have a female cousin who is even older, and we are the last of our bloodline. we are pressured constantly to have kids to preserve the blood, but neither of us have had the desire. We're both very career oriented, so I guess that had a lot to do with it.
What, though, really is preserved in your bloodline? Your children have half of your genes, but by the time of your great grandchildren it is 12% at the most, and beyond that little more is shared than with a random person from the general population. None of our genes is unique, we share most of them with every other human. I think it is more important to help ensure the future of human-kind in general than my descendants in particular. I have no children, but there is as much of me in my nieces and nephews as there would be in my direct grandchildren. Have children for their own sake, but not to preserve a legacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 04:43 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I know there's people who are sure they don't want kids. But is there anybody who is older and still hasn't decided yet.

Ok, I'm a good amount older than 35 actually. But I am a guy.

So, what do you do if you're still not sure?

I guess you could say I live the life of a much younger person. I still like going to the bar and drinking beers, watching movies I've watched before, and I have a variety of hobbies and interests that are still pretty strong. I love my goofing off time.

My social network is thin, but dating/relationship has provided me with entertainment and adventures recently.

There's just never been a strong urge for me to have kids. I mean, I think I could be a good father. But I also think it would 'get in the way' of me enjoying life if that makes sense. Plus, I really don't like my career that much, so the idea of working my arse off and coming home and having no time to unwind is a bit scary.

People have told me I'm selfish for these reasons. I think that's rubbish. But I digress.

What do you do if you're still not sure at this age? Let's just say I should probably decide soon. Or at least strongly lean one way.

Any others in this boat or have been? Any experiences, and ideas?
I'm a good bit older than 35 and I am comfortable with my choice not to have kids. I have moments where I wonder, but overall I'm ok with it. I'm biased obviously, but I think it's dumber than a bag of hammers to call someone selfish for not having kids. I mean who do you think you are dictating who should have kids, I mean it's almost offensive to me. No one owes society kids. I can see if we're rebuilding from the zombie apocalypse and need more people, fine, otherwise keep your wagging finger out of my face.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
What, though, really is preserved in your bloodline? Your children have half of your genes, but by the time of your great grandchildren it is 12% at the most, and beyond that little more is shared than with a random person from the general population. None of our genes is unique, we share most of them with every other human. I think it is more important to help ensure the future of human-kind in general than my descendants in particular. I have no children, but there is as much of me in my nieces and nephews as there would be in my direct grandchildren. Have children for their own sake, but not to preserve a legacy.
Mitochobdrial DNA is preserved forever in female descendants. I like the thought of oreserving my maternal "bloodlne."

Old 07-11-2017, 01:06 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
There are times I want to have kids but then I remember dating is a lot of work so it turns me off to marriage, I like my freedom, and the world is overpopulated and likely headed for a major environmental catastrophe.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:58 AM

98 posts, read 168,073 times
I'm 32 and have two kids, and I'm still not sure I want them.

(Only half kidding. I love my kids dearly, but my oldest was an accident and I yearn for my freedom back. So. Badly.)

Old 07-11-2017, 12:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
71, never had kids never wanted them. I never gave a flying fig about continuing my bloodline. There's only one me on this earth and that's enough.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:32 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
I am 35. I travel all over the world. I work. I do what I want when I want.

Being childless is awesome!

What did you do today? Changed a poopy diaper? Oh, I hiked up a volcano in Central America

Old 07-12-2017, 11:38 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,315,264 times
Selfish is selfish is selfish no matter the age or status:kids/no kids.

It can be very selfish to bring children into this hectic world.

It can be very selfish to not: "It's all about ME! ME! ME!"

OP-- Perhaps explore all of this with a good counselor.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:41 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,729 times
I'm unsure and I'm going to be 30 this year. It's a little different for me because i'm a woman. consider yourself lucky that you have a lot of time to decide. This is something that causes me stress pretty much on a daily basis so i can understand the difficulty of being unsure, but like i said, it's a lot harder as a woman.

Either way, it sounds like you are very content with your life. If you wanted to have kids maybe you would feel like you are missing out on something and you would have had them already. sounds like you are pretty fulfilled which is awesome!

Old 07-12-2017, 11:52 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Selfish is selfish is selfish no matter the age or status:kids/no kids.

It can be very selfish to bring children into this hectic world.

It can be very selfish to not: "It's all about ME! ME! ME!"

OP-- Perhaps explore all of this with a good counselor.
it's not always about me me me even when you don't have children.

A dear friend of mine desperately wants children but she takes care of her sick parents full-time. Hardly seems selfish to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships