Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:00 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,151,729 times

Advertisements

I know there's people who are sure they don't want kids. But is there anybody who is older and still hasn't decided yet.

Ok, I'm a good amount older than 35 actually. But I am a guy.

So, what do you do if you're still not sure?

I guess you could say I live the life of a much younger person. I still like going to the bar and drinking beers, watching movies I've watched before, and I have a variety of hobbies and interests that are still pretty strong. I love my goofing off time.

My social network is thin, but dating/relationship has provided me with entertainment and adventures recently.

There's just never been a strong urge for me to have kids. I mean, I think I could be a good father. But I also think it would 'get in the way' of me enjoying life if that makes sense. Plus, I really don't like my career that much, so the idea of working my arse off and coming home and having no time to unwind is a bit scary.

People have told me I'm selfish for these reasons. I think that's rubbish. But I digress.

What do you do if you're still not sure at this age? Let's just say I should probably decide soon. Or at least strongly lean one way.

Any others in this boat or have been? Any experiences, and ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 11:23 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,173,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I know there's people who are sure they don't want kids. But is there anybody who is older and still hasn't decided yet.

-Sometimes, having a baby is a natural part of being in a relationship with someone you love. Just let it happen, it feels
real good to just let go.

Ok, I'm a good amount older than 35 actually. But I am a guy.

-never to late to have kids, but if you are in your 50's, realize you will be 70 when the kid graduates HS.

So, what do you do if you're still not sure?

-re evaluate what you want for your future, memories of your own family, or memories of hanging out, being free, at
the bar, building model cars.

I guess you could say I live the life of a much younger person. I still like going to the bar and drinking beers, watching movies I've watched before, and I have a variety of hobbies and interests that are still pretty strong. I love my goofing off time.

-you can still do some of those things. you make your own life. Do not think your hobbies will disappear , just all that
time doing it will be shortened. thee is DVR, School Hours, kids sleeping schedules, weekends.

My social network is thin, but dating/relationship has provided me with entertainment and adventures recently.

-Your social network will be improved, kids are a social magnet. Kids provide entertainment and adventure. Kids
provide school friends, park friend, connection with neighbors.

There's just never been a strong urge for me to have kids. I mean, I think I could be a good father. But I also think it would 'get in the way' of me enjoying life if that makes sense.

-you do not only have to be a good father, but a good husband , leader, teacher. Get over your fear, it is a natural part
of life. Maybe you are not in a serious enough relationship, and just have not found that one.

Plus, I really don't like my career that much, so the idea of working my arse off and coming home and having no time to unwind is a bit scary.

-you will have time to unwind, when the kids go to sleep. If you do not like your career, change it, should not affect the
desire to have kids. Having kids would only help you focus on saving money, being responsible, have a better outlook
on life.

People have told me I'm selfish for these reasons. I think that's rubbish. But I digress.

-It is selfish and immature, in a way. Your parents had you, and if they chose their fun times over raising you, you
would not be. You have kids, to produce half an image of yourself. To teach what you know, and to help the child see
his dreams become a reality. You do have alot of knowledge "gems" to share.

What do you do if you're still not sure at this age? Let's just say I should probably decide soon. Or at least strongly lean one way.

-You would not even be here discussing it , if your were not leaning towards it. No one can decide, but you and your
Significant Other. You are thinking of it, right.

Any others in this boat or have been? Any experiences, and ideas?
-We waited to save enough bank, to travel, to experience, buy a home... but a little birdie told me, "dude you are
married, just let it happen." that stuck in my mind, and I said, f' it. Who better to experience life with, than a family of my own.

Last edited by kapikap; 07-03-2017 at 11:32 PM..

Old 07-03-2017, 11:30 PM

5,614 posts, read 6,555,064 times
As a guy you can have them whenever you find the right (younger) woman. Just read in a magazine today that Steve Martin has a 4 year old daughter, his only child, and he is now 71. Tony Randall had his only 2 children in his '80's.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:08 AM

10,591 posts, read 4,122,205 times
I'm a woman over 35, and I have a female cousin who is even older, and we are the last of our bloodline. we are pressured constantly to have kids to preserve the blood, but neither of us have had the desire. We're both very career oriented, so I guess that had a lot to do with it.

I really don't want kids, but, I won't lie, last year when I skipped a few periods and found out I wasn't pregnant, I thought I was finally going through the beginning stages of menopause, I was a little sad that I had never had children of my own to continue my father's blood. But then it was just an irregularity and I began my cycle again, but still have no urge to become pregnant...... It's a conflicting feeling.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:34 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,568,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
As a guy you can have them whenever you find the right (younger) woman. Just read in a magazine today that Steve Martin has a 4 year old daughter, his only child, and he is now 71. Tony Randall had his only 2 children in his '80's.
Thoughtless idiots. Those late-in-lifes are children who will grow up without fathers far too young. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Children aren't trophies.

I'll be 71 in a month. Yesterday I became a great grandfather to a precious little girl. That's more like it!

Old 07-09-2017, 03:14 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,330,591 times
Nobody cares about your bloodline. Do what makes you happy.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:35 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,709,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Thoughtless idiots. Those late-in-lifes are children who will grow up without fathers far too young. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Children aren't trophies.

I'll be 71 in a month. Yesterday I became a great grandfather to a precious little girl. That's more like it!
I always thought the ones having children so young were thoughtless. In my opinion at your age your grandchildren should be in grade school not having children of their own. Have children in your 30's and grandchildren in your 60's.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:49 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,276,664 times
73 and don't regret not having kids even though when my wife passed two years ago, I looked around and saw only one close relative remaining, and he lives 1,000 miles away.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:16 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,568,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I always thought the ones having children so young were thoughtless. In my opinion at your age your grandchildren should be in grade school not having children of their own. Have children in your 30's and grandchildren in your 60's.
Between us my wife (recently deceased) and I have 15 grandchildren and two great grands with another due in September. Kind of interesting for two only children. So shoot us. By the way, all but four of the grands are in grade school or preschool. Two are young adults and two are infants.

Thank you for your non-binding opinion. Everyone has one.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:07 AM

3,428 posts, read 3,361,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Mick Jagger became a father again, recently, at 73. His grandchildren are older than his daughter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships