Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 06:13 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,140,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I'm calmed down. There's no point in ruining everything over some dead guy.
I'm not sure if I'm explaining that it's not bc the test says I'm 5% Italian or whatever that's making me say he's not my dad. It's bc the DNA relatives is linking me as first and second cousins to the other man's family.
The nationality thing may not be perfect but the fact that I'm cousins with the guy who my mom ****ed around the time I was conceived is the main issue.
Judas Priest...you need a paternity test, NOT a heritage test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 08:05 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,342,583 times
Mom and Dad are the ones who love you and raise you, not the ones who have a fling and poop out the baby and abandon him/her.

You should read the bibliography of Julie Andrews, the actress in The Sounds of Music, on Wikipedia. She did not know her biological father until she was 15 years old. And she did not reveal this "secrete" to the media until 2008.

There are thousands or millions of children who were born and abandoned by irresponsible people; but fortunately there were people who wanted them and loved them and raised them. Who cares about your past. You are not alone. Millions of people are in the same situation as yours. There's no secrete. Just let go and move on. Be grateful to the ones who loved you and raised you. Do good things back to your dad who raised you.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,300,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Judas Priest...you need a paternity test, NOT a heritage test.
Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:06 AM

6,804 posts, read 4,514,802 times
Families should never keep things like that secret from their children. We all have a right to know our true roots and our medical history. I have several hereditary medical problems that do not exist anywhere within my family. I KNOW I have illegitimate status somewhere, but nobody will talk about even though I'm in my 60s.

That being said, our "real" dads are the men who raised us, fed and clothed us, put us through school and did all the things real dads do.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:07 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,611,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Your "real" dad is the one who raised you and was there for you your entire life. The other guy may have contributed DNA, but he's not family.

Are you sure that your mother never told your dad about your parentage? He might have known all along.

Exactly - don't confuse the word "dad" with the concept of a genetic father.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:53 AM

348 posts, read 419,589 times
When I was an adult, I found out my big sister has a different father. She's literally my sister from another mister.
However...
My father adopted her and raised her as his own when he married my mom. She has ALWAYS been my sister. Not my half sister, step sister, whatever. It doesn't matter who her biological father was. It did, however, shed some light on some of the tensions I saw between her and my dad growing up, and that one period where she called herself by a different last name...

In my case, I appreciated the reasons why they kept the truth from me, and I appreciated finally being told the truth. My sister is still my sister. That doesn't change the love and the bond.

-T.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:35 PM

199 posts, read 131,469 times
I think so many on this thread want for this now deceased person to NOT be your Father that they are ignoring the strong evidence that you are providing. I would give a lot of thought to the option of telling "Dad" what you have uncovered but tell him how much you value his relationship and the positive impact he has made in your life since becoming a part of it. Why does this relationship have to be "Father/Daughter" to get most if not all the same benefits (non-financial) both of you have been getting from it?

Old 08-07-2017, 12:57 PM

10,522 posts, read 7,128,266 times
Your genetic father is a sperm donor. Your real father is the man who raised you.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:32 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,235,534 times
I would tear up that DNA test and never bring it up again...I agree with Bo your Dad does not want or need a test...he loves you...you love him.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:46 PM

50,517 posts, read 64,463,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Thanks for all your thoughts and insight. I think I'm resolute in my decision to not say anything. I haven't told anyone so I'm good there.
I'm going to take an Internet break and try to focus on other things.
I really appreciate all the advice.
I think that is a smart decision. Give it a few months and see how you feel. The only fly in the ointment is if dad gets a genealogy test too. If he did, do you think he would say anything to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships