Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 07:37 PM

46 posts, read 34,944 times

Advertisements

Nobody in the office will know my retirement plans in advance. When that day comes, I will simply walk into the human resources office, turn in my equipment, and that will be it.

The jobs I've worked at have had no problem abruptly firing people without regard to their personal situation, so I will have no problem making a sudden departure.

I don't care about the people I work with and they don't care about me, so why pretend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 05:00 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,055,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerofsongs View Post
Okay, so I'm about 1 year out from retiring with my husband who is 9 years older than me. He's pretty close to the age one would retire at while not being too old. Because I'm younger, people who I thought were my "friends" and made the mistake of sharing this bit of information to when the subject was brought up, are now constantly say I'm too "young" to retire. I have now started being asked the following questions:

What am I going to do when I retire?
How could I possibly afford to retire?
Are you leaving the state?
You're not old enough to start receiving your company pension are you?
Are you going to get a part-time job?

You get the jest of where I'm going here......... I am a pretty private person and I like it that way, but I know that because I have formed "work" relationships with co-workers (most of whom I do not socialize with outside of work), people will "naturally" ask many of the above...
Don't let it get it you. Dh and I are younger retirees as well. I'll be 50 when I retire and most of my friends and co workers ask the same questions out of curiosity. Most of them can't understand how someone can retire so young when they can't even make ends meet at the end of the month.

As someone else said, you don't have to answer every question they ask.

good luck and enjoy your retirement...I know I will

Old 11-01-2017, 03:28 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,313,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerofsongs View Post
Okay, so I'm about 1 year out from retiring with my husband who is 9 years older than me. He's pretty close to the age one would retire at while not being too old. Because I'm younger, people who I thought were my "friends" and made the mistake of sharing this bit of information to when the subject was brought up, are now constantly say I'm too "young" to retire. I have now started being asked the following questions:

What am I going to do when I retire?
How could I possibly afford to retire?
Are you leaving the state?
You're not old enough to start receiving your company pension are you?
Are you going to get a part-time job?

You get the jest of where I'm going here......... I am a pretty private person and I like it that way, but I know that because I have formed "work" relationships with co-workers (most of whom I do not socialize with outside of work), people will "naturally" ask many of the above questions and expect some sort of answer.

We are moving to a different state but if I tell most people where, it opens up another can of worms. Like the next question of where in that state are you moving? Sad to say this but I know that most of the people who ask this question will "google" the area to try to figure out our cost of living there, housing, crime rate, etc.

We plan to travel, visit loved ones, take up hobbies and all the other stuff retired people tend to do. And while I don't want to be rude, I don't want to tell people my business either. ESPECIALLY co-workers who I know could care less about me and only want to "gather" information to use against me when talking to others which I can only assume is because they're envious, jealous, or plan irritated that I'm retiring before them (sadly my boss falls in the category).

Because I am a pretty private person and the majority of people I work with know very little about me, with the exception of my immediate circle of co-workers, and they just know the basics...how many kids, how long I've been married, pretty general stuff. Very few know where I live or have been to my home.

I am in a high profile job; meaning I am in contact with a very large group of people who work for the same company and about 70% of the people know who I am and have dealt with me on a professional, yet very friendly level. I am a very outgoing person and I respect the privacy of others and expect the same for myself. I really could use some advice as to how to respond to people, without being rude, but yet set up immediate boundaries that will hopefully make people be respectful and accepting of the fact that I am not a "spill the beans" type of person!

One last thought, I know there will most likely be a going away party given in my honor, so I want to have my answers down by the time I'm faced with the inevitable......
Maybe you can tell them, "We haven't gotten that far yet".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships