Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:07 PM

10,981 posts, read 7,528,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
To some degree. So it isn't unreasonable that some could also volunteer some like she does? Not that y'all have to, but it seems like not an unreasonable thought on her part? A lot of volunteers are passionate and want others to join in whatever their cause is.
And a lot of us who volunteer get bummed out and burned out that there aren't more people helping.

I used to volunteer at the combination public and school library; none of the parents ever helped, it was all retirees with no kids at the school. I got a kindle and quit helping at the library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 02:55 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,661,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
But that is with insurance, surely! Maybe they don’t have insurance.
No. In fact, I thought I would need at least a root canal if not more. So I asked about buying a dental plan to defray costs and the receptionist said I can do that, but it would be cheaper all the way around just to use their cash-price discount.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:44 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,661,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
That's how she affords those vacations. We scrimp on many things to have money to spend on things we value more. It's just that everyone has different priorities. I have a friend who keeps her thermostat at 60 in winter, but she goes to Cabo twice a year. I prefer to be warm at home, and I haven't been out of the country in 12 years. To each their own.
Absolutely. It's the constant repetition because I am not of means like her. She's trying to act like she relates, trust me. And she doesn't do it as much anymore. When she wanted to talk about her new jet ski she was like 'oh I am sorry'. I said why? I am not a street person. My family had two lake-houses growing up, my father kept 4 horses at a very expensive place, and we all shared the horses and boats and jet skis and 3 wheelers/4 wheelers, motorcycles and on and on. We had every toy. And I used to make good money myself as an adult. I have a closet full of Ralph Lauren (that I grew out of, ha) that would put her wardrobe to shame.

I've been rich and I've been poor. I can relate to both and she gets that now. I want to hear about places I can't go, and the mention of a jet ski doesn't depress me. After all, I can go use it any time I want! My friends used to cultivate friends with boats and stuff so we could go on them!

Old 10-16-2017, 07:34 AM

6,325 posts, read 4,243,064 times
Are you projecting because you are sensitive about your own circumstances? I have been very poor and also very comfortably off and there is one thing I know about hanging around poor people there are " some" a chip on the shoulder or resentment or inferiority complex or super sensitivity. Hanging around rich people there are "some" who have no clue about what it's like to go without, some that feel guilty, some that patronize, some that try to do good, and some who are outright self satisfied judgemental pigs.

If she is a good person who isn't a snob, and she talks about things that relate to her life and experience ( don't we all do that to a degree) then why not just enjoy her for who she is instead of policing her to make YOU feel comfortable. if she is ignorant of how others live or suffer due to economic circumstances then explore conversations that touch on that without personalizing it or directing it at her.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:27 AM

638 posts, read 532,142 times
Quote:
No. In fact, I thought I would need at least a root canal if not more. So I asked about buying a dental plan to defray costs and the receptionist said I can do that, but it would be cheaper all the way around just to use their cash-price discount.
Well, we don't have options like that around here for the middle class. There are free dental clinics for children once a year, and there are certainly charity options, but the wait lists are extremely long for anyone who's not in an emergency situation.

Relying on subsidized health care in my area is going to get you zero health care. Basically the only people who can take advantage of this would be young one-income families who are poor only because one adult doesn't work, thus lowering their total income. Families that even have two incomes, but daycare, would not be eligible for that type of thing.

You may be luckier than you realize with that deal.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,663,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
And a lot of us who volunteer get bummed out and burned out that there aren't more people helping.

I used to volunteer at the combination public and school library; none of the parents ever helped, it was all retirees with no kids at the school. I got a kindle and quit helping at the library.
Because people with school age kids are working usually. And all those rich volunteers are taking jobs from poorer people.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:05 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,317,630 times
Quote:
Yeah IDK what she is supposed to talk about. Everyone can talk about what they are doing except her?
Sounds like that is what the op is saying. She sounds like a nice helpful person.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:08 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,317,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Because people with school age kids are working usually. And all those rich volunteers are taking jobs from poorer people.
My mom use to say that and it made me mad then and it still makes me mad. You realize that volunteers don't get paid right?

Old 10-16-2017, 03:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,326,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I don’t know. I’ve seen middle income or working class people do the same type of thing around the poor (like say, not realizing 20 bucks is a big deal). I think people can just not recognize perspectives outside their own reality sometimes. It doesn’t make them bad people.
Yes.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,326,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
My mom use to say that and it made me mad then and it still makes me mad. You realize that volunteers don't get paid right?
If an institution can, it will use volunteers instrad of paid people. Personnel costs are usually higher than any other costs in an institution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships