Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 10:37 AM

317 posts, read 654,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I am surprised by all the suggestions of nasty or rude responses to someone who has mistaken you for an employee. They are not doing it on purpose.
Have you never asked someone for help only to find the person does not work in the store?
The customary response should be, "I'm sorry I don't work here."
The person often starts out barking orders, frequently starting out with a huffy self-important attitude, outraged that you are not already hopping to help them so the tension is often already there before you can even tell what's going on and respond.

If they politely ask "do you work here?" then it's different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 11:38 AM

88,860 posts, read 85,274,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Do you look young? Could be why.

I was once at a company dinner function held at a 5 star restaurant, and my co-worker's husband mistook me for one of the waitresses and tried to order a drink from me.
This reminded me of when I got married and my friend brought her date to a wedding. He was a drop-dead gorgeous Puerto Rican guy with the stereotypical olive skin and dark hair, and he came to the wedding wearing a white suit.

People kept calling him over asking for drinks or a fork or something. He was getting annoyed, and finally as he walked by and someone yelled, "Oh, waiter", he turned and yelled back "I ain't no f*****g waiter!"

We still laugh about this 30 years later.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:09 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,812,006 times
In my work years, I was always in a quality suit and tie. I never got those questions in Walmart, Target, etc.

However in a quality department store, etc., I had that happen a few times. About half the time it was an employee, mistaking me for one of the upper managers.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:50 PM

3,575 posts, read 2,900,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

I was once at a company dinner function held at a 5 star restaurant, and my co-worker's husband mistook me for one of the waitresses and tried to order a drink from me.
That could have been fun!

"Yes, right away sir!" Then amble back with the drink, sit down at the table and start sipping.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,988,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Back when I used to work in the financial district downtown, I'd sometimes shop at the department store at lunchtime in my clean white shirt and tie. I guess I looked like a manager because people would ask me where stuff is. I always tried to help them.

If I had no clue, I'd say with a smile "I don't know. I don't work here." And they'd laugh and say, "Oh, sorry!"

It's nice to have a bit of social interaction on one's lunch break. Where's the harm?
I don't have all the time in the world during a lunch break. I can have a similar issue during one of my jobs where to walk to the break room, I will easily pass people who need help and ask. However, I'm already on the 30 minute clock to walk to the break room, eat and walk back. Luckily I had an hour this day but yeah, still could hold up time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
This is why.

You don't have to be in the store's 'colors'. Managers typically are not in the same uniform as regular workers.

Do an experiment. Take the badge OFF before going into a store and see if you get the same assumption. If one cannot take a second to take off their badge, then one should not complain that they get mistaken as an employee.
I have many times without the badge only a few actually without the badge on. But as I said, unless the people are idiots, they would realize I didn't have the store's vest or name-tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
One could also take a second to observe what employees of the store actually wear, before just assuming that the closet available person is available to serve them. It's just not that difficult.
If one can't take a moment to do that, one has no right to complain about getting a rude response in reply.

I personally don't respond rudely if this happens unless the other person gets rude to me first, but I can understand why someone would.
Exactly, don't wear red in Target. I didn't. I had a black long sleeve shirt and jeans in Big Lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm an upper 30s male and I often go to walmart or target at lunch. I get asked for help all the time at walmart and every now and then at target. I wear business casual to work.

People at walmart assume anyone dressed halfway nicely is an employee. I'm not sure why though because most employees aren't dressed that nicely. Maybe it's a combo of my business casual and a badge (even though it's obviously not a walmart badge).

I made the mistake a few time of wearing khakis and any shade of red to target. I had to get out of there quick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarite View Post
The person often starts out barking orders, frequently starting out with a huffy self-important attitude, outraged that you are not already hopping to help them so the tension is often already there before you can even tell what's going on and respond.

If they politely ask "do you work here?" then it's different.
I didn't except twice. Once the person thought I lived there (which I did) and was in a huff with the question himself because he asked once but I didn't answer because I didn't know who he was talking to since I was almost out of casual earshot. The second was the most recent interaction where I got asked if I work there right after answering someone and she should have been in casual earshot.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,152,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I honestly hate being asked if I know where things are in stores or if I work at the store. It seems I'm always asked even if I don't have the best or clothes that are common to the store. Please tell me I'm not the only one who is annoyed by this.

It happens to me a lot. I guess people feel comfortable about approaching me because it even happens when I'm wearing a coat, carrying my purse, obviously shopping and pushing a grocery cart. It doesn't annoy me and I don't mind being helpful if I know where they can locate what they're looking for.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:36 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,152,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
You are missing a perfect opportunity to have some fun when someone asks you that. You could start to help them, acting like you work there, then become rude and insulting. It would be fun to watch them go to the manager and complain about his "rude employee". Think how funny it would be when he explains that he/she doesn't work there !

Everyone who works retail would love watching you do it !
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
No, but I work retail. Do it yourself for a while, bet you change your mind.

That's a really juvenile, dirty stunt. With that kind of mean-spirited attitude you shouldn't be working in retail.

I doubt that other people working in retail would think it's funny, especially not those who own or manage the business. One of the problems with your stunt is that it's not only the customer you're playing an unkindness on, it's the retailer too. The retailer is the one who has to suffer the repercussions of loss of customer confidence and loss of business when the angry customer doesn't go complain to the manager but does complain to his friends and family and other customers or snivels about it on FB or elsewhere online.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:37 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,160,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I honestly hate being asked if I know where things are in stores or if I work at the store. It seems I'm always asked even if I don't have the best or clothes that are common to the store. Please tell me I'm not the only one who is annoyed by this.
As far as I'm concerned, you're the only one.

I don't get asked often, but I don't mind. And sometimes I know the answer.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:38 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,609,881 times
I've had it happen a few times. Doesn't bother me. In fact, I have actually helped the people find what they were looking for anyway. Nice to be nice to people.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:22 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,688,010 times
There are some really funny stories about people who are mistaken for employees -- my favorite one in this batch is the one with the guy defending his turkey:

I Don't Work Here! People Reveal The Hilariously Moments They Were Mistaken For Employees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships