Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 06:20 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Hey Dad, your responsibilities as a father don't include going into debt to satisfy your daughter. And, while it's understandable that she will be disappointed, it will benefit her down the road to learn that income only stretches so far, and one must live within one's means.

BUT, don't wait until Christmas morning to break the news. Invite her to breakfast, lunch or even dinner this week, just the two of you, and tell her then. You made a promise you cannot fulfill, and you regret it. Assure her you'd give her the moon and stars if you could, but it isn't possible. At 16, it isn't unreasonable for her to hear the reality of adult expenses.

I agree!

We got my my daughter an IPhone SE for her birthday this year (I have one as well). You can get them much cheaper! Our plan is through Verizon and we pay $17 a month towards the purchase of the phone. That's a lot better than coming up with all the money at once. On a side note, I would NOT buy my child a phone that costs $1k anyway as these phones are being stolen left and right.

I would tell her that you are more than willing to get her a phone just not the new IPhone 7!

Old 12-15-2017, 06:26 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
How about a ‘refurbished’ iPhone (earlier model)? Much reduced in price. I would buy from Apple. I have purchased their refurbished items before and they are like NEW.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:30 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
About a year ago, I bought a "certified refurbished" iPhone 5S for $239 online at Best Buy. It's been just fine for my needs. Deals are out there, if you're willing to accept refurbished.
Sorry, hadn’t read your post before suggesting the same. Refurbished is great!

Old 12-15-2017, 06:34 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
About a year ago, I bought a "certified refurbished" iPhone 5S for $239 online at Best Buy. It's been just fine for my needs. Deals are out there, if you're willing to accept refurbished.
Whether deals exist or not, I think the bigger question was how to deal with expectation, peer pressure, embarrassment, guilt, disappointment, and the reality of the dollar.

I like the idea of a special dinner with your daughter to apologize, explain reality and maybe find a way to work together so she can get what she wants. Hopefully she'll realize that things worth working for end up meaning more. My parents did this...horseback riding lessons. They paid for a set number and explained that beyond that it was up to me to earn the fees. Then they helped me do so either by helping me find and get to a part time job (too young to drive) or paid me for extra projects around the house. As long as I was dedicated to it they helped. They probably could have paid for more lessons but that wasn't the point.

Besides, won't that phone be obsolete in another year anyway?

Old 12-15-2017, 06:46 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
I think we paid $75 for our when we signed a 2 year verizon contract.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:47 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Daughter is in "need" of a status symbol more than she needs a new phone. You are past time for a discussion about the difference between needs and wants – and the realities of what you can afford.

Do you have other children? Regardless that she is 16, does each child also get $1000 in equal Christmas gifts?

You need to nip this bud before it completely blossoms. What's the next thing she just has to have? Your promise is a problem but those "unexpected family situations" aren't going to stop. That's what you need savings for, not an indulgence that the FAMILY cannot afford – no matter how much you'd like to give her the moon.

Your responsibility as a father is to make sure all of you don't end up living in the car while she charges her fancy phone at McDonald's.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:51 PM

919 posts, read 609,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
Ken, you are making a mistake feeling that you are not being the best possible parent. I will not take any cheap shots here, only to say that her Samsung argument is simply absurd. The best gift that any parent can give is to instill the values of sharing and sacrifice. Make it clear that her attempts to guilt trip you will not be successful ... time for her to show some maturity.
This ^^^^

It's sad that kids are so label/brand conscious. I'm not technologically aware but would be doing some research to see what possible advantage the iphone has over the samsung that could possibly justify the $950 price tag.

Although it must be terribly disappointing that your daughter couldn't care less that you're on a budget, don't think she's the exception. She belongs to the MeMeMe! generation.

You're only mistake was to promise her an iphone when she turned 16.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:20 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.24 View Post
Hey everybody:

I'd like some advice regarding an issue I'm dealing with this year as far as Christmas is concerned.
So my youngest daughter Daniella asked my wife and me for the newest iPhone that just got released and I'm not sure how to buy her one without spending most (if not all) of the money I've put aside for Christmas shopping this year. I looked into how much the model she wants costs and the cheapest one I could find was $950. There is no way on earth my wife and me can afford that, we can't even afford the model that costs $450, which to me is an obscene amount of money to pay for a mobile phone to begin with? I would say no and put my foot down but she's been asking for an iPhone for 3 years straight and every single year I always tell her I'll get her one at 16; she's been 16 for almost 2 months now and I know it'll crush her if I turn her down yet again, and locking horns with my daughter really isn't how I'd like to spend Christmas as I know it'll ruin the holiday spirit for our entire family. She also keeps on throwing this argument around that she's the only one out of all her friends with a Samsung and that it's really embarrassing for her. As a parent, that makes me feel greatly conscience-stricken and like I'm not living up to my responsibilities as a father. If I was worth millions I'd offer her the world, but unfortunately we're on a budget we have to stick to and sometimes it can get difficult to get everyone exactly what they want because it's not exactly like I have wads of cash rolling out of my pockets, which is a concept that's difficult for both my daughters to grasp at times, especially during winter break and Christmas.
My wife and me really aren't sure how to handle this so if anyone has any ideas they'd like to pitch it would be greatly appreciated.

Warmest Wishes & Happiest of Holidays to everybody!
-Ken

And she needs an iphone (and the most recent model) rather than an affordable [gasp!] android because....?

Old 12-15-2017, 07:30 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,332 times
This is just the beginning. What if the first car you can afford to buy for her doesn't meet her friends' standards of acceptability?

Old 12-15-2017, 08:41 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,607 times
Haa.. some of you sound you would cater to anything..

First question I have is.. who is the adult and who is the child?

Although you state that you promised her something (that's where you are wrong) and not able to afford it. So now sit her down and state she isn't going to get it.

My first thought is this.. just because she is turning 16 doesn't mean she should get a phone. I would have told her she needed to get a job to pay for her own. Not sure what happened to this generation where Mom and Dad need to go to the poor house to try and keep child happy? Didn't happen back in my time.

Sit her rear end down and put it on paper for her.. Here is what happens when you grow up and have bills to pay. Then point to the tree and let her know.. Money doesn't grow on it....

Then step back, grow a pair and stop promising your child stuff you cant afford. When you can afford it... surprise her with it instead of promising it to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.