Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 07:45 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,630,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I would ask why they don't like her and LISTEN to the answer. You may be surprised and it has nothing to do with her ethnicity, or her skin color. If it is because she is Cuban, that's your parent's problem, not yours. I would want to know if there is a real reason. Parents are sometimes smarter than you think they are. Other times not so much.
I agree with this. My son had a girlfriend of a different race at one time and I really didn't like her for good reason having nothing to do with race. She was just a horrible person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 08:52 AM

529 posts, read 508,877 times
You sure it's cause she Cuban and not for some other reasons? Plenty of reasons too dislike a person, bro. Sometimes you can dislike someone from just looking at them or even hearing them talk. I mean, I'm sure your parents are huge racist, but I'm just saying there's plenty of reasons parents don't dig people their kids being home after a WHOLE 2 months.

Don't see why you couldn't t just ask them sraight why they dislike her? Maybe it's for some other reasons. Maybe privately your girl talked mad **** to them. Who knows.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:25 AM

54 posts, read 38,786 times
I’ll definitely work on me not telling them everything right up front in the future if I date another girl and in hindsight, I should’ve been doing that already. Yes, I do tell them about how my schoolwork is going because they’re footing the bill and made it clear that they wanted to know how it was going. I wouldn’t even call her lazy, lots of kids work on her type of schedule, but, just the fact that this is really the first time I’ve ever dated a girl who wasn’t similar to me as a student is, I’m sure, a shock to my parents. I think that’s one of her best qualities and I again, I envy her for that.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:59 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,599,645 times
That conversation you relayed sounds normal to me. What do you expect them to do? Jump up and down because someone they barely know made the team?

Don't worry whether your parents like your girlfriends. One day they'll be dead, and you'll be left with your mate (if you have one). Pick the ones you want. They'll adjust and grow to love her.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:01 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,962,634 times
Quote:
I would ask why they don't like her and LISTEN to the answer. You may be surprised and it has nothing to do with her ethnicity, or her skin color. If it is because she is Cuban, that's your parent's problem, not yours. I would want to know if there is a real reason. Parents are sometimes smarter than you think they are. Other times not so much.

THIS.

Have a conversation so you understand what's going on instead of making assumptions.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:37 PM

9,433 posts, read 11,191,727 times
You know for a fact that it's a "racial" thing? Because "Cuban" and "Hispanic" are not races.

Maybe they don't like her personality. Maybe you're seeing something that's not there.

OTOH, different cultures obviously have different behavioral norms. Step back and see what you can see here.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:26 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,472,584 times
I have been on both sides. My oh my what a quandary.!

My in laws were absolutely right to dislike my behavior and attitude. Despite how much I 'thought' I loved their son. They 'tolerated' the relationship but years later they made it clear how I turned out just as they suspected. I had to learn the hard way how to change...thank goodness they were my catalyst to do such.

Then as a parent myself I was determined to welcome my son's mate. What a blind fool I was...and sure enough the moment that engagement ring went on her finger...she turned into the dil from down under. Fast forward 15 years and I now understand why trust your instincts need to supersede the 'society' norm of being hospitable to a gold digger. I am not saying your endearing gal is any of that...she may well be a genteel being filled with joy.I just find that some parents have that sixth sense and are prone to listen to it. As others stated...an open conversation may be in order to get a better understanding. If for nothing else it allows you each to know where you stand. Your gf is wise to allow her actions be her gift..forcing her on them does little good.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:16 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,477,835 times
Quote:
This is also what I thought when reading the post. OP may very well be ignoring a lot.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:17 PM

27 posts, read 15,499 times
It's natural for parents to feel that way. Be upfront and ask them why. If the girl likes you a lot, she'll make extra effort too to stay around and understand.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:19 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,011,328 times
Tell your parents to shape up.It'a miracle you didn't out like them.There is now reason for them to be acting the way they're acting.You need to tell them that you don't appreciate it and that it's very mean and rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships