Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 11:18 AM

17,024 posts, read 12,643,830 times

Advertisements

OP. What metro area?

Getting out on your own is easy in Indianapolis and Not nearly so in San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 12:41 PM

1,289 posts, read 942,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
While it seems weird, I can see it happening if the family home is sort of a commune or multi-generational farm:

everyone gets along well
everyone has work that fulfills them
everyone contributes to the home and costs
everyone has some satisfying individual social life
everyone has planned for their future needs
Some of our relations on the other side of the country have been living like this for four generations. In one huge house. It has worked very well for them. So OP my answer is if no one is being abused, if no one is complaining, and everyone is demonstrating that this set-up suits them, then no, it's not "weird".

Old 02-01-2018, 12:47 PM

6,353 posts, read 4,969,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post

For their reasons for still living at home. My oldest sister simply just has no motivation to leave the nest and live her own life. She's too dependent on my mother. She's not my father's child. My youngest sister just had a baby. It's her first child. Maybe she still lives at home to get help raising her child, but I believe she could still get a place of her own if she really wanted to. My brother doesn't really have a social life. The only people he sees and speaks with pretty much are me, my two sisters, and our parents. I think what's preventing him from moving out on his own is that he doesn't want to be alone. He doesn't have much of a social life, so I don't think he wants to be alone 24/7.

Understand something here. The reason that your sibs live at home is because your parents allow it for whatever reason.

Maybe they are doormats.

Maybe they need the money that two of your sibs are paying as rent.

But the older one who doesn't work and isn't paying a fair share is the one who should be given fair warning to shape up or ship out.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:04 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,250,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
OP. What metro area?

Getting out on your own is easy in Indianapolis and Not nearly so in San Francisco.
Out of curiosity I looked up the average rent of a one-bedroom apartment in San Francisco-----$3,400 a month. Man, you need to have a darn good job to afford that.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:29 PM

19,770 posts, read 12,339,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
If they live in Cali, nope.
People in California live in apartments with room mates.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:15 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,805,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Out of curiosity I looked up the average rent of a one-bedroom apartment in San Francisco-----$3,400 a month. Man, you need to have a darn good job to afford that.
Or, you need to live in the suburbs and commute like millions of people in NYC. SF, DC, etc.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:44 PM

4,052 posts, read 2,740,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
I'm 20 and the youngest of four. I still live at home because I'm in school, and it's the most financially feasible option. Once I graduate and start my career, I'll be looking towards moving out. However, all my siblings are over 25 and they still live at home. My youngest sister is 27, my brother is 28, and my oldest sister is 33. They're not in school. I'm the only person in my immediate family that has gone to college. My youngest sister and my brother both work and have their own vehicles, but they still live at home. My oldest sister doesn't work and she doesn't have a car, and she still lives at home.

I would just like to get an outside opinion on this. Do you guys think it's weird to still live at home at those ages? Why or why not?
Were it just *one* of your siblings over 25 doing this, I could say it might depend on a number of factors.

But *all three* of your siblings over 25 doing this in the manner you're describing....that's not just weird, that says your parents' child-rearing skills left a lot to be desired. And I am presuming your parents are of sound body and mind, and therefore it doesn't take all four of their adult children to help care for them?

Things can and do happen. People get laid off, they become ill/injured, or maybe the housing market is so ridiculously high they can't afford to move out. But your siblings sound like they never even made an effort to do for themselves.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:53 PM

13,293 posts, read 8,514,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Some of our relations on the other side of the country have been living like this for four generations. In one huge house. It has worked very well for them. So OP my answer is if no one is being abused, if no one is complaining, and everyone is demonstrating that this set-up suits them, then no, it's not "weird".
What a fair and accurrate statement! Thank you for being considerate of this adult decision.

op: gl in your studies. Being on your own is not that liberating....just more stress and unmet obligations to full fill.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:42 PM

15,949 posts, read 12,344,839 times
I have nothing against people who stay at home. If you are comfortable with it and don't care what anyone thinks, that's all that matters. With that said I have low regard for people who think they need to bash others and call them losers for their lifestyle choices. I suppose because I used to be down there and now I'm up here I'm not as judgmental as people who grew up well adjusted or with a silver spoon in their mouth.

With that said I'm too independent for that. I moved out at 26 which I thought was pretty late at the time, and finally bought a house in October 2016 at age 34 after 4 years of slowly searching, though the wait was worth it.. it's by far the best house for the money of the 25 or so I went through a 3 others I had offers on. Instant equity.

If you want your children to move out you need to give them incentive (another way of saying tough love). My father's girlfriend pays for all his son's stuff mostly and the son lives in his grandmother's house and hardly has any living expenses. He's a nice guy but has no incentive to better himself and doesn't seem to care too when his way is being paid. More power to him I guess. He's my age.. 35. Makes 10 bucks an hour working at an apple orchard part time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships