Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:45 PM

230 posts, read 218,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
yes its strange
your lazy 33 year old sister who is unemployed has a boyfriend? who is he? i bet he is also a lazy bum.
run far away because it seems like you will be the one supporting everyone
your parents failed as parents. their job is too make sure their kids are independent and self sufficient. this is not the case.
they should kick all the kids out who don't work and don't contribute anything to the family.

RUN OP RUN
Yes, she has a boyfriend. I don't think he's lazy. He works two jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 06:00 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,721,259 times
It would normally be a little unusual, but with the economic downturn a few years ago, a lot more people were waiting to move out. Weirder for your older sister, perhaps. Then again, you have to consider whether it's also odd for your parents not to require her to work.

Instead of asking our opinion, why not, sometime when you're sitting around casually, ask them why?

Old 01-31-2018, 09:52 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,552,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You don't find anything weird about the couple raising a child together but living separately, each with their own parents? I could see them living with one set of parents or the other...but separately?

OP said this couple could afford to live together as a family of 3, but they prefer to each stay home with their parents.

That doesn't seem strange to you?
That seems unusual. I missed the part about a couple. I read it as sister as single mother.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:56 PM

166 posts, read 117,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Used to be, most people lived with their parents until marriage. The whole family contributed to the household. If the house was big enough, they brought their spouses to live there, too. This is still common in Europe.

Moving out before marriage is a pretty new way of life, just in the last century, and mostly in America.

Is there something wrong with either tradition? I dont' think so.
I think everyone should contribute to the household, but otherwise it makes sense not to have separate households.

On the other hand, if you have a horrible parent (yeah, I'm talking about you, mom), it's never too early to get out.
No one is meant to be alone. And for those who are Christians, this is biblical. At least for females.
It is usually best if people just live at home until they get hitched. Hence, usually. It wasn't for me but hopefully, for the majority, this rings true.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:00 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,668,401 times
If they live in Cali, nope.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:32 AM

74 posts, read 55,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The issue isn't entirely that the family is living together, the problem is that there are grown adults living in the home who are not "adulting". Lying around all day and neither working nor contributing to the household is not being a functional member of society or the home. That's is what is dysfunctional and codependent.
Maybe they are contributing in their own way? Again this is a very "american" way of thinking: Contributing=making money. But if they have one sick parent, helping him/her is "contributing", keeping company to a lonely parent is contributing too, though it doesn't inflate anyone's GDP and has no impact on the Dow Jones, that's still contributing in a different way.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:44 AM

224 posts, read 299,293 times
My son is 30 and lives with us, his parents, and I have no problem with it. He has a good job and commutes about 35 miles and lives with us to save money on having to pay for an apartment. He is able to really save money this way.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:02 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,391,561 times
I commented earlier and thought about what I had said. My youngest sister married her long time close friend, a guy she dated on and off since High School. When they got married his parents let them live at their home. At the time he was an LA Police Officer and she worked for a retail store. She ended up getting a job in the health insurance industry and moving up over time.

They ended up buying a condo within a year and the parents told them to rent it out and keep living with them. A couple years later they bought a house and the parents told them to rent that out and keep living with them. Since that time they now have at least 6 homes that I know of all rented out. A couple years ago they finally bought a home that they moved into.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:43 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,163,988 times
" hey mom, where is my effin meatloaf!!!" ," mom , is my laundry ready yet!!!", "Hey mom, I am on the other line, get off the phone!!!"""

To share some famous quotes that come to mind, when Adults live at home with their parents. Come on people, there is no such thing as "Adult Kids". If Adult sons and daughters are still living at home, to "save money", make sure they are saving money, and not blowing senseless cash on nice jewelry, clothes, vacations, new cars, etc... When you see this happening, I call the bluff.

Say what you want, but men should be out of the cradle by 25 years of age, the latest. Women, depending on religious or cultural beliefs, should be out on their own by this age as well. For an adult to willingly want to live at home, and have their parents all up in their business boggles the mind. Let alone, to be married, and living under their parents roof is just asking for marital problems. Oh, but the excuse, "so mom could help with the baby" is so lame.

Look at your own parents. When the married, they did it all on their own did they not? Each and every one of my 15 + Aunts and Uncles did. There was no moving into rooms at Moms house. That was reserved for divorced Men and Women, or the loss of a spouse. It can even be viewed as a turn off.

"So where do you live?" asked the potential love interest or Co-worker. , "in my childhood home with mom and dad " replied the Adult "kid". Doesn't sound to cool, does it?

Old 02-01-2018, 10:46 AM

722 posts, read 560,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
, "Hey mom, I am on the other line, get off the phone!!!"""
Everyone has their own cell phone these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships