Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 08:57 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,424,283 times

Advertisements

Have to re-post, as I just read that little tidbit about you spending (and borrowing????!!!! from your sister) $1000 on an iPhone for your child that you cannot afford.

Now I question your judgment even more.

And demanding that your sister come to visit her abuser, who potentially now feels remorseful.... and calling your sister selfish.... well.

I'm team sister. All the way.

And I'm a caregiver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 10:34 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,783,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.24 View Post
The thing is, why should I be the only one putting so much effort into helping our father when she's perfectly capable of flying over and helping out, even if it's just for a couple of days? Why does she just get off the hook for not helping while I emotionally exhaust myself on a daily basis trying to assist as much as I can? Her attitude is what bothers me the most, especially the way she handles what I tell her on the phone. It's just unacceptable.
Actually, I think your attitude is bothersome too. Your sister is under no obligation to donate her money and time to a geographically distant parent she has no affinity for. You being a martyr and "emotionally exhausting" yourself is not one half of a "fairness equation." You have made your choice and she has made hers. Now leave her alone. And stop blaming her for your already dysfunctional marriage.

I for one can't imagine why you are enabling your father to live alone when he is already lonely and suicidal. Why not try and get him into a more social senior living situation?

Old 02-10-2018, 02:25 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,618,891 times
A need on your part does not create an obligation on her part. You just have to forget what you think you need from her. Whatever you would do if she didn't exist is what you have to do.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:55 PM

[quote=kenneth.24;50964476]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think that you should get some counseling, for yourself and your wife.

You don't say his age, or if his depression has been resent onset or life long struggle. These become important when looking for resources to help your dad.

We can't really afford counseling right now, and also my wife doesn't believe in counseling so I highly doubt she'd be willing to go.
He's 77, and it's been a resent offset. He only developed it about 8 years ago and it's been gradually getting worse ever since.
Thanks for your input.
-Ken
Call 211 for free counseling. Go w/o your wife if she won't go. Your sister literally cannot support you emotionally. In order to do so, she'd need to see the situation the same way you do and she doesn't, but then you will say she SHOULD, but she doesn't.

You do a lot of living in the land of what you think should be, rather than in the land of what is. Everything about this situation will get better for you when you get into the land of what is, and proceed accordingly.

When I had to decide whether to take my mother off life support, I had to do it alone. Her only living blood was her sister. Who decided days before she was 'already dead' and there was no decision to be made. That was clearly not true, and I 'needed' her to see it my way and help me with this, but she could. not. She had to cope in HER WAY (which was to think positive thoughts that her spirit was already gone, which was a cop out if you ask me, but it was what it was).

I did not want to do it alone, but I HAD TO DO IT ALONE. I had no choice but to stay in the land of what is. It was painful AF, and I had no idea if what I was doing was right, and the consequences of being wrong couldn't have been higher, but I had to do what I had to do.

You seem unwilling to accept situations that you cannot make into what you 'need' them to be. God only knows what would be happening in your family if you didn't get bailed out of a CELL PHONE 'situation'. Go to therapy on your own, and seek the skills to deal with life as it IS.

Get emotional support from a pro. Your sister cannot do it and no amount of wishing or pushing or arguing is going to change that. You're just creating a new family drama.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:40 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,222,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post

Call 211 for free counseling. Go w/o your wife if she won't go. Your sister literally cannot support you emotionally. In order to do so, she'd need to see the situation the same way you do and she doesn't, but then you will say she SHOULD, but she doesn't.

You do a lot of living in the land of what you think should be, rather than in the land of what is. Everything about this situation will get better for you when you get into the land of what is, and proceed accordingly.

When I had to decide whether to take my mother off life support, I had to do it alone. Her only living blood was her sister. Who decided days before she was 'already dead' and there was no decision to be made. That was clearly not true, and I 'needed' her to see it my way and help me with this, but she could. not. She had to cope in HER WAY (which was to think positive thoughts that her spirit was already gone, which was a cop out if you ask me, but it was what it was).

I did not want to do it alone, but I HAD TO DO IT ALONE. I had no choice but to stay in the land of what is. It was painful AF, and I had no idea if what I was doing was right, and the consequences of being wrong couldn't have been higher, but I had to do what I had to do.

You seem unwilling to accept situations that you cannot make into what you 'need' them to be. God only knows what would be happening in your family if you didn't get bailed out of a CELL PHONE 'situation'. Go to therapy on your own, and seek the skills to deal with life as it IS.

Get emotional support from a pro. Your sister cannot do it and no amount of wishing or pushing or arguing is going to change that. You're just creating a new family drama.
Excellent advice.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:25 PM

I forgot to include a link to the caregiver forum. I saw in another post it was suggested, but OP didn't know how to find it.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/caregiving/

Old 02-13-2018, 07:28 PM

15,884 posts, read 21,493,253 times
Did you ever have a conversation with your sister about what would happen when your parents need help? Or did you just assume?

My parents were abusive. I cut them both out of my life 2 years ago, while my brother has very limited contact with them. I've made it clear to my brother that I will not be of any physical help when it comes time to care for my parents. If he chooses to, he is welcome to, but I will have nothing to do with them. I will only offer financial help if it would be of absolutely no impact to my savings, retirement, children's college savings, or vacation savings. Chances are, that will never be the case.

If my brother suddenly expected for me to drop everything to help an abusive parent, I would not be nearly so kind as your sister has been, OP. I'd tell him to pound sand.

You noted that your father hasn't even seen your nieces in many years. That is because your sister is PROTECTING them from an abusive old man. The writing has been on the wall long before this instance.

Not to mention, mental health issues can be hereditary. That's even more compounded by a woman who faced the PROFOUND trauma of emotional and physical abuse at the hand of a parent. She may find handling his mental health issues triggering to her own, and further needs to protect herself.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:41 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,215,085 times
What exactly do you expect her to accomplish and help with in the few days that she would visit? What happens after she goes flies back home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships