Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 01:07 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
I don't think you're wrong to be upset about it, especially if you aren't gay. Nobody likes to be told (jokingly or not) something that they aren't.

However, in my experience (as a gay guy in his 20's, so dealing with juvenile people isn't too far in my past), these jokes are made because straight guys think there's something emasculating about being gay and they want to get a rise out of you.

I think the best way to react is just to shrug and say, "you're right, it is the 21st century and there's absolutely nothing wrong with being gay."

To me, it sounds like your "friends" have some insecurities of their own.
This, exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 01:51 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,297,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Is this the same gang of idiots who was making jokes about you being a child molester?

And I thought OP sounded familiar. If that's the case OP seems to be a good target for obscene jokes.. for some reasons the friends find him suitable

Old 02-15-2018, 07:28 AM

820 posts, read 973,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softcrunch View Post
And I thought OP sounded familiar. If that's the case OP seems to be a good target for obscene jokes.. for some reasons the friends find him suitable
I am the punching bag of pretty much all the friend groups I am part of, so I'm used to it. I know they mean no harm. I can't even order at a restaurant without everyone bursting out into laughter. However, they are still good friends so I choose to just roll with it.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:50 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
I am the punching bag of pretty much all the friend groups I am part of, so I'm used to it. I know they mean no harm. I can't even order at a restaurant without everyone bursting out into laughter. However, they are still good friends so I choose to just roll with it.
No they aren't. They treat you poorly. Good friends don't do that.

Until you stop settling for friends who treat you like a punching bag, you're not going to have different results. If you want to stop the jokes, you have to stand up for yourself, and if that doesn't work, find new friends who will treat you with respect.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:52 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,103,423 times
^ hertfordshire has it exactly right. Find a new group of friends and make sure this new bunch includes WOMEN.
Your old high school pals are holding you back. I don't know why you all haven't scattered and gone separate ways by now.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:55 AM

820 posts, read 973,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Find a new group of friends and make sure this new bunch includes WOMEN.
Your old high school pals are holding you back. I don't know why you all haven't scattered and gone separate ways by now.
Because we don't feel obligated to follow society's dumb rules that high school friends have to want nothing to do with each other after high school. All of us prefer this group over our other friend groups and have fun together. Therefore, we remain friends. And I also am the punching bag of the 2 friend groups I am in, not just this one.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:01 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Because we don't feel obligated to follow society's dumb rules that high school friends have to want nothing to do with each other after high school. All of us prefer this group over our other friend groups and have fun together. Therefore, we remain friends. And I also am the punching bag of the 2 friend groups I am in, not just this one.
Why don't you believe that you deserve respect?

Old 02-15-2018, 09:03 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,478,720 times
Set your standards higher. Drop this bunch of disrespectful adolescents. Befriend some adults. Stop making excuses for their punching bag attitudes. Most of us wouldn't tolerate this type of behavior from anybody, much less friends.

The real mystery to me is why you put up with it.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:12 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
What do you do when you order?

Old 02-15-2018, 09:38 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
OP, you have a girlfriend. Why do you care what these idiots think?

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ght-me-my.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships