Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 AM

18,200 posts, read 9,504,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The OP indicated upthread (see #136) that he does pay rent, but it’s just cheaper than the market rent he’d have to pay living in an apartment. Just because he can take days off work doesn’t mean he wants to. I agree that the strain is probably coming from the fact that he still lives at home, but that doesn’t mean that he should be obligated to go on family vacations if he is a paying tenant who is presumably providing his own food and paying his other expenses.

I know what he said. I don't believe he pays rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 09:32 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,832,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Save the drama.

Imagine if you lived at your parents' house rent-free until the age of 33, they don't nag you about anything, and all they ask from you is to take a few days a year to go on a family vacation with them.

And the OP clearly stated it is ok to take a few days off work.
You are obviously unfamiliar with the OP's saga, which has been ongoing for years. His parents are absolutely up in his business all the time, and make pretty heavy demands on him that he is incapable of pushing back against.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You are obviously unfamiliar with the OP's saga, which has been ongoing for years. His parents are absolutely up in his business all the time, and make pretty heavy demands on him that he is incapable of pushing back against.

I am unfamiliar with his history (though I did read a few of his older threads). In this thread he said his parents don't bother him about anything besides the family vacation. (paraphrasing)

Old 07-09-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I don't find my parents to be controlling other than the vacation part I think.

^^^^

Old 07-09-2018, 11:18 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,832,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
^^^^
OP also misrepresents himself quite a bit, and contradicts information in his previous posts. He seems to "forget" the bad things he's posted about (and the good advice he is given) after a few weeks of posting it.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:24 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,746,855 times
Quote:
OP also misrepresents himself quite a bit, and contradicts information in his previous posts. He seems to "forget" the bad things he's posted about (and the good advice he is given) after a few weeks of posting it.
Yes, if you read his threads, they get quite confusing. However, this issue would be solved if he moved out. It may be more expensive in Canada, but the articles I’ve been reading on Saskatoon indicate that rent has actually been going down there recently. If the OP is saving to make a movie, then what? He continues to live with his parents indefinitely and complain on C-D? There is a time where people have to say no more and move out, even if it is to a tiny studio apartment.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:30 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,082,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes, if you read his threads, they get quite confusing. However, this issue would be solved if he moved out. It may be more expensive in Canada, but the articles I’ve been reading on Saskatoon indicate that rent has actually been going down there recently. If the OP is saving to make a movie, then what? He continues to live with his parents indefinitely and complain on C-D? There is a time where people have to say no more and move out, even if it is to a tiny studio apartment.
Just a reminder...the OP is autistic. His younger brother has more serious MH issues. I actually think the vacation issue is because his parents don't think they can be left at home together without some supervision.

This isn't a typical case about parents vacationing with their adult kids.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:

This doesn't surprise me. I told another poster that I don't believe the OP pays rent because I am pretty sure he contradicted himself about paying rent. I don't recall if it was in this thread or somewhere else. Although, if it were in an older thread, I suppose his situation could have changed.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:25 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,992,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Basically every year they want me to go, and if I don't they get really upset and disappointed about it. But we always go to the same place, and I'm so bored of it. We visit relatives, who I don't like spending time with. Not to be too judgmental or personal, but they are very redneck-ish, and wine about the government and about life all the time, and it's not my kind of company I want to keep a lot, or at least not once a year even.

I've been doing it for them to make them happy, over the years. But I'm 33 years old now. Why do I have to take a few days off work every year to go on a vacation with them, when I would rather save my time and money to go a vacation spot I want to myself. I could do both, but I would rather just spend my money and time on a place I want.

But what do you think? If I shouldn't go, how can I convince them without them getting upset over it and feeling so rejected?
When I read the first part of this post, I assumed that you were a teenager, or maybe a college student. At 33, you most definitely have the right to choose how you spend your own vacation time.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:00 PM

12,227 posts, read 21,583,829 times
Quote:
Some people are only interested in complaining, and unwilling to implement solutions. Perhaps the complaining is actually enjoyable?

Last edited by Debsi; 07-09-2018 at 05:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships