Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 04:20 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I didn't say it did. This really isn't about the unpleasant family members. This is about his parents.

He has made it clear that it's very important to his parents that he participate in this long-standing family tradition.

The definition of selfish is: concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others.

By choosing not to go, he would be showing no regard for his parents' wishes.

Like it or not, chicagoliz, that's selfish.
I think that's really ridiculous.

The OP is an adult. Burning his limited vacation time to fulfill his parents' whims is one notch below martyrdom.

It is the parents who are being selfish here. No question about it. They apparently have not considered that their son might want to do other things with his time, despite the fact that he's an adult in his 30s.

I mean, jeez, when my wife and I were first married, her domineering parents lived in the same town. They insisted that, collectively, we come to dinner every Friday night. What? Excuse me, but after a grueling week, the last thing I wanted to do is sit at the dinner table and listen to my father-in-law rant about the Democrats. Given a choice between that and a root canal without anesthesia, I'd be hard-pressed to choose one.

So finally, I started making plans for Friday night. They were chuffed at first, but they got over it.

OP, I've read some of your other posts, and they seem to have a common theme to them: Your inability, for whatever reason, to strike out on your own. As I've told you in other posts, courage is the foundation of happiness. You can either choose to continue sulking, or you can finally enjoy happiness by choosing your own path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 04:21 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,908 times
I had a talk about it with my parents and they say that they miss me and hardly see me anymore, and want to do it to spend time with me.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:25 PM

17,686 posts, read 9,175,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
the vacation is only like a few days a year

The above quote is for Minivan.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
You live with them! How often do you think most parents see their 33 year old "kids?"

Old 07-05-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
No, it's not for me to decide either. It's for his family to decide.
How old are you? Do you still let your family make all your decisions for you?

Old 07-05-2018, 05:50 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You live with them! How often do you think most parents see their 33 year old "kids?"
Well they don't see me much as I am often working or out and do not spend much time with them. I have been coming and going to sleep there pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
How old are you? Do you still let your family make all your decisions for you?
Just this one I think, I don't let them make other decisions for me, but sometimes I will ask for their advice.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:16 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm paying rent, but I don't want to buy a house just yet since I may move to Toronto or Vancouver, but haven't decided which yet, which is why I haven't bought a place yet. I don't find my parents to be controlling other than the vacation part I think.
Why do you need to buy a house? Why can’t you strike out on your own and rent a place like most people do? There’s really no need to be living at home if you have solid savings and a job. I really don’t think they’d be guilting you over this trip if you were on your own because you’d have your own place and then there wouldn’t be the issue of you having to watch your brother. You wouldn’t be living in the same place.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Just this one I think, I don't let them make other decisions for me, but sometimes I will ask for their advice.
Not you, Redplum, the one who keeps saying this decision is your family's to make, not yours. I'm just wondering if he follows his own advice and lets his parents decide how he spends his vacation.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:18 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,246,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenaddict View Post
why do you need to buy a house? Why can’t you strike out on your own and rent a place like most people do? There’s really no need to be living at home if you have solid savings and a job. I really don’t think they’d be guilting you over this trip if you were on your own because you’d have your own place and then there wouldn’t be the issue of you having to watch your brother. You wouldn’t be living in the same place.
+1.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:45 PM

17,686 posts, read 9,175,662 times
Hey Kibbles, I think you're quoting me out of context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships