Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 04:40 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,097,047 times

Advertisements

Yeah I'm feeling guilt and they make me feel sorry for them. If I didn't have the new job, along with not doing any filmmaking projects this summer, then I would be more up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 04:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,276,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't think it's that simple. He started this thread presumably because he's feeling guilt for not wanting to go. It's really weighing on him. And that guilt isn't going away because some people on here helped him come up with some good excuses.
And your solution is to go, even though he doesn't want to. You are adding to the guilt trip he's already getting from his parents. It's not helpful.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:56 PM

Well I talked to them and they keep saying if I don't go then my brother is going to not want to come too, and he has his mental health problems going on. They keep saying we will work around my schedule and go when I can, so what's a good week to go, etc.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:59 PM

6,326 posts, read 4,244,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Yeah I'm feeling guilt and they make me feel sorry for them. If I didn't have the new job, along with not doing any filmmaking projects this summer, then I would be more up for it.
You are not your brothers keeper nor is he your responsibility. You should not feel guilty ,this is your parents issue ,let them deal with it. You don’t have to be combative or make excuses,just state you are not going and don’t discuss it further. They try to bring it up or guilt trip just change the subject or excuse yourself and leave the room.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:00 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,287,590 times
Quote:
Well I talked to them and they keep saying if I don't go then my brother is going to not want to come too, and he has his mental health problems going on. They keep saying we will work around my schedule and go when I can, so what's a good week to go, etc.
Wait...your parents are aware of you live & they are worried about vacation?

Old 07-04-2018, 05:02 PM

6,326 posts, read 4,244,279 times
Quote:

Like I said , don’t discuss it further. You’ve made it clear you don’t wish to go and repeat that and then leave conversation.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:15 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,746,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
So your parents need you to go to help with your brother? And if you don't go, no one can go?
Who is to say that the brother needs to go? If he is an adult and has mental health problems, this visit could be making it worse for him. It seems like the real problem is that these family members make the kids uncomfortable and the parents aren’t willing to accept it. If BOTH kids don’t want to go, I would say it is probably a problem with the relatives and not with the OP.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:19 PM

29,791 posts, read 34,596,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Who is to say that the brother needs to go? If he is an adult and has mental health problems, this visit could be making it worse for him.
If the brother can't take care of himself or can't be unsupervised for several days, that means the OP would have to take the time off of work to care for him while the parents are gone anyway.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:25 PM

18,186 posts, read 9,504,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't think it's that simple. He started this thread presumably because he's feeling guilt for not wanting to go. It's really weighing on him. And that guilt isn't going away because some people on here helped him come up with some good excuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
And your solution is to go, even though he doesn't want to. You are adding to the guilt trip he's already getting from his parents. It's not helpful.
Responsible considerate adults occasionally do things they don't want to do. Selfish people have difficulty understanding that.

The idea that the solution here is to help him find excuses is laughable.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:37 PM

Okay thanks. Well they said not only will the brother need taking care of, if I don't go, but also that they already booked the hotels and tickets to the places, and asked why didn't I bring this up before.

I told them that I did say so before, but apparently they did it take it seriously and it flew right over their head to which they just seemed surprised by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships