Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 09:53 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post

The last few times I got tired of acknowledging people I didn't like, so I looked them in the eyes as they said "Hello" but didn't say anything back.

Also if they are among others when I am leaving, I will deliberately say "Bye (others' name)" in front of them.

Does it cause more friction/ drama or just sends a clear message to "Stay away"?
It sends a clear message that you're equally a jerk – and as much a player as they are.

Why the fake concern about rudeness with all these people you "don't like"?

Of course, it's rude.

And the games will likely continue.

Last edited by CatzPaw; 09-05-2019 at 10:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 10:59 PM

587 posts, read 423,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
WHY do you have to say anything to anyone who has been rude and insulting to you??WHY? I'm so tired of having to play 'nice' to people who are not nice.Stop being fake like they are being with you.Don't say anything to them even if they say 'hi' because YOU know they don't mean it so why bother using your breath to say anything to them?Walk on by.
I DON'T say anything to them, that is what I am meaning, I don't reply to their greetings even though I look them in their eyes.

They work with my relatives, and are long time (20 year+) employees, so I can't rattle things too much..but I am often in passing mode with them in their work.

If not for the context (work), I would dish it back at them.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:02 AM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
I DON'T say anything to them, that is what I am meaning, I don't reply to their greetings even though I look them in their eyes.

They work with my relatives, and are long time (20 year+) employees, so I can't rattle things too much..but I am often in passing mode with them in their work.

If not for the context (work), I would dish it back at them.
Looks like you've missed the point of the replies. Don't "dish" anything; not a silent lethal look, not a deliberate snub, nothing. Be boringly (and maturely) civil, forget the snark, and get on with life.

Ah heck, you won't listen. Why bother to write this?

Old 09-06-2019, 03:16 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,158,224 times
Quote:
Ever so often I still have to cross paths with the 2 catty acquaintances that talk smack about me. They are two-faced and thrive on mind games, so they will try to play nice and greet me with "Hello". These ladies not only talk about trivial things behind my back but I've heard thru the grapevine also about my sexuality, made some references to my race, etc

https://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...-about-me.html

The last few times I got tired of acknowledging people I didn't like, so I looked them in the eyes as they said "Hello" but didn't say anything back.

Also if they are among others when I am leaving, I will deliberately say "Bye (others' name)" in front of them.

Does it cause more friction/ drama or just sends a clear message to "Stay away"?
Yes, it is rude, but who cares? If your employer expects you to be cordial, then play the game and just wave back.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:48 AM

410 posts, read 343,113 times
Speak, but keep moving.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:45 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Looks like you've missed the point of the replies. Don't "dish" anything; not a silent lethal look, not a deliberate snub, nothing. Be boringly (and maturely) civil, forget the snark, and get on with life.

Ah heck, you won't listen. Why bother to write this?
Yes, our OP craves melodrama, so there’s no point to advice, really.

They were rude, OP is rude, the cycle will continue in perpetuity.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:48 AM

6,821 posts, read 10,513,511 times
What are you hoping to accomplish by not returning the "Hello?" I could see that if you have to continue to work in the same place as these folks, little is likely to be gained by not saying Hi back, and it might make your life harder or at least not better in the future. If you are wanting them to know you're not happy with them, there are better ways to accomplish it than passive aggressiveness.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:06 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Ever so often I still have to cross paths with the 2 catty acquaintances that talk smack about me. They are two-faced and thrive on mind games, so they will try to play nice and greet me with "Hello". These ladies not only talk about trivial things behind my back but I've heard thru the grapevine also about my sexuality, made some references to my race, etc

https://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...-about-me.html

If I don’t like you, I’m not even going to pretend to hide it. I won’t say hi back to you if I don’t like you. Rude? Yes. I’m willing to suffer the consequences at the cost of not being fake like most people.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:31 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If I don’t like you, I’m not even going to pretend to hide it. I won’t say hi back to you if I don’t like you. Rude? Yes. I’m willing to suffer the consequences at the cost of not being fake like most people.
It’s not about being fake. I’m not going to change my behavior due to someone else’s behavior. Not going to give that much power over me. They don’t need to know what I’m thinking.

Aside from that, what you don’t realize is by snubbing them you justify their own poor behavior and they know they’ve gotten to you (again loss of power just in them knowing that), while the way I do it, not letting their behavior dictate mine and continuing to be who I am, which is a friendly person, they end up feeling like A-holes by contrast. It’s the opposite of fake really. I’m staying true to me despite someone trying to get me to become angry.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I fail to see how a common greeting is being “fake”. In some cultures, it is just a requirement that you greet people every day regardless. You don’t have to make any other type of communication other than “good morning,” “hi,” or “good night,” if you don’t want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships