Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 09:51 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times

Advertisements

This sounds like it came from our drama queen granddaughter. Just grin, nod your head and keep walking. Or do whatever you want to do and keep it going and going. No need both of you stooping that low. Show them you're better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 10:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Greetings and basic, honest responses to questions are part of basic civility, but you don't owe anyone any more than that..

Ignoring people in your presence or who are talking to you makes you look petty and weak.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:19 AM

35,072 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Ever so often I still have to cross paths with the 2 catty acquaintances that talk smack about me. They are two-faced and thrive on mind games, so they will try to play nice and greet me with "Hello". These ladies not only talk about trivial things behind my back but I've heard thru the grapevine also about my sexuality, made some references to my race, etc

https://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...-about-me.html

The last few times I got tired of acknowledging people I didn't like, so I looked them in the eyes as they said "Hello" but didn't say anything back.

Also if they are among others when I am leaving, I will deliberately say "Bye (others' name)" in front of them.

Does it cause more friction/ drama or just sends a clear message to "Stay away"?
It does create the loss of an opportunity for healing and to determine if things have changed interpersonally. Sometimes, but rarely, they do. An example:

I was not popular in Junior High School, which we now call middle school. Someone I now am a close acquaintance of, Michael, bullied me when we were in junior high school together, from about 1967 to 1971. We really didn't have contact until 1988. That summer he and others from our junior high school were playing beach football. I was brought into the game by Dave, someone who I'd been friendly with in junior high school and then from 1984 on. When we were in junior high school I was not athletic, making me easy to bully. Dave knew that had changed since he remains a close friend; Michael didn't.

During the 1988 beach football game, he was assigned to guard me. He was only half-watching, since he didn't expect I would be passed the ball. David, knowing my current abilities, passed me the ball. I caught itl and of course started running toward the goal. I was about 20 or 30 yards down the beach before Michael noticed anything. To salve his humiliation he challenged me to tennis. I beat him 6-0, 6-1 in tennis, on a 96+° day. Two summers later I was dating my girlfriend, now wife. He asked to be assigned a cabin room in our cabin. He sheepishly apologized and "hoped QRS was behind me." I said, "of course." We have continued to be acquaintances.

The other postscript was that I got married in 1991 and am still happily married. He married in 1999, and within a few years he was divorced.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:58 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Good manners never makes a bad situation any worse.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:33 PM

50,801 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Good manners never makes a bad situation any worse.

I like that, it should be on a fortune cookie!

Old 09-08-2019, 10:29 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Ever so often I still have to cross paths with the 2 catty acquaintances that talk smack about me. They are two-faced and thrive on mind games, so they will try to play nice and greet me with "Hello". These ladies not only talk about trivial things behind my back but I've heard thru the grapevine also about my sexuality, made some references to my race, etc

The last few times I got tired of acknowledging people I didn't like, so I looked them in the eyes as they said "Hello" but didn't say anything back.

Also if they are among others when I am leaving, I will deliberately say "Bye (others' name)" in front of them.

Does it cause more friction/ drama or just sends a clear message to "Stay away"?
I think the "saying bye to some other person" when they are also around is causing drama that is completely unnecessary. That's catty behavior, too.

As for acknowledging people you don't like - I've had that happen to me, and I'm shocked that they even say "hi". Why? We aren't friends, why are they even bothering? But, we do know each other, so I just say "Hi" back and keep walking. (The very few times this has ever happened, that is.)

Just be the bigger person, say "Hi", keep going about your business, and don't let them sit in your mind. They don't deserve the spot.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:50 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:

Can't really do anything to people like those. Punch them in the face? Get mad? Either way they win. I would tend to ignore them but, if you have to fight/argue then you have to fight. Maybe even throw the S word out there loud and clear, slander. You just have to push back sometimes.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:02 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:

The "bye" with names seems lame and catty. You don't have to say goodbye to them, but pointedly not including makes you look immature.

Whether or not I like someone, if I see them and they greet me, I greet them civilly and move on with my life.

Don't engage in this passive-aggressive crap. It just makes you think about it. If you forget about them and what they're doing and just act like a nice, normal human, their power evaporates.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:16 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The "bye" with names seems lame and catty. You don't have to say goodbye to them, but pointedly not including makes you look immature.

Whether or not I like someone, if I see them and they greet me, I greet them civilly and move on with my life.

Don't engage in this passive-aggressive crap. It just makes you think about it. If you forget about them and what they're doing and just act like a nice, normal human, their power evaporates.
Great advice.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:22 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:

The last few times I got tired of acknowledging people I didn't like, so I looked them in the eyes as they said "Hello" but didn't say anything back. Also if they are among others when I am leaving, I will deliberately say "Bye (others' name)" in front of them.

Yes, it's rude.

It would be more fun to talk to them at great, exhausting length, exuding friendliness, and edge so close to them that you're intruding on their personal boundaries. And make up a bunch of catty gossip that you claim others are saying about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships