Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 08:08 AM

587 posts, read 423,363 times

Advertisements

Ever so often I still have to cross paths with the 2 catty acquaintances that talk smack about me. They are two-faced and thrive on mind games, so they will try to play nice and greet me with "Hello". These ladies not only talk about trivial things behind my back but I've heard thru the grapevine also about my sexuality, made some references to my race, etc

https://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...-about-me.html

The last few times I got tired of acknowledging people I didn't like, so I looked them in the eyes as they said "Hello" but didn't say anything back.

Also if they are among others when I am leaving, I will deliberately say "Bye (others' name)" in front of them.

Does it cause more friction/ drama or just sends a clear message to "Stay away"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 08:21 AM

4,242 posts, read 946,961 times
UGH!

If these are work acquaintances, I would continue to be "distantly cordial" lol, but try to avoid contact with them. You never know how your actions can come back to bite you in the a** in ways that you didn't intend.

If they are personal acquaintances, I would do everything I can to avoid having to deal with them again including dropping them on social media, avoiding encounters (don't make eye contact, go the other way) and not responding to any invitations. I would also avoid direct confrontations as sometimes that's what people are looking for.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by CarolinaMoon1; 09-05-2019 at 08:29 AM..

Old 09-05-2019, 09:51 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
To me, ignoring them as you are doing isn't a position of power. IMHO it makes you look intimidated, and saying bye to someone in front of them while ignoring them is childish.

Taking the high road is a philosophy you should look into. It really would make your life better and get you out of all these petty encounters you seem to have.

You can be cordial to them and acknowledge their presence without being BFFs.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:53 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,647,828 times
I just ran into a close relative with whom I am not speaking.

I said, "Hello. How are you?" and kept walking.

Works for me. I don't like to be blatantly rude.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:56 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
I'm so glad I don't have to deal with OP's drama at my workplace lol

Old 09-05-2019, 10:02 AM

24,495 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Smack gum - loudly and clearly.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:19 AM

16,416 posts, read 12,495,187 times
You're giving them too much power over you.

Just be cordial and "kill them with kindness." Anything less is simply adding drama on top of drama. Don't do it.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:40 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Ever so often I still have to cross paths with the 2 catty acquaintances that talk smack about me. They are two-faced and thrive on mind games, so they will try to play nice and greet me with "Hello". These ladies not only talk about trivial things behind my back but I've heard thru the grapevine also about my sexuality, made some references to my race, etc

The last few times I got tired of acknowledging people I didn't like, so I looked them in the eyes as they said "Hello" but didn't say anything back.

Also if they are among others when I am leaving, I will deliberately say "Bye (others' name)" in front of them.

Does it cause more friction/ drama or just sends a clear message to "Stay away"?
I don’t know to me it sounds passive aggressive and childish. Especially this but saying bye to others and not them. Why is it so important that they know you don’t like them?

Old 09-05-2019, 11:43 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,552,267 times
This sounds more like teenage drama at high school than adults at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post

Old 09-05-2019, 12:26 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
To me, ignoring them as you are doing isn't a position of power. IMHO it makes you look intimidated, and saying bye to someone in front of them while ignoring them is childish.

Taking the high road is a philosophy you should look into. It really would make your life better and get you out of all these petty encounters you seem to have.

You can be cordial to them and acknowledge their presence without being BFFs.

This. You are giving these people power over you. You think they don't get a laugh every time you overtly acknowledge them by 'ignoring' them? OP, they know what you're doing, and it only stirs up more talking and laughing behind your back. You're giving them fodder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships