Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 09:27 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,874 times

Advertisements

I will say this, if you once were considered average or below average (by various measures relevant in your day)and are now well above average in obtainment and status, it is likely best not to (at least for males).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 03:37 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,446,284 times
That project to reconnect is on my bucket list.
Mostly to make amends to a childhood friend. She was my closest friend from 1st grade to 4th. I do so regret how I treated her....

The other two-
I pray they are okay in this world. Everytime I reflect back on my one friend she always has this beautiful smile...despite the happenings in society during that era.
My other friend ---gosh her and I were each others "get out of jail card" free. We always had each others back. and yes we both tended to get into messes !

To those that did re-connect ...I sincerely hope it rejuvenated your faith in people...and gave some peace of mind.

Old 10-13-2019, 03:51 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
That’s what Facebook is for. I’ve seen a half dozen childhood friends I hadn’t seen in 30 or 40 years. I also went to my 40th High School reunion and saw people I hadn’t seen since then.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:51 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
Have you ever reconnected with a childhood friend? If so, please tell me your story because I am thinking about reconnecting with a friend from grade school.

It has been quite awhile, however we use to be best friends for a few years growing up, but throughout high school and college we weren't friends at all due to going to different schools and losing touch. So, we were only good friends for about 3 years but it's crazy how I remember all the amazing memories. There has been a few occasions where I randomly thought about this person and hope they are doing well. Although I feel like it would be really awkward trying to reach out to them after all these years or to randomly add them on social media seems a bit strange. I also don't want it to seem like I thought about them if I haven't crossed their mind at all.

Should I just forget about this person from my past? I'm aware many people change over time and aren't the same person they once were. Therefore, this person can have a complete different personality and may act in a certain way I wouldn't remember them as or get along with.

Also, I have many friends so I don't really need more. Maybe it will be better to just put my focus on the current people in my life and maintain those strong relationships while possibly making new connections in the future too. I like living in the moment, and I dont really like looking back to the past. Everyone is so busy that I highly doubt we both will have the time to caught up on life anyway, and I highly doubt a meaningful friendship would come out of it as it has been many years since I spoke or seen this person.

What are your genuine thoughts on this?
I've been on Facebook about 10 years to connect with my hubs niece. She had invited me to FB. I started adding current friends and at some point, people from high school started sending friend requests. It got hairy because my siblings and I don't talk; some of the high school people were friends with one sibling or both plus me. I surely didn't want anything I do now to be screen shotted so decided to make a new FB profile just for school people. It has worked out really well.

You can go to FB, search to see if your high school has a group. They probably do. If so, consider making a new gmail account to make a new FB profile for school people. It's very easy to use the FB app to log in between the 2 profiles. Just make sure you have 2 different profile pictures! lol By the way, I don't think FB allows this but I haven't been busted

Old 10-13-2019, 07:50 AM

4,027 posts, read 2,712,668 times
Yes, and with mixed results. Sometimes it turns out really great, sometimes not so much. I figure it never hurts to try.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:05 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
For several reasons, I have stopped doing this.
Yes...I think that as with many relationships people "drift apart" for a reason and that is soon remembered when you attempt to start things up again.

My best friend in high school ended up at the same college as I did but we drifted anyway...I let her borrow my bike over the summer so she could get to her job and found out in the fall someone had stolen it but she didn't tell me. Seems trivial but was a lack of consideration. When I married, she was one of a very small circle of friends so I asked her to be my maid of honor. ...she didn't throw me a shower...and she came about 20 minutes before the ceremony to help me get ready by which point she was unnecessary. I don't even remember saying much to her at the reception! So it was a complete waste to "re-connect" via Facebook 25 years after that and I guess since it wasn't in person it had less impact than in RL.

Unless you were a little kid who parted because one of you moved, etc. (something beyond your control) then leave well enough alone. Who needs another zombie, fake relationship that really means nothing?

Old 10-13-2019, 09:14 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I've been on Facebook about 10 years to connect with my hubs niece. She had invited me to FB. I started adding current friends and at some point, people from high school started sending friend requests. It got hairy because my siblings and I don't talk; some of the high school people were friends with one sibling or both plus me. I surely didn't want anything I do now to be screen shotted so decided to make a new FB profile just for school people. It has worked out really well.

You can go to FB, search to see if your high school has a group. They probably do. If so, consider making a new gmail account to make a new FB profile for school people. It's very easy to use the FB app to log in between the 2 profiles. Just make sure you have 2 different profile pictures! lol By the way, I don't think FB allows this but I haven't been busted
What's the point? It doesn't sound like you actually have any real contact with these people. As in meeting up or planning to meet up.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:35 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
I have stayed in touch with many of my childhood friends. I grew up in AL but moved away my freshman year of high school.

While we don't agree politically; none of us are prolific political posters so I still enjoy seeing their photos, their families; and remembering the sweet old times of young childhood friends. Outside 24/7; playing in each others' yard; going to Six Flags; we all had minibikes and rode everywhere. OH and homemade peach ice cream.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:46 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What's the point? It doesn't sound like you actually have any real contact with these people. As in meeting up or planning to meet up.
And you came to that conclusion how? I said nothing about how we interact. While I haven't met up with anyone in person because we don't live in the same area, we do talk on messenger.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:13 AM

631 posts, read 398,891 times
I reconnected with an old close friend from school. We were best buds back in the day and I hadn't seen her for over 30 years. I should have left it and kept my good memories of her intact.

What showed up to meet me was a bleached blonde alcoholic whose entire life revolved around getting drunk. We met in a pub and she proceeded to down one whiskey after another and regaled me with stories of her drunken exploits. She never married, never travelled anywhere, had no interests and was nothing like the person I once knew.

Sad really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships