Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 09:48 PM

351 posts, read 271,909 times

Advertisements

Have you ever reconnected with a childhood friend? If so, please tell me your story because I am thinking about reconnecting with a friend from grade school.

It has been quite awhile, however we use to be best friends for a few years growing up, but throughout high school and college we weren't friends at all due to going to different schools and losing touch. So, we were only good friends for about 3 years but it's crazy how I remember all the amazing memories. There has been a few occasions where I randomly thought about this person and hope they are doing well. Although I feel like it would be really awkward trying to reach out to them after all these years or to randomly add them on social media seems a bit strange. I also don't want it to seem like I thought about them if I haven't crossed their mind at all.

Should I just forget about this person from my past? I'm aware many people change over time and aren't the same person they once were. Therefore, this person can have a complete different personality and may act in a certain way I wouldn't remember them as or get along with.

Also, I have many friends so I don't really need more. Maybe it will be better to just put my focus on the current people in my life and maintain those strong relationships while possibly making new connections in the future too. I like living in the moment, and I dont really like looking back to the past. Everyone is so busy that I highly doubt we both will have the time to caught up on life anyway, and I highly doubt a meaningful friendship would come out of it as it has been many years since I spoke or seen this person.

What are your genuine thoughts on this?

Last edited by possibleyou; 10-10-2019 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 10:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
I guess I'd think in terms of what can it hurt?

I don't cherish childhood memories because my childhood was really traumatic. So, even if there was a friend I really liked, inevitably, the conversations would come around to my family and I don't want to go there.

So, I don't reconnect with people who are going to ask me about my family. There is just no way to deal with that without discomfort all around, unless I just flat-out lie and say they're all dead or something similar.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:16 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,050,475 times
I recently re-connected with a childhood friend and we've been corresponding. I Googled and found her current address, wrote a brief letter which I let sit for weeks, as I was afraid it would look as though I'd been stalking her, before finally mailing it.

It is good to see how her life has turned out after so many years. We are both in a good place and it is great to be able to share that.

I did have a difficult childhood and that is something we've not discussed.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:33 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
I've stayed in touch with a few of my childhood friends via Facebook, which has been wonderful. Haven't seen them in person in many years. One friend in particular, who I met on the first day of first grade (I was new to the school), really took my breath away when she showed up at my mother's funeral last November. It was such a sweet surprise.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:48 PM

23,547 posts, read 24,049,201 times
An old friend of mine which I went through middle school and high school with, contacted me a few years ago on Facebook. We lost track of each other after high school. I accepted his connection request and we email and text each other every few months to catch up. He and his wife came by to visit us a few months ago when they were in California.

There are also a few other friends I knew in school that I would like to find and connect with again. But, contact was lost many years ago. I tried to find them through mutual friends and Google & Facebook searches, to no avail.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:10 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times
I re-connected with a friend I hadn't seen in 30 years. We were best friends in school until she got mixed up with drugs and eventually I lost track of her. She first emailed me and said she was sober and had often thought of me and wanted to talk, if I wanted to. I appreciated the way she phrased it.

She called at an agreed-upon time and it was amazing. It was like the years just fell away. Hearing her voice took me back to a time when life was simple and fun. Sadly, we just don't have anything in common. For us, that phone call was enough. We still follow each on social media, though. I wish her well.

Through that friend, I reconnected with a mutual friend (she was part of our group and I was actually roommates with her for a brief time) and that was disastrous. This friend has so much drama going on in her life, it was crazy. At this point in my life, I"m about peace and acceptance. She's bitter and angry.

To the OP: yes, you should go for it, but tread carefullly and don't commit to visits or anything until you get to know the adult your childhood friend grew up to be.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:50 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
A few contacted me and we visited which was really nice. We haven't stayed in contact though; after all these years we just don't have enough in common other than happy lives. I also realized that 2 of them tended toward political fanaticism which was off putting to me.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:25 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
OP, your last few sentences sound like you've talked yourself out of it.

I only went to high school with this person for one year but we had dated brothers and frequently doubled at the local roller rink. I moved away.

Fifty years later, retired, and playing on the internet, I came across a website devoted to the town where I had lived. I asked if anyone knew the whereabouts of my friend. Almost three months later, I received a reply from her son! She had married the brother she was dating in high school. The brother I had dated had passed away.

The son gave me his Mom's phone number (she wasn't active on the 'net - still isn't) and I called her. We speak on the phone every few days and it's just like we were close all those bygone years.

Recently, I reached out to a gentleman I had known when I lived in Washington D.C. He had a Facebook page and I very rarely reach out to people on Facebook, but this time I did.

I hadn't seen him in over 60 years but when we lived in the same apartment building, he was attempting to teach me to speak Spanish. LOL

He was originally from Bolivia and his page indicated that he was retired and living in La Paz. I messaged him.

Shortly thereafter, I received a reply from his daughter who told me my old friend had passed away four months prior.

If you think about it for too long, it may not end happily. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:43 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
I reconnected with some elementary school friends from my first school in Virginia. I found it fun and they turned out pretty well. I really wish my mom didn’t move in 4th grade because I ended up finishing out school in Southern VA with some really racist and mean kids.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
For several reasons, I have stopped doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships