Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 11:37 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times

Advertisements

I have reconnected with 8 childhood friends. One didn't work out because she fell victim to the Russian divide our country trolling. There was no presenting of facts to her. She's a total emotional thinker. One other I don't see very much because she "doesn't fit in" with the other 6 of us. She's a tad high maintenance and does better with one on one. I got together with the 5 out of 6 last summer and we had a great time together. Two came to visit me here last summer and it was nice having a one on one with my childhood best friend. With the exception of the one that didn't want to be friends with me because I couldn't share her religious and political views, I'd say it was a great experience that made my life richer. Even if it was bizarre that one of them was in the same room with me as I took care of her husband and we didn't recognize each other. Seeing a former patient as a friend now has been a positive experience for me as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 04:01 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
I moved around a lot as a kid so it would be silly and pointless, to me, to try and find any of those people. Moved to a different state right after high school too. I have enough people in my life - I honestly don't have time enough to spend with the ones in my life now!

Old 10-13-2019, 08:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Don't expect too much. Your memories might be sharp, but don't be surprised if someone doesn't remember you at all. I have been friends with some people for over 50 years, but I'm the one who remember how we met and what we did 50 years ago. They don't have a clue. I don't think it's a reflection on the quality of the friendship, it's just how different people's memories work.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:57 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
A man I work with and I were just talking about this the other day. He reconnected with some of his former band mates that he hasn't seen in 40 years, and he was saddened by the way they had changed so much. I told him that , some years ago, I phoned a guy who was my best friend in my teens, and when I got off the phone with him I had tears in my eyes because he was so different from the guy I remembered and hung out with. He was a total stranger.

They say you can never go home again, and I think there is a reason for that saying. We think we haven't changed, and find it hard to believe the other person has changed so much. This is why I have never gone to any of my HS class reunions ever.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:30 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
And you came to that conclusion how? I said nothing about how we interact. While I haven't met up with anyone in person because we don't live in the same area, we do talk on messenger.
I was asking a question, but my "conclusion" turned out to be right.

Again, unless you're looking to meet up in person at some point, what is the point?

I know there are many these days who due to narcissistic tendencies(not saying that is you), use social media to brag to as many as they can. They actually think having 300 Facebook friends makes them popular.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:37 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
A man I work with and I were just talking about this the other day. He reconnected with some of his former band mates that he hasn't seen in 40 years, and he was saddened by the way they had changed so much. I told him that , some years ago, I phoned a guy who was my best friend in my teens, and when I got off the phone with him I had tears in my eyes because he was so different from the guy I remembered and hung out with. He was a total stranger.

They say you can never go home again, and I think there is a reason for that saying. We think we haven't changed, and find it hard to believe the other person has changed so much. This is why I have never gone to any of my HS class reunions ever.
Agreed.

My fundamental personality is basically the same as it was in high school, but I've really grown as a person and expanded my horizons. Many people aren't in that same position. I have a lot of my childhood friends and acquaintances on Facebook, and the people I talk to the most now aren't the same people that were my good friends then.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:00 PM

92 posts, read 42,022 times
I reconnected with a few people from Facebook, but I’ve been a little disappointed. People change, and there is probably good reason why you lost touch. You can never get back the circumstances or the friendship or relationship as it was though it’s easy to feel nostalgic about it and anticipate it like you will.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:16 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,708,740 times
I have been lucky enough to have remained friends with a lot of my elementary, Jr High, and High school friends. Some moved far away, some moved away and came back, and some live close.... we talk and text and try to get together at different times. We have met each others spouses/partners, have grieved losses together, and enjoyed happy moments and the successes that we have had.

Some of these friends were ones that I reconnected with after many years as well. I feel lucky to have had them in my life and to have the shared experiences that we have had.

All of that being said, I feel that no harm can come with a phone conversation or a possible meet up.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:40 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
I started to reconnect with a childhood friend. We kept in touch with text and an occasional phone call. I started to speak and see him more often. Sadly he died a few months after this. He had recently gotten sober from drugs, but it appeared he relapsed. The beast had eaten him.

I knew him 38 years, and was looking forward to so many more. Awful outcome.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:25 AM

351 posts, read 270,847 times
Thanks for the responses. I came back to give an update, a year later and I unfortunately still have not contacted my childhood best friend. I occasionally still think about this person and all the great times shared, and I miss the friendship as I remember we once had. I just wish that they would contact me first to make it easier on me but they haven’t yet. They came up as a friend suggestion under the people you may know tab on my Facebook but I was too nervous to send a friend request, however I’m starting to think that I should send a friend request and message first, because I don’t think I will be getting a friend request from them any time soon... I waited a year lol. We have several mutual friends so I think my childhood friend would have noticed me on Facebook by now and maybe is just as embarrassed as I am to reconnect (who knows). My question though is, what should I write as my first message to my childhood friend? Should I keep it short and begin with just a “Hey!” then see if they respond and chat from there? I know for a fact that this person definitely remembers me since we were so close at one point, but I just feel it’s kinda weird reaching out after all these years but with all the craziness going on in the world, I guess it’s now or never lol. I really just want to catch up with this person to see if we can reconnect and reunite our friendship. I’m aware that many people change over time and if their personality is completely different than how I remember it as, then I’m okay with leaving the past in the past and letting it go. However this childhood friend was always real and genuine to me, and good quality people are difficult to come by like that.

Last edited by possibleyou; 11-12-2020 at 12:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships