Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 02:59 AM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKing View Post
I'm 28 and my "father" abandoned my mother while she was pregnant. I saw him only once in my life from afar.

Once I went to university, my mother started a relationship. I was 19 at the time and my stepfather has two sons of his own (they're 40 and 36). We have always got along very well. Because I was already an adult at the time, he never tried to be my father so to speak even though we do a lot of activities that might be considered "father-son activities".

He loves football and everytime he goes he also invites me to go alongside his sons. He has also given me some great advice regarding my career and I've discussed a few personal problems with him while keeping them from my mother.

Above everything, he's very respectful and gentle towards my mother and that's all that I care about (raising me on her own was not a walk in the park).

Well, long story short, the other day I overheard him speaking on the phone about something that was in the news. I was the one who had shared it with him and while talking about it he said "oh yes, I know, one of my sons told me."

I was suddenly surprised when I realised he had just mentioned me. Having never had a father while growing up, it's very weird that he might somewhat see me as one of his kids, albeit a borrowed one. Do you think he means it?
Yes! I do! This man sounds like a very good and unique person. You are really blessed to have him in your life.

No one always gets along well with their parents. If they say so, they are lying.

Do you call him "Dad"? If not, why not ask him for that privilege!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 05:18 AM

16,417 posts, read 12,499,246 times
It’s refreshing to read such a nice post in this forum!

I agree with the other poster ... if you’re comfortable with it, ask him if you can call him dad. I think it would be an amazing gesture.

Reminds me of a story I saw on the news this week. A college football player wanted to surprise his stepfather. He had legally changed his last name to the stepdad’s, and had a game day jersey ready with the new name. He geared up for the game, and revealed the jersey to stepdad. It was a really sweet moment.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:26 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
He may have forgot who told him so he just said one of his sons. I wouldn't put too much into this. Has he ever introduced you as his son?

Old 10-18-2019, 07:54 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,303,260 times
Quote:

Well, long story short, the other day I overheard him speaking on the phone about something that was in the news. I was the one who had shared it with him and while talking about it he said "oh yes, I know, one of my sons told me."

I was suddenly surprised when I realised he had just mentioned me. Having never had a father while growing up, it's very weird that he might somewhat see me as one of his kids, albeit a borrowed one. Do you think he means it?
Yes.

Rejoice!

But don't take it for granted. And, based on my own experience, I would not recommend asking him if you can call him dad. Just rejoice in knowing.

I had an uncle through marriage, among the toughest and rough-spoken men one can encounter in daily life, police officer from the Bronx in the 1940s-1960s.

He touched me once, on the cheek, with affection, once, it sent warm waves of joy through my entire person that I still experience again and again to this day. Once was enough and no one needed to say anything.

Rejoice!

Old 10-18-2019, 09:26 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,008,146 times
I have 2 step daughters that came into my life as adults and 2 biological sons.
All grown..

I think of all 4 as my kids. If someone asks me about my kids I mention all
4 and spouses and the grands.

The tricky part is that they had a wonderful mother that died when they were teens.
So I do not call myself their "mother" out of respect to their mom.

If I introduce myself when I am around them I feel bad saying I am their stepmom, but not right
saying I am their mom either.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:20 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
I'm 28 and my "father" abandoned my mother while she was pregnant. I saw him only once in my life from afar.

Once I went to university, my mother started a relationship. I was 19 at the time and my stepfather has two sons of his own (they're 40 and 36). We have always got along very well. Because I was already an adult at the time, he never tried to be my father so to speak even though we do a lot of activities that might be considered "father-son activities".

He loves football and everytime he goes he also invites me to go alongside his sons. He has also given me some great advice regarding my career and I've discussed a few personal problems with him while keeping them from my mother.

Above everything, he's very respectful and gentle towards my mother and that's all that I care about (raising me on her own was not a walk in the park).

I think he definitely means it. Be grateful this man considers you his own, a lot of people, myself included, would give an arm and a leg for a man who accepts and loves you as their own.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:41 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
What a great thing to overhear. If you feel up to it emotionally, talk to him about it. And make sure to tell him how you feel about his kindness towards your mother.

Best of luck

Old 10-18-2019, 10:42 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Best post I have read so far today!

He sounds like a wonderful man. Lucky you!

Old 10-18-2019, 11:14 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

No one always gets along well with their parents. If they say so, they are lying.
I have never had an argument with my parents other than small disagreements. We have always got along great. Not that that has anything to do with OP's post. Just had to point that out. I am not lying.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:30 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,008,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
WTH ??
I adored my parents until they passed away.
And I get along great with my adult kids. They treat me like a queen and I don't try to
run their lives.

It's amazing the way relationships flourish with mutual respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships