Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 03:14 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,015,803 times

Advertisements

Your step dad would probably be touched if you think of him as your dad.
If you do maybe you should let him know..

I have grown step daughters & grands by them. We don't get caught up in what we name the relationship but we let each other know often how much we love each other and how glad we are we have each other.
Their dad has passed away so it's even more obvious now that we are in each others lives because we love each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 07:08 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKing View Post
I'm 28 and my "father" abandoned my mother while she was pregnant. I saw him only once in my life from afar.

Once I went to university, my mother started a relationship. I was 19 at the time and my stepfather has two sons of his own (they're 40 and 36). We have always got along very well. Because I was already an adult at the time, he never tried to be my father so to speak even though we do a lot of activities that might be considered "father-son activities".

He loves football and everytime he goes he also invites me to go alongside his sons. He has also given me some great advice regarding my career and I've discussed a few personal problems with him while keeping them from my mother.

Above everything, he's very respectful and gentle towards my mother and that's all that I care about (raising me on her own was not a walk in the park).

Well, long story short, the other day I overheard him speaking on the phone about something that was in the news. I was the one who had shared it with him and while talking about it he said "oh yes, I know, one of my sons told me."

I was suddenly surprised when I realised he had just mentioned me. Having never had a father while growing up, it's very weird that he might somewhat see me as one of his kids, albeit a borrowed one. Do you think he means it?

Yes. When the world gives you grace and love, accept it.

Old 10-28-2019, 02:12 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:

I was suddenly surprised when I realised he had just mentioned me. Having never had a father while growing up, it's very weird that he might somewhat see me as one of his kids, albeit a borrowed one. Do you think he means it?
I hope WEIRD in a good way. Congratulations, he sounds great.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:18 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,958 times
I think it's wonderful. My second marriage was to a man who was a spectacular stepfather to DS. (First husband pretty much disappeared from the scene and self-destructed, eventually dying from cirrhosis.) Even when we were dating (we dated for 7 years), my Mom noticed that DS would refer to us as "my parents"- just shorthand, but pretty revealing. DH also tended to refer casually to DS as "my son". I think it was also shorthand and, unfortunately, the "step"- relationship has negative connotations for so many people I think it was nice they just skipped that word. DS did call DH by his first name.

Be grateful. Be very grateful. When DS married and had his first child I told DH that little girl was his grandchild, too, because without his example DS never would have grown up to be the fine young man he is and might never have had a healthy, happy marriage.

I just remembered a quote from the late writer Erma Bombeck on step-parents: "One of my parents is a step-parent. I forget which one." I loved that!

Old 11-07-2019, 12:09 PM

554 posts, read 623,415 times
Yes, I think he meant it! I was raised by my mother and stepfather. My stepfather always calls me his daughter. Sounds like you have a good father.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:35 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
I'm 28 and my "father" abandoned my mother while she was pregnant. I saw him only once in my life from afar.

Once I went to university, my mother started a relationship. I was 19 at the time and my stepfather has two sons of his own (they're 40 and 36). We have always got along very well. Because I was already an adult at the time, he never tried to be my father so to speak even though we do a lot of activities that might be considered "father-son activities".

He loves football and everytime he goes he also invites me to go alongside his sons. He has also given me some great advice regarding my career and I've discussed a few personal problems with him while keeping them from my mother.

Above everything, he's very respectful and gentle towards my mother and that's all that I care about (raising me on her own was not a walk in the park).

Well, long story short, the other day I overheard him speaking on the phone about something that was in the news. I was the one who had shared it with him and while talking about it he said "oh yes, I know, one of my sons told me."

Yeah, sounds as if it does.

I think it's real. Over my lifetime I have known several men who considered themselves dads to children of their heart, though not their flesh. You lucked out.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:36 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Yes. When the world gives you grace and love, accept it.
Nice, MD.

Old 12-18-2019, 05:42 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,630,750 times
That’s wonderful. Some step parents are a nightmare. I know...

Old 12-26-2019, 10:07 AM

179 posts, read 357,410 times
Quote:

Myself being a step father of 2, I am pretty sure he means it. As a step parent, there is immense pressure to fit in with the family dynamic and for me, the kid's biological father is heavily involved in their lives, as I want him to be. My wife and I have him over for holidays, events etc. He has since remarried and we have big events together. It's definitely ideal.

But yes, I am sure he meant it, otherwise he wouldn't have said it that way. My son is 7 and daughter is 13.. My son always says that I am his step father and he is my son.. He is 7 and doesn't understand the step aspect. He thinks because he has his biological father and me as his step father, and since I do not have any biological children, he isn't "step" son, he is son. In his mind, it makes sense... and it's adorable.

My daughter is 13 and is a daddy's girl.. she will sometimes acknowledge me as step father.. lol. But I don't want to force anything on them.. they will call me whatever they see fit.

It takes a special person to be involved with somebody else's children... It is hard sometimes and there is some conflict, but overall, it's worth it. I do love having the kids around though.. I turn 30 next year and they keep us busy. lol

--B

Old 12-26-2019, 04:00 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,358 times
Quote:

Why would you even question that? It seems to me that he has done a lot both for you and your mom. He is more of a dad than your birth dad was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships