Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 08:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times

Advertisements

I went to your profile, and saw you considered this 5 years ago, and specifically were interested in San Marcos, Galveston, or Port Aransas Texas.

I don't think you'll be able to relocate anywhere where the housing is as cheap as where you are right now - it seems like even 5 years ago the prices in those places would give you sticker shock.

Do you still have the big dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 10:45 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callidus View Post
Hello everyone! I'm gonna apologize ahead of time for this post, since it turned out to be longer than I thought and a bit incoherent. I tried to explain my line of thinking the best I could as to why I want to move away, although it turned out to be more of a soapbox than I anticipated, since this is a fairly emotional choice for me. If you want to get to the actual question, feel free to skip to the bottom.

So right now I'm about to turn 28, and after spending all of my partying years in the middle of a cornfield in a town where I hate everyone in a part of the state where I have to go out of my way in order to socialize, I've come to one conclusion: I'm bored.

To explain further, when I graduated high school I moved back in with my mom in a country town in southern Illinois. At the time, we had money and we were having fun.
Who is "we?" you and your mom? WE had money ... who?

What do you do for work at the moment?

Old 11-11-2019, 11:36 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I went to your profile, and saw you considered this 5 years ago, and specifically were interested in San Marcos, Galveston, or Port Aransas Texas.

I don't think you'll be able to relocate anywhere where the housing is as cheap as where you are right now - it seems like even 5 years ago the prices in those places would give you sticker shock.

The OP probably needs to be realistic and focus on closer locations. A long-distance move can be insanely expensive. I’m not sure of the OP’s exact location, but St. Louis is reasonably cheap and the economy is doing better there this year. Indianapolis is also a good option that is not too expensive. The other closer options, Chicago and Nashville, will probably give the OP sticker shock and not the best options for people who aren’t professionals. The OP will at least live close enough to those locations to drive to interviews. When I was looking for a job about 10 years ago, I was looking mostly driving distance (within 3-5 hours of where I lived). Then once I had more experience, I was able to move farther away.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:55 AM

15 posts, read 12,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

So when I made that post, that was when I was planning on continuing my college career. I was looking at the Texas area since the universities that I was interested in were located at those cities. As you can see by this post, things got in the way of that.

And yup, still have my dog.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The OP probably needs to be realistic and focus on closer locations. A long-distance move can be insanely expensive. I’m not sure of the OP’s exact location, but St. Louis is reasonably cheap and the economy is doing better there this year. Indianapolis is also a good option that is not too expensive. The other closer options, Chicago and Nashville, will probably give the OP sticker shock and not the best options for people who aren’t professionals. The OP will at least live close enough to those locations to drive to interviews. When I was looking for a job about 10 years ago, I was looking mostly driving distance (within 3-5 hours of where I lived). Then once I had more experience, I was able to move farther away.

I actually do live close to St Louis. The issue though is that when I mention the name of my town, people tend to look the other direction because "That's so far away, isn't it?" I've been looked over quite a bit because of this, even though for me the distance isn't an issue. Hell, most people have to Google where my town is. Also, while a few years ago I was hoping for that long distance move since I hate the Midwest with a passion, I am trying to be realistic with what I can do.

Also, I should point out for everyone that even though I am making this post, I am not moving any time soon. I do have a job in a warehouse that I plan on moving around in so I can get more skills, and I'm getting deployed so any chance of moving is going to have to wait regardless.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You went to college, but you don't have any skills?
That's not exactly unheard of. I can't tell you how many people in college I met that didn't even know what they wanted to major in, they were just going to college for the sake of going to college. I was going for sciences, not skilled labor, which is how I left college with no skills. Again, not exactly unheard of.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
That's not exactly unheard of. I can't tell you how many people in college I met that didn't even know what they wanted to major in, they were just going to college for the sake of going to college. I was going for sciences, not skilled labor, which is how I left college with no skills. Again, not exactly unheard of.
Which science?

Old 11-11-2019, 01:11 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
All of your complaints about where you live are about having fun and socializing, but you really need to buck up and be an adult. What was your plan in going to college? You need to go to a community college or a job training program where you are, because you're going to have a heck of a time finding work wherever you end up as a 28 year old with no job history. What do you see yourself doing--working in an office? food service? skilled trades?

Old 11-11-2019, 06:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
When you say you "left college" - do you have a college degree?

With ANY DEGREE, that gives you a leg up into something that is on a track to be better than minimum wage, although you might start with minimum wage.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:32 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
My cousin started out in construction and a boss helped him get licensed as an electrician. He's living large today with his own business. If you're not going to finish college, get yourself in at the ground floor on a trade.

Either you double down on college and go back and crush it academically or you find another route to a career (as in the trade route). I got a fluff degree - English Literature. But my grades were excellent, as was the school I attended, and it turns out I'm really good at what I do. Boom - career.

You still sound like you're in party mode though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships