Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 12:49 AM

15 posts, read 12,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
All of your complaints about where you live are about having fun and socializing, but you really need to buck up and be an adult. What was your plan in going to college? You need to go to a community college or a job training program where you are, because you're going to have a heck of a time finding work wherever you end up as a 28 year old with no job history. What do you see yourself doing--working in an office? food service? skilled trades?

The whole reason why I stopped going to college was so I can be an adult. I went to a community college, got my Associates (I had plans on going into Zoology, for those asking), I was going to get my Electricians certificate as a backup until I got my last job in landscaping that took up all of my time, however when I got done with my Associates the closest university to continue would've been an hour away, and going full time I figured it would be extremely difficult to go to university full time, have a job so I can pay my mortgage/car payment/insurance/bills all by myself. That is why I didn't pursue that path.

Also, I said I wasn't skilled, I never said that I had no job history. I don't have experience in trades and my computer skills are about a decade outdated. I do have plans to fix this, however the issue is getting those plans into motion.

Finally, you can be an adult and still have fun and socialize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
When you say you "left college" - do you have a college degree?

With ANY DEGREE, that gives you a leg up into something that is on a track to be better than minimum wage, although you might start with minimum wage.

I do have an Associated in Applied Science. My plan was to go into Zoology, and after that get my Electricians certificate as a backup. Now that I'm older, I kinda wish I would've had my backup be my main focus. However the job I have now does have tuition reimbursement that I need to look into, since my job does have an electric department and it might be my ticket to get experience in that field.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My cousin started out in construction and a boss helped him get licensed as an electrician. He's living large today with his own business. If you're not going to finish college, get yourself in at the ground floor on a trade.

Either you double down on college and go back and crush it academically or you find another route to a career (as in the trade route). I got a fluff degree - English Literature. But my grades were excellent, as was the school I attended, and it turns out I'm really good at what I do. Boom - career.

You still sound like you're in party mode though.

I wouldn't really say I'm in party mode, it's just I'm tired of being socially isolated. I have a feeling a lot of people misunderstood how I am since I said that I spent my partying years in the middle of nowhere and I'm bored, they took it as I don't want to be an adult and just want to spend my time partying. No. It's just that when I do want to go out, I'd like to be around people my age (not retirement age) and not have to drive 45 minutes to actually meet people. I'm not going to abandon all of my responsibilities or blow all of my money on alcohol and tattoos, I just want to be in a place where it's easier for me to meet people.

Anyways, good for your cousin! I wish more companies and bosses were like that, and it really is nice to hear that bosses still do that for their employees. I do agree with you though about starting ground floor, which is why I do like the place I'm working now. It's a warehouse, but there are a lot of departments in it (welding, electrical, pipe, etc.) and I plan on working my way from where I am now (paint) into one of those other places. I mentioned in a reply that I don't plan on moving any time soon, and this job is part of that reason since I want to transfer departments and get enough experience to make a decent impact on my resume, even if I do just wind up staying in paint.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:57 AM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callidus View Post
Hello everyone! I'm gonna apologize ahead of time for this post, since it turned out to be longer than I thought and a bit incoherent. I tried to explain my line of thinking the best I could as to why I want to move away, although it turned out to be more of a soapbox than I anticipated, since this is a fairly emotional choice for me. If you want to get to the actual question, feel free to skip to the bottom.

So right now I'm about to turn 28, and after spending all of my partying years in the middle of a cornfield in a town where I hate everyone in a part of the state where I have to go out of my way in order to socialize, I've come to one conclusion: I'm bored.
Everyone? Really? What has "everyone" in this town done to make you hate them?

This may prove to be the most difficult obstacle to overcome in any new place to which you move. When you hate "everyone", you might need to look at yourself as the problem, not the town.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:29 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
I can't add anything new, as its all been said.

Have a plan and save money (3 months living expenses at least) and go. Make sure your resume is up to date and start connecting with recruiters on LinkedIn.

I did this at 28 when I left south Florida and moved to Atlanta. It was the late 90's and the economy was booming. I found a job in 2 months. I'm much older now, so I would never do it that way again, but I also hate where I live. I'm socially isolated just like you. No friends here in the Plains. I hate the weather, culture, and everything else about it. But for me, I have to conduct a long distance job search. But for you, thats optional in my opinion. Just make sure you have enough savings and an idea of what you want to do, and you'll easily do it. Unemployment rate for college educated people is even lower than the 3.6% nationally. Now is the time to make the move!

Old 11-12-2019, 08:33 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,719 times
I moved to the Midwest at 21 yrs of age from Southern California after growing up just 4 miles from the beach. I hated it with a fury of a thousand suns. Op, my advice is to stop having a bad attitude and make a life for yourself. I know it is hard but complaining about it will make it worse. I understand about being the outsider and it really helped me when we joined a Church, had children and started a business. I made some friends who were also from other areas. I would advise going to a trade school to learn skills that are highly needed such as electrical, welding, plumbing. You are not to old at 28 yrs old, my daughter went to college for a business degree and went back at 28 and got her Nursing degree and is now a RN.

All this to say a bad attitude can affect even how people respond to you.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:41 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callidus View Post
I actually do live close to St Louis. The issue though is that when I mention the name of my town, people tend to look the other direction because "That's so far away, isn't it?" I've been looked over quite a bit because of this, even though for me the distance isn't an issue. Hell, most people have to Google where my town is. Also, while a few years ago I was hoping for that long distance move since I hate the Midwest with a passion, I am trying to be realistic with what I can do.

Also, I should point out for everyone that even though I am making this post, I am not moving any time soon. I do have a job in a warehouse that I plan on moving around in so I can get more skills, and I'm getting deployed so any chance of moving is going to have to wait regardless.

Whoa. You are being deployed. That means you must in the military. When you get home, use your GI bill and go back to college & get a degree. Your military experience is a job skill. Or go to trade school--electrical, plumbing. Or go be a UPS driver.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:46 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Whoa. You are being deployed. That means you must in the military. When you get home, use your GI bill and go back to college & get a degree. Your military experience is a job skill. Or go to trade school--electrical, plumbing. Or go be a UPS driver.
Missed that, yes use your GI bill to advance your skills

Old 11-12-2019, 09:05 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
This meant sound crazy . . .but if you liked landscaping or animals. . . there are hands-on internships that lead to jobs.

Quote:
Our approach is “hands-on,” providing a select few each year with a chance to become part of a team of people who are plant enthusiasts, who love to garden, who love Stonecrop and who want to share this garden with others.

The internship runs from February through December and includes a 40-hour workweek with alternating weekend duties. Compensation includes $400 per week and a shared living situation with other interns in our gatehouse. Please note that since Stonecrop is situated in a remote setting, there is no reliable taxi service or public transportation. Therefore, interns are required to have a valid driver’s licence and a car.

Interested parties should send a letter of intent and résumé for consideration and to receive an application.
https://www.stonecrop.org/internship/

Quote:
Institute Internships Explore the Human-Animal Bond and Nature-Based Programs
The Sam and Myra Ross Institute Internship offers a unique immersion experience for individuals interested in exploring the human-animal bond and nature-based activities to benefit children with special needs. This hands-on internship takes place in Green Chimneys’ enriched and supportive environment.

The Brewster Campus in Brewster NY serves over 220 children in residential care or day treatment where a professional treatment team of medical staff, social workers, teachers and childcare professionals are supported by experts in animal-assisted activities, horticulture education, outdoor education and nature-based vocational life skills training. The Farm & Wildlife Center is home to over 200 farm animals, horses, and permanently injured wildlife. Institute Interns also interact with children and families through public programs and special events open to all community members.

Program Schedule
The Institute Internship is a full-time, 4- or 8-month commitment. Interns work five days a week and also participate in occasional weekend activities and events. Exact dates vary depending on the Green Chimneys calendar.

FARM ANIMAL, EQUINE, WILDLIFE, AND DOG* PROGRAM TRACKS
Vocational Farming at Boni-Bel
Spring/Summer: January – August (Interview in October)
Fall: September – December (Interview in June)
Vocational and Garden Education programs
Grow season: April – November (Interview in February)
https://www.greenchimneys.org/why-an...nship-program/

Old 11-12-2019, 10:36 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,684,449 times
Could you consider air-bnb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships