Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 10:16 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,185,760 times

Advertisements

I don't recall hearing that one, but my folks never had anything nice to say to anyone, so didn't say much at all other than go somewhere else and do something productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 10:19 AM

9,869 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It was on the Cosby show, in the pilot, and it was said in a very loving, humorous situation. Most parents who say it in real life most likely first heard it in that context. Context is very important.
Thank you! This thread is so surprising, I can't believe the number of people who never watched the show and are taking the phrase literally. The Cosby Show was one of the most loved family shows on tv.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:34 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Just out of curiosity, have your parents at any point in your life said to you?

"I brought you into this world & I can take you out."

I know it's a common statement for some reason, but I think it's a horrible, unnecessary thing to say. I strongly believe NO parent should say it under any circumstances, but I'm sure parents do say it. My SO thinks that more parents that not say that. I don't think so personally.

I'll start. My parents never, ever said that to me. My SO's (toxic) father said it to him all the time so as to hold power over him & put fear in his mind...NOT because my SO was a bad kid/teen.
Oh yeah. That worked until I was 12 and could actually fight back physically or I didn’t give a to be in this world anymore.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:43 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,996,596 times
Joking or not, I personally don't like the statement at all & I know the parent doesn't mean they'll literally KILL their child.

Also, yeah, yeah I heard Bill Cosby say it on that very early season episode of Cosby show. He was talking to Theo about his bad grade at the time when they were in his room. Yes, I was a child in the 80s & Cosby Show was one of my fave shows, but I honestly never cared for Cosby himself (little did I know back then how his vile real-life acts came out into the light). But knowing how Bill Cosby is in real life, it doesn't surprise me that he likes to say that phrase since another poster said he said it also in his stand-up routine.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:11 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
My parents didn't use that particular phrase since it came out long after their time, but my mom used to say "I'll kill you" when she got frustrated with us, just like she used to say "you kids will be the death of me". Well she didn't kill us and we didn't cause her death. We used to laugh at her when she said those things because we knew she didn't mean it and we knew she cherished us.

Parents who say such things don't mean it, they're just venting steam. If they really mean to beat their kids to bloody pulps or to kill their kids they will never say those things to them, they don't give warnings about their intentions, they just do it. Giving warnings would defeat their purpose if they actually intended to do it.

They said it - they didn't do it. Sticks and stones can break your bones but words won't kill you. They're just threats.

I think people who get upset today about their parents having spoken out threats about such things that never happened need to stop being overly sensitive whoosies and get a grip on the reality of adulthood. They're still here, still alive, they never got murdered by their parents, so what is their problem and why are they complaining today about things that mommy and daddy said to them decades ago but that never happened?

Old 11-23-2019, 11:15 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, have your parents at any point in your life said to you?

"I brought you into this world & I can take you out."

I know it's a common statement for some reason, but I think it's a horrible, unnecessary thing to say. I strongly believe NO parent should say it under any circumstances, but I'm sure parents do say it. My SO thinks that more parents that not say that. I don't think so personally.

I'll start. My parents never, ever said that to me. My SO's (toxic) father said it to him all the time so as to hold power over him & put fear in his mind...NOT because my SO was a bad kid/teen.
My dad often told me he will kill me starting when I was 5.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,996,596 times
Yeah, see parents have to be careful what they say. I don't care how joking a manner it may be, saying anything like:

The statement I said in this OP
I'll kill you
You'll be the death of me

...it's just not good because those kinds of words are very strong & impactful.

If parents are angered by their kids, they should simply say those exact words & NOT illiterate, exaggerate, etc.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:29 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:

How do you know that? You said that nobody ever said it to you so how do you know if they're strong and impactful on anyone? You said your husband's father said such things. Did your husband turn out battered or dead, or a frightened mouse?

Old 11-23-2019, 11:30 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Yeah, see parents have to be careful what they say. I don't care how joking a manner it may be, saying anything like:

The statement I said in this OP
I'll kill you
You'll be the death of me

If parents are angered by their kids, they should simply say those exact words & NOT illiterate, exaggerate, etc.
That's all very well, but even from the youngest age that is not how we communicate.

"Gosh, I was supposed to be home 20 minutes ago! Mom is going to kill me!"
"Susie, you left your sweater at home AGAIN? You'll be the death of me yet."

Everyone (except you) understands the use of such phrases and that context is everything.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:44 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
That's all very well, but even from the youngest age that is not how we communicate.

"Gosh, I was supposed to be home 20 minutes ago! Mom is going to kill me!"
"Susie, you left your sweater at home AGAIN? You'll be the death of me yet."

Everyone (except you) understands the use of such phrases and that context is everything.

This right here. The OP appears to have issues that they are seeking to foist on the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships