Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 08:04 PM

500 posts, read 359,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Just out of curiosity, have your parents at any point in your life said to you?

"I brought you into this world & I can take you out."
My mom tried to take me and my brother out.

She failed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 08:34 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Thank you! This thread is so surprising, I can't believe the number of people who never watched the show and are taking the phrase literally. The Cosby Show was one of the most loved family shows on tv.
I watched the Cosby show. I just don't find physical threats amusing whether meant as a joke or not.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:49 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Sarcastic comments like the one the OP mentioned used to be made all the time by people. It was done in more of a joking way and never intended to be harmful. One side of our family referred to me and my siblings as 'the little sh---" when we were growing up. We considered it a term of endearment and still refer to ourselves as such. We weren't bad kids, but we were very active and had a lot of creative ideas.

People used to say 'I'm going to kill you.' That was just a way of acknowledging that someone had basically done something or outed you for something that was embarrassing. There was no threat of attempted murder.
Common sense isn't allowed.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:46 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Just out of curiosity, have your parents at any point in your life said to you?

"I brought you into this world & I can take you out."

I know it's a common statement for some reason, but I think it's a horrible, unnecessary thing to say. I strongly believe NO parent should say it under any circumstances, but I'm sure parents do say it. My SO thinks that more parents that not say that. I don't think so personally.

I'll start. My parents never, ever said that to me. My SO's (toxic) father said it to him all the time so as to hold power over him & put fear in his mind...NOT because my SO was a bad kid/teen.
i cant say for sure but i wouldnt be surprised at all if they did.....my dad also jokingly told me he would kill me.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:29 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Yes, though in a joking manner.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:13 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
I'm glad some of you agree that it's not really good to make jokes like that at kids' expense. I don't care if people later say that they turned out just fine later. I'll never like those kinds of statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
This reminds me of a time when my daughter had done something unapproved and I was pretty upset. We were in her room and I was giving her a talk and when I actually "heard" the words coming out of my mouth I stopped in mid-sentence and said, "Wait a minute. That's not what I want to say. Those are words your grandma said to me."

It was a shocking moment of revelation about how programmed we can be by what we experience. I learned something that day. We don't have to act out "damage" and we don't have to repeat the mistakes. If we're not careful we can do it almost automatically.

I'd never really paid attention before to how much I could be just like what I didn't like!
Yes, very good points! Comments like that are not necessary to say at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, my parents never said that, and I would never say it to my child.

Some years ago, the teenaged daughter of a friend ran away. She was easily located--she'd gone to her aunt's house. But when I asked my friend what had happened, she said they were arguing, and she'd said to her daughter, "I wish you were dead." Then she said, "You know how your mother always said that to you? Well, I said it to her, and she ran out the door."

I said, "WHAAAAAT? My mother NEVER said that to me. You're shocked because your daughter ran away?"

Who the hell says something like that to their kid???
Woah, now that's vicious & vile. No good parent should ever say that, which is the equivalent to, "I wish you were never born."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I watched the Cosby show. I just don't find physical threats amusing whether meant as a joke or not.
I totally agree!

Old 11-25-2019, 10:33 AM

127 posts, read 61,381 times
My parents never said that to me or my siblings and I never heard it from my friends that their parents made that statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships