Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 02:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times

Advertisements

The phrase is as bad as saying, “Calm down” or “you are over reacting.”

Using it just makes the other person mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 02:59 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Its really common in my circle and j hate it. I just had a male friend say it to me when I was explaining the circumstances of why another couple had cancelled plans. I wasn't upset about this but he said " just breathe. Take a deep breath " and i got annoyed and confused.

I'm glad it's not common with others. I hope it doesn't catch on.
I think people say that when you overreact over something minor. At least that's what I experience. I have had people tell me just breathe and take a deep breath. And it was always justified.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:11 PM

1,159 posts, read 621,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Same. I don't think anyone has ever said it to me. I've never said it to another adult, only to my preschool students when one of them is all worked up and crying.
I hope you don't say it in a mean way....

Old 11-25-2019, 03:40 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think people say that when you overreact over something minor. At least that's what I experience. I have had people tell me just breathe and take a deep breath. And it was always justified.
What this well-intentioned person really meant was to slow your roll, quit overreacting to whatever it is, then take a calm breath, re-think, and start again. Like so many things, the intention has gotten warped out of recognition into a catchphrase. Guess I prefer to honor the intention, not the verbiage. I'm glad someone noticed I was upset. I know what they meant. So sorry some others can't be bothered...they live on alert and have to jump straight to anger.

Old 11-25-2019, 04:09 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,458,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What this well-intentioned person really meant was to slow your roll, quit overreacting to whatever it is, then take a calm breath, re-think, and start again. Like so many things, the intention has gotten warped out of recognition into a catchphrase. Guess I prefer to honor the intention, not the verbiage. I'm glad someone noticed I was upset. I know what they meant. So sorry some others can't be bothered...they live on alert and have to jump straight to anger.
But most of the time this attributes being upset to a situation where no one actually is. To me it seems like telling someone to smile because they look upset. Managing other people's emotions for them is very rude.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:26 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
I hope you don't say it in a mean way....
Of course not. I even take deep breaths with them to show them how to calm down.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:45 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I feel the exact opposite especially when I'm nor in a state of emotional upheaval and its said.

I find this very trite and a ridiculous thing to say to anyone unless they are literally hyperventilating with anxiety.

I despise it when people assume I’m upset, so yes if someone said that to me I’d take it as somewhat dismissive.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:53 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The phrase is as bad as saying, “Calm down” or “you are over reacting.”

Using it just makes the other person mad.
I worked 7 years on a suicide crisis hotline and we would have been fired if we told callers “calm down” or “ you’re overreacting “ . I can’t imagine saying “take a deep breath” being helpful or useful either.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:38 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
I use it all the time, and I hate it. I need a rubber band or something to smack myself every time I say it.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:40 PM

88,609 posts, read 84,857,016 times
I've heard it on TV shows, but no one has ever said it to me nor I to anyone else. Yes, I would think it was dismissive of my feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships