Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 03:54 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
But most of the time this attributes being upset to a situation where no one actually is. To me it seems like telling someone to smile because they look upset. Managing other people's emotions for them is very rude.
No. That has not been my experience. Usually we said this at my old job all the time when people in my unit got frustrated over annoying things that happened. People were legitimately upset. Plus we could all be a bit dramatic. So it was meant to be helpful and not all in the vein of being told to smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 03:54 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
Take a deep breath = Count to ten. I guess it would work for some people to calm down.

I think I'd make a fist if someone ever said that to me. It takes a LOT to get me angry, and being told to calm down would just put more fuel to my fire.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:37 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,474,716 times
So, in my group it’s meant like “Take a deep breath — you’ll get through this.”

I’ve never taken it to mean that I’m overreacting—-but I wouldn’t mind if it did. Being unnecessarily emotional is an energy drain for me that prohibits me from being productive and happy.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:01 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I feel the exact opposite especially when I'm nor in a state of emotional upheaval and its said.

I find this very trite and a ridiculous thing to say to anyone unless they are literally hyperventilating with anxiety.
If someone is upset to the point of being red faced, or sobbing, or the inability to form a coherent statement I might tell them to take a deep breath. It slows them down enough to make communication easier. Can't make sense of someone sputtering away in a fit of tears or anger.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:48 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
I might say that to a close friend or my own kid who is upset, but not to some random person or to someone who is not visibly upset. And I wouldn't say it if they were angry at me... more like if they were upset about a situation that didn't directly pertain to me. And actually, my phrasing would be something like, "okay, just breathe for a minute."

Old 11-26-2019, 10:11 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,456 times
I always took it as take some deep breaths before it can escalate into something worse. I don’t think it’s bad advice.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:49 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I always took it as take some deep breaths before it can escalate into something worse. I don’t think it’s bad advice.
But why is it your role to give it?

If someone is recounting a prosaic story and you say this, you attribute a level of upset to them that probably doesn't exist. Thats annoying. If someone is truly angry or even just venting, telling them to "take a deep breath: is useless. How about listening and asking questions about why they are upset?

This phrase is ridiculous except at a doctor's office.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:56 AM

6,306 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If someone is upset to the point of being red faced, or sobbing, or the inability to form a coherent statement I might tell them to take a deep breath. It slows them down enough to make communication easier. Can't make sense of someone sputtering away in a fit of tears or anger.

the op is NOT asking about a situation like this at all but one in which a person is recounting a situation and is calm. I don’t know about others here but it reminds me of the reaction from some men who tell you you’re being hysterical or overreacting when in fact you’re simply asserting something or making a statement.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:43 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Of course not. I even take deep breaths with them to show them how to calm down.
Oh my - you ARE nice!

Seriously, if you really want to help then further inquire about the issue so you at least understand if the problem is major or minor rather than just assume. Unless you're dealing with an actual child, don't assume they are overreacting - it's very dismissive. If you're going to be dismissive then just turn away rather than offer fake help in the form of "take a deep breath".

Old 11-26-2019, 12:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
I've heard it all my life, even had it said to me sometimes. Did it make me mad? Yes, on some occasions, and on each of those, I was made because they were right, it NEEDED to be said to me, I needed to stop, take a deep breath, organize my thoughts, and become coherent again so that I could express those thoughts so someone else could understand them.

If you have it being said to you often, by more than one person, you need to look at the common denominator, which would be you, rather than getting mad and wanting to kill the messenger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships