Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 06:36 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,674 times

Advertisements

How do you feel when someone says this to you?

Personally I find it really condescending and it generally rules me up especially if I was not upset when someone says this.

Do you like or use this phrase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 06:51 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Never use that expression and can’t recall it ever been said to me, except at the doctors office exam. I suppose if it was said it would be really depend on who, what ,where and the context.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:53 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Completely depends on the context and tone.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:58 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Never use that expression and can’t recall it ever been said to me, except at the doctors office exam. I suppose if it was said it would be really depend on who, what ,where and the context.
Same. I don't think anyone has ever said it to me. I've never said it to another adult, only to my preschool students when one of them is all worked up and crying.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:56 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,474,716 times
My girlfriends and I have said it to each other at times, and it’s viewed as a positive/helpful thing. I don’t recall a guy ever saying it to me.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
My girlfriends and I have said it to each other at times, and it’s viewed as a positive/helpful thing. I don’t recall a guy ever saying it to me.
Its really common in my circle and j hate it. I just had a male friend say it to me when I was explaining the circumstances of why another couple had cancelled plans. I wasn't upset about this but he said " just breathe. Take a deep breath " and i got annoyed and confused.

I'm glad it's not common with others. I hope it doesn't catch on.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:19 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Actually, "Take a deep breath", has been around as long as I can remember and that is a long,long time.

My mom used it when we kids were really mad or upset.

I use the term on family or close friends as a calm down suggestion given in real concern for their state of mind, whether they are angry, in pain or some emotional upheaval they are trying to deal with.

If someone close to me tells me to take a deep breath when I am emotionally upset it shows their genuine concern for me.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Actually, "Take a deep breath", has been around as long as I can remember and that is a long,long time.

My mom used it when we kids were really mad or upset.

I use the term on family or close friends as a calm down suggestion given in real concern for their state of mind, whether they are angry, in pain or some emotional upheaval they are trying to deal with.

If someone close to me tells me to take a deep breath when I am emotionally upset it shows their genuine concern for me.
I feel the exact opposite especially when I'm nor in a state of emotional upheaval and its said.

I find this very trite and a ridiculous thing to say to anyone unless they are literally hyperventilating with anxiety.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:47 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Its really common in my circle and j hate it. I just had a male friend say it to me when I was explaining the circumstances of why another couple had cancelled plans. I wasn't upset about this but he said " just breathe. Take a deep breath " and i got annoyed and confused.

I'm glad it's not common with others. I hope it doesn't catch on.
While it’s not common for me, for some reason when my sisters and I are talking about something when I speak, they automatically think I’m upset. Which I don’t understand.

One day my sister was talking about where she used to work and I had a corresponding type of story, and when I told it, she said why do you get so upset about this stuff? And I asked her why do you think I’m upset, you told a story, I’m telling a story — that’s it.

After that I think we’ve come to a better understanding. Sometimes I think in our society where it seems everybody is upset about everything and offended about everything, people seem to automatically react in a calm down, calm down sort of way. Although I don’t understand it, they know you, they know they should know you aren’t upset.

Old 11-25-2019, 01:11 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
I think it's condescending unless you're in the doctor's office.

Sounds dismissive when you are feeling strongly about a topic.

Can't remember the last time I heard it, outside of the doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships