Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 07:43 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The above was my only post here. I didn’t say anything about myself other than I don’t like it. It’s usually used (in my experience) when people are upset though. To me it’s condescending in a way like I’m being hysterical woman (in my fiancé’s eyes) kind of thing.

Sorry, for some reason when I posted that I thought you were the OP. My apologies for the mistake.

As I said earlier, when someone says it to me and I get mad it's usually because they are right on target - I DO need to take a deep breath and calm down because I'm not being coherent in my arguments, emotion getting in the way. And every time I've seen it being used on someone else, it's for the same reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
you don’t actually have to be offended to call something out.

Actually, yes, you do. Otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to call it out.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
I lived in Texas 11 years and I don’t recall it ever been said , not on the crisis hotlines or off. As for the claim of being easily offended , meh, that’s just a dismissive tactic to deflect others from calling something out or recognizing something as being possibly offensive or problematic.

Where in Texas? I've lived here for 70 years, East Texas, North Texas, Central Texas, husband raised in San Antonio and I have family there, and it's a common thing to say when appropriate.

As for your response to the possibility of being easily offended, that's predictable. No one who is easily offended wants to acknowledge that it's possible that it's them, not others. It's part of the condition.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I have, on occasion, heard it used that way. Perhaps it's a regional thing, along the lines of "Bless her heart."

Most often however I've heard "take a deep breath" used in a business situation where it's typically used to shut down objections to ideas and decisions. Usually in the form of person A presents an idea and the room nods along in group think except for person B who objects. Whereupon person A, or a supporter, tells person B "you need to take a deep breath." Used as a means of taking control away from person B and simultaneously creating the image that person B is not presenting rational arguments, but is being hysterical. Hence dismissive and condescending toward person B.

Now that's different, and definitely objectionable. I have never heard it used in a business setting, only personal. If I heard it used in a business setting I would absolutely think less of the person using it (unless, of course, the person it was being used to, male or female, was being extremely emotional in a business setting).

Old 11-28-2019, 08:12 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Actually, yes, you do. Otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to call it out.
So if someone is being racist or rude to others you have to be personally offended to call it out otherwise you just sit there silently or ignore it. Alrighty then.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:18 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Where in Texas? I've lived here for 70 years, East Texas, North Texas, Central Texas, husband raised in San Antonio and I have family there, and it's a common thing to say when appropriate.

As for your response to the possibility of being easily offended, that's predictable. No one who is easily offended wants to acknowledge that it's possible that it's them, not others. It's part of the condition.
I never have a problem sharing when actually offended which is thankfully a rare occurrence, certainly not by anyone on social media. ok: Central Texas and really loved the years I lived and travelled around the state.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:10 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,818,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I feel the exact opposite especially when I'm nor in a state of emotional upheaval and its said.

I find this very trite and a ridiculous thing to say to anyone unless they are literally hyperventilating with anxiety.
i agree, it's a stupid thing to do. Someone said it to me once, and I told them basically that was a stupid thing to say and just shutup.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
So if someone is being racist or rude to others you have to be personally offended to call it out otherwise you just sit there silently or ignore it. Alrighty then.

I didn't say personally. I said offended. You can be offended by racism without experiencing it personally, but if you are not offended by it, you certainly wouldn't call it out because you would see no need to do so.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:39 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I have, on occasion, heard it used that way. Perhaps it's a regional thing, along the lines of "Bless her heart."

Most often however I've heard "take a deep breath" used in a business situation where it's typically used to shut down objections to ideas and decisions. Usually in the form of person A presents an idea and the room nods along in group think except for person B who objects. Whereupon person A, or a supporter, tells person B "you need to take a deep breath." Used as a means of taking control away from person B and simultaneously creating the image that person B is not presenting rational arguments, but is being hysterical. Hence dismissive and condescending toward person B.
That's weird. I've never heard it used that way but I could certainly see how that particular use would be offensive.
Out of curiosity I asked my daughter her take on this and she said the only time she finds it offensive is if it's used by someone she's having a difference of opinion (argument) with.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:01 AM

8,050 posts, read 10,640,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
How do you feel when someone says this to you?

Personally I find it really condescending and it generally rules me up especially if I was not upset when someone says this.

Do you like or use this phrase?
It IS condescending and I think people are ignorant that use this. It's not helpful, and it's rude.

I have a co-worker that does this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships