Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 10:43 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson24 View Post
Hello, My wife and I have been living a rural neighborhood for a few months. It is nice and quiet, with middle aged couples and elderly, but it's possible it filled with gossiping, nosy neighbors. When we moved in, only one person has come by and said hello, this neighbor at the time had in-laws living in the house. The others haven't said anything. After some time passed, this one person invited us and others over for a gathering and we met them and rest of the neighbors. More time passed, one evening I was talking to my sister outside on the phone and she was telling me about some bad experiences she's had and I told some of mine BUT none of it had anything to do with my neighbors I don't even know them!, the next day this in-law is talking from the porch to the neighbor across the street at his fence. I couldn't hear what they were talking about, BUT it sounded like they were talking about someone and laughing, etc. The next time I saw this neighbor he was mowing, I waved and he waved back but with a frown on his face. Then another time from a neighbors house, someone saw me and growled something from a distance but I couldn't see them. This is what I think happened, this in-law eavesdropped on my phone conversation, I don't what was made of it, but it wasn't good. This neighbor I believe has spread this trash about me, (whatever it is) since the in-law left. I've talked since, and asked if we were ok and said "why shouldn't we", Liar? It's beyond me why these people treat me like this, they don't know me. Now the same person who had the first one, is having another gathering. I can't decide if i'm going or not, I don't know if I want to be around these people, they're liable to give me the cold shoulder anyhow. Thanks for listening.
How on earth could someone on a neighboring property, probably in their own home, eavesdrop on your phone conversation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 11:32 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
Hello, My wife and I have been living a rural neighborhood for a few months. It is nice and quiet, with middle aged couples and elderly, but it's possible it filled with gossiping, nosy neighbors.
That's a surprise?

Quote:
When we moved in, only one person has come by and said hello, this neighbor at the time had in-laws living in the house. The others haven't said anything.
Why haven't you put out the hand of friendship? Why does it have to be everyone else?

Quote:
After some time passed, this one person invited us and others over for a gathering and we met them and rest of the neighbors. More time passed, one evening I was talking to my sister outside on the phone and she was telling me about some bad experiences she's had and I told some of mine BUT none of it had anything to do with my neighbors I don't even know them!,
This is your fault, you should have been out greeting them, meeting and getting to know them. Usually one or two visits and you'll know if you should or shouldn't make it three.

Quote:
the next day this in-law is talking from the porch to the neighbor across the street at his fence. I couldn't hear what they were talking about, BUT it sounded like they were talking about someone and laughing, etc. The next time I saw this neighbor he was mowing, I waved and he waved back but with a frown on his face.
Maybe he just had a nerve pinch. Maybe pooped his pants, or had a kidney stone roll out of the urethra.

Quote:
Then another time from a neighbors house, someone saw me and growled something from a distance but I couldn't see them.
How then can you be sure it was directed at you?

Quote:
This is what I think happened, this in-law eavesdropped on my phone conversation, I don't what was made of it, but it wasn't good. This neighbor I believe has spread this trash about me, (whatever it is) since the in-law left.
Hmmm...Do you often think people are talking about you when no proof is present?

Quote:
I've talked since, and asked if we were ok and said "why shouldn't we", Liar? It's beyond me why these people treat me like this, they don't know me. Now the same person who had the first one, is having another gathering. I can't decide if i'm going or not, I don't know if I want to be around these people, they're liable to give me the cold shoulder anyhow. Thanks for listening.

Again, they don't know you as you haven't invited them or gone to meet them. Go to the meeting, say "Hey, I've been a sort of jerk not getting out to meet you. I hope we can get along in this area" and let nature do the rest.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:54 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Seems like OP lives in the hood. Was on his porch talking badly about his last residence, mentioned guns and illegals, neighbor heard a few words, made assumptions. Now everyone is scared.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:23 AM

65 posts, read 35,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How on earth could someone on a neighboring property, probably in their own home, eavesdrop on your phone conversation?
Ok, I've moved on, and i'm going, but you don't think that a person could go outside to have smoke?

Old 12-06-2019, 08:28 AM

[quote=oh-eve;56794506]Seems like OP lives in the hood. Was on his porch talking badly about his last residence, mentioned guns and illegals, neighbor heard a few words, made assumptions. Now everyone is scared.[/QUOTE/]

I USE TO live in a BAD neighborhood.

Old 12-06-2019, 08:45 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
Some of us live our lives trying to find slights and problems when they don't exist. When we can't find them in real life we imagine them.

Some of us optimistically live our lives imagining that others will be as nice as we are. We don't create stories about people not liking us and think the best.

Which one are your OP?

Old 12-06-2019, 08:45 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
[quote=lawson24;56799284]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Seems like OP lives in the hood. Was on his porch talking badly about his last residence, mentioned guns and illegals, neighbor heard a few words, made assumptions. Now everyone is scared.[/QUOTE/]

I USE TO live in a BAD neighborhood.
Yes, and you spoke with someone about it over the phone, on your porch. Loud enough to have the neighbor hear some words of it. All they probably heard was GUNS, ILLEGALS, CRIMINALS, SHOOTINGS and they got freaked out. So they were spreading gossip about you somehow being involved with GUNS and SHOOTINGS and GANGS.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post

Why haven't you put out the hand of friendship? Why does it have to be everyone else?

I just figured, they wanted to be left alone, you know some people like their privacy, but this is good advise, I will try to make friends.

This is your fault, you should have been out greeting them, meeting and getting to know them. Usually one or two visits and you'll know if you should or shouldn't make it three.

First of all, I hardly see these people one has waved and I have waved back. Another I waited until I saw one of them and waved.

Maybe he just had a nerve pinch. Maybe pooped his pants, or had a kidney stone roll out of the urethra.

True

How then can you be sure it was directed at you?

True, again.

Hmmm...Do you often think people are talking about you when no proof is present?

Right, again.

Again, they don't know you as you haven't invited them or gone to meet them. Go to the meeting, say "Hey, I've been a sort of jerk not getting out to meet you. I hope we can get along in this area" and let nature do the rest.
Again, good advise, I will say this , thanks again.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:41 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Ok, I've moved on, and i'm going, but you don't think that a person could go outside to have smoke?
Why would you have to go outside of your own home to smoke, if you live alone? You didn't mention you had a wife or a family... And why would you be speaking so loudly, that a neighbor could hear? it still doesn't make sense.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:04 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,821,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why would you have to go outside of your own home to smoke, if you live alone? You didn't mention you had a wife or a family... And why would you be speaking so loudly, that a neighbor could hear? it still doesn't make sense.
Many people who smoke don't smoke in their house, whether they live alone or not. I also think the OP is suggesting the neighbor's in-law was out smoking, but it's hard to follow to be honest.

This was an odd thread. OP, are you an introvert by chance? I know I am and I can overthink things, especially interactions with other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships