Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 02:44 PM

65 posts, read 35,941 times

Advertisements

Hello, My wife and I have been living a rural neighborhood for a few months. It is nice and quiet, with middle aged couples and elderly, but it's possible it filled with gossiping, nosy neighbors. When we moved in, only one person has come by and said hello, this neighbor at the time had in-laws living in the house. The others haven't said anything. After some time passed, this one person invited us and others over for a gathering and we met them and rest of the neighbors. More time passed, one evening I was talking to my sister outside on the phone and she was telling me about some bad experiences she's had and I told some of mine BUT none of it had anything to do with my neighbors I don't even know them!, the next day this in-law is talking from the porch to the neighbor across the street at his fence. I couldn't hear what they were talking about, BUT it sounded like they were talking about someone and laughing, etc. The next time I saw this neighbor he was mowing, I waved and he waved back but with a frown on his face. Then another time from a neighbors house, someone saw me and growled something from a distance but I couldn't see them. This is what I think happened, this in-law eavesdropped on my phone conversation, I don't what was made of it, but it wasn't good. This neighbor I believe has spread this trash about me, (whatever it is) since the in-law left. I've talked since, and asked if we were ok and said "why shouldn't we", Liar? It's beyond me why these people treat me like this, they don't know me. Now the same person who had the first one, is having another gathering. I can't decide if i'm going or not, I don't know if I want to be around these people, they're liable to give me the cold shoulder anyhow. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 02:59 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
I think you should go. At least to try and change whatever perception your neighbors might have of you.

Show them that you can be open and gregarious. You can't always help people's perceptions of you, but it seems like this gathering is a golden opportunity to try.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:59 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
How old you? Are you really married or are you a middle school kid home alone and bored?

Why do you care if they may or may not be talking about you?

Last edited by Kim in FL; 12-03-2019 at 03:13 PM..

Old 12-03-2019, 03:00 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
What in the world did you say on the phone that would be so off-putting that people would shun you?

Old 12-03-2019, 03:15 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think you should go. At least to try and change whatever perception your neighbors might have of you.

Show them that you can be open and gregarious. You can't always help people's perceptions of you, but it seems like this gathering is a golden opportunity to try.
I agree.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:16 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I don't understand the snippet of conversation you posted.

You're making a LOT of assumptions based on questionable facts.

It's not that easy to make heads or tails of another person's conversation, outside, from a distance.

You couldn't tell what your neighbors were really talking about.

When people are mowing or going about their business, they will often just gesture or yell hello and keep going. That sounds normal.

At this point, I would assume nothing has actually happened. No trash, no problem....

Old 12-03-2019, 04:33 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,219,292 times
Go and loudly tell the story of your sister calling to talk about bad neighbors. Then say how you shared stories of your old bad neighbors while outside. End with “Gee. I hope no one overheard that and thought I meant my new neighbors! You people are great and I can’t wait to get to know more of you!”

Good luck

Old 12-03-2019, 04:36 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,338,323 times
Paranoid much

Old 12-03-2019, 04:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson24 View Post
Hello, My wife and I have been living a rural neighborhood for a few months. It is nice and quiet, with middle aged couples and elderly, but it's possible it filled with gossiping, nosy neighbors. When we moved in, only one person has come by and said hello, this neighbor at the time had in-laws living in the house. The others haven't said anything. After some time passed, this one person invited us and others over for a gathering and we met them and rest of the neighbors. More time passed, one evening I was talking to my sister outside on the phone and she was telling me about some bad experiences she's had and I told some of mine BUT none of it had anything to do with my neighbors I don't even know them!, the next day this in-law is talking from the porch to the neighbor across the street at his fence. I couldn't hear what they were talking about, BUT it sounded like they were talking about someone and laughing, etc. The next time I saw this neighbor he was mowing, I waved and he waved back but with a frown on his face. Then another time from a neighbors house, someone saw me and growled something from a distance but I couldn't see them. This is what I think happened, this in-law eavesdropped on my phone conversation, I don't what was made of it, but it wasn't good. This neighbor I believe has spread this trash about me, (whatever it is) since the in-law left. I've talked since, and asked if we were ok and said "why shouldn't we", Liar? It's beyond me why these people treat me like this, they don't know me. Now the same person who had the first one, is having another gathering. I can't decide if i'm going or not, I don't know if I want to be around these people, they're liable to give me the cold shoulder anyhow. Thanks for listening.
So you live in a rural area, but your neighbors are so close they can hear your phone conversations?

Old 12-03-2019, 05:21 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
You’re way overthinking it. If you are concerned something was said, go talk to them. You’re assuming the worst and it could be nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships