Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 01:18 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times

Advertisements

We only gift to the kids (nephews) and they’re at the age where we just give them money. Since we stopped exchanging gifts, it removed a lot of stress and made Christmas so much more enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 02:08 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
An appetizer tray from a local pottery-maker for my sister, a traditional centerpiece for my mom, a hat and jumbo cashews (his favorite indulgence) for my husband, and a movie DVD, baked goods or a small gift of cash for everyone else.

We are being super cheap this year.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:49 AM

339 posts, read 148,719 times
Bourbon Balls is my gift to everyone. The labor involved for the amount of work is pretty serious so yeah, thats it!

Old 12-17-2019, 01:09 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Trying to think of what to give my 91-year-old mother. My sister already stole the amplified-volume phone idea.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
We don’t over indulge with Christmas presents and are not easy to buy for that is why I’m asking and so maybe I could get a good idea or two.

My daughter wants a new gun safe.
Hers guns are locked but a safe would be better.
The son is really hard to shop for.
I had a Damascus knife made for him but I think he would just put it on a shelf somewhere.
I normally buy the wife nice bling or a techy thing or two but that kinda ran it’s course.
The wife and I agreed to save money and buy us an expensive range for the kitchen but that seems lame the more I think of it.
I did buy myself a custom belt and buckle so I know I’m going to like that .
What are you getting your family?
I could use some better ideas.
Thank you.
Andy
You mean to go in on it together as a present to each other?

Old 12-17-2019, 01:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
When you have been married 45 years, and the kids are in their 30s, it gets harder and harder to think of something to buy every year. We finally decided about 8-9 years ago to draw names and do a a "Secret Santa". Then each person sends a list to all the others, since they don't know who has them. The list should have multiple items to choose from but that the giver can do for under that year's maximum, which has been $75 but this year went up to $100. As it happens now everyone is just e-mailing a link to their Amazon wish list, making it very simple. The grandkids, of course, get presents from everyone.
It seems that this year kitchen gadgets and accessories are common on the lists, along with specific, unusual tools.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:19 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Hubby wanted something for his entertainment system and I didn't really know exactly what he wanted, so he ordered it as a gift from me.

Son is getting a game system that he has been wanting along with a couple small things.

Daughter is getting new headphones, a gift certificate to an art store, and a few shirts. Oh, and tickets to a show that she and I will go see together.

For my parents, I generally just order something off of their Amazon wish lists.

For my in-laws, I'm not sure. I should probably start thinking about that.

We don't exchange gifts with our siblings/nieces/nephews... we live far away and it just isn't something we've done since they were babies.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:40 PM

22,209 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Trying to think of what to give my 91-year-old mother. My sister already stole the amplified-volume phone idea.
ideas:
warm or cozy blanket
comfy socks
comfy jammies
pretty pillow cases
audio books or music
pretty or warm scarf

one of my work places had a yearly project to bring gifts to those in nursing homes at the holidays, the residents wrote down what they wanted, so we got to buy and wrap and give them gifts they loved getting and were just what they asked for

Old 12-17-2019, 09:58 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,330,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My go to gift has always been to find something that the person uses everyday and get them an upgrade. Ive noticed that a lot of older people don't like to spend money on everyday things like sheets, towels, etc.

If she gets cold she might like a heated throw for when shes watching TV.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Blank...36369506&psc=1

Old 12-18-2019, 05:35 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,630,750 times
Giving Cash or gift cards. No shopping for me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships