Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 10:39 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times

Advertisements

We don’t over indulge with Christmas presents and are not easy to buy for that is why I’m asking and so maybe I could get a good idea or two.

My daughter wants a new gun safe.
Hers guns are locked but a safe would be better.
The son is really hard to shop for.
I had a Damascus knife made for him but I think he would just put it on a shelf somewhere.
I normally buy the wife nice bling or a techy thing or two but that kinda ran it’s course.
The wife and I agreed to save money and buy us an expensive range for the kitchen but that seems lame the more I think of it.
I did buy myself a custom belt and buckle so I know I’m going to like that .
What are you getting your family?
I could use some better ideas.
Thank you.
Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 01:01 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
I'm gifting experiences this year:

Son and his GF--tickets to a brew fest thing
Daughter and SIL--couldn't find a restaurant with a wine pairing dinner that happens regularly so they could select a date. Ended up finding a kind of neat restaurant that allows do your own wine tastings so a gift card to that place.
Parents--they are snowbirds to FL, and I don't think they've ever done a dolphin cruise so I'm looking into different day trips to gift them
Three youngest nephews--family gift of a package of tickets for a minor league baseball team. These boys (11 and under) get LOTS of gifts and toys. I'll probably buy a book for each of them also.
18 year old nephew---I am clueless right now!

We don't do a gift exchange with siblings and nieces/nephews once they finish high school. I do usually give each family a package of Christmas goodies.

Husband--new headphones, a couple new shirts and we're taking a quick trip some place warm right after the holiday.

Old 12-08-2019, 01:05 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,446,284 times
These topics often send red flags. Such as if I tell ...will my house be robbed? Will someone really want that sausage maker I found and wrapped up for uncle sal?
Or the lovely glow art of Elvis?

Nah if I shared the gifts ...I just couldn't have Quido stopping by to undo my wrapping

Old 12-08-2019, 05:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Two of my kids want specific gift cards. I buy gifts for the other kid and the kids’ three partners. We buy gifts for our two grands. DH and I have been scratching our heads about ourselves. I think we decided to buy one thing for ourselves, which I think will be a narrow side table which DH thinks we need.

I think we will fill each other’s stockings probably with treats. I intend to buy him pj bottoms that have pockets. They are lounging pants, actually.

But I think the days of surprising each other with nice gifts is over. If I had my way, the adults in my family would draw names.

We also give money to our kids and spouses. Money always fits.

Most of my shopping is done.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Clothes, gift cards to events and more upscale restaurants and travel gift cards.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:11 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,066 times
The wife wants a printer and some PJ's (the person who doesn't really want, or do much i think is harder to shop for than the person who has everything)
We really don't exchange gifts with my siblings other than getting them some booze or some kind of food gift.
My wife picked up some coloring books and toys for the nephews
M-I-L, and the rest of her family (brothers, nephews, nieces) have all moved to the other side of the country. So we usually just get something for the M-I-L to avoid the guilt tripping.
As for me I just want some parts for the hot rod.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:40 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,236,002 times
Nothing

Old 12-13-2019, 03:37 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,999 times
Bought my husband a hiking gps .
I generally make gifts and send gift cards, except for the grandchildren who get books and toys.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:42 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Im just giving money to my family members for the holiday.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:58 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,765 times
I don't buy gifts anymore. What I usually do is send my sister a big gift basket from Zabars with bagels and coffee and pastrami and all kinds of NYC delicacies. She usually has a lot of people in her house over the holidays, so it's great for her to have a bunch of stuff like that available with all the people staying at her house and coming & going.

My father is actually coming to me this year, instead of her and it looks like my brother might also come for a couple of days this year as well, so maybe I'll get my own gift basket.

Other than that though, no, I don't buy gifts and I don't want anything. I already have everything I want or need as does everyone I know. I don't see the point of buying a bunch of unnecessary stuff just to say that I have a gift for someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships