Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 07:28 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times

Advertisements

Not much here--we are older so no parents to buy for and we are getting rid of things, not buying things. No relatives nearby so we just call each other on Christmas Day.

Sent a box of stuff to England a few weeks ago and, as usual, the shipping cost is as high as the cost of the items. But I got a nice needlepoint embroidered Christmas stocking for the little grandson with his name on it (from LL Bean) and some chocolates in the form of snowmen for the family in general.

For dh, so far, he's getting a sweatshirt with the logo of a certain shop on Martha's Vineyard that we visited one time. He loves anything with that Black Dog logo, lol.

I think slippers (LL Bean or Minnetonka) or a nice warm bathrobe make good presents for a lot of people. Maybe a silk pillowcase for a woman?

Last edited by in_newengland; 12-23-2019 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 10:45 AM

1,159 posts, read 620,805 times
My 5 year old daughter is getting a boy Barbie, some drawing books because she loves to draw. I asked her what she wants for Christmas and she said she wants "art stuff"

My 1 year old is getting a stuffed animal owl, Christmas baby book and a baby puzzle. Only 3 things each kid.

My 5 year old is a bit spoiled; she gets a toy once a week it seems. So she really doesn't need anything.

As for my husband, I am getting him a DVD. He's just so picky.
I already know what he's getting me! An upgraded wedding ring set!!!

Old 12-23-2019, 12:23 PM

270 posts, read 211,070 times
Links to many jobs. They need to get a better job instead of asking me or tell me what they want. I'm a Grinch this year.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:41 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Not much here--we are older so no parents to buy for and we are getting rid of things, not buying things. No relatives nearby so we just call each other on Christmas Day.

Sent a box of stuff to England a few weeks ago and, as usual, the shipping cost is as high as the cost of the items. But I got a nice needlepoint embroidered Christmas stocking for the little grandson with his name on it (from LL Bean) and some chocolates in the form of snowmen for the family in general.

For dh, so far, he's getting a sweatshirt with the logo of a certain shop on Martha's Vineyard that we visited one time. He loves anything with that Black Dog logo, lol.

I think slippers (LL Bean or Minnetonka) or a nice warm bathrobe make good presents for a lot of people. Maybe a silk pillowcase for a woman?)

Black Dog lovers in my family as well! When in doubt, something from The Black Dog makes a great gift for anyone in my family. (We used to own a Summer house on MV).

Old 01-17-2020, 06:21 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Weaponry-related gifts have always been popular in our household.
Okay. For me, I don't regard killing technology as a way to celebrate Christmas. In fact, it seems antithetical to Christianity. Then again, I wouldn't want to get a hair-dryer or toaster oven for Christmas, either.

Old 01-18-2020, 03:05 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Okay. For me, I don't regard killing technology as a way to celebrate Christmas. In fact, it seems antithetical to Christianity. Then again, I wouldn't want to get a hair-dryer or toaster oven for Christmas, either.
Guess you'll be giving people these PSAs for NEXT Christmas...it's only 329 days away. Hop to it!

Old 01-19-2020, 09:21 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I think what's antithetical is judging others unfairly without understanding. Without going on too much about it... I'm going to try to explain something that to me is a part of our culture, and to you is just "killing technology" so that maybe you can understand better.

Hunting, shooting, archery and fishing are great family traditions for many, and the tools used are beautiful to those who use them, and become heirlooms that are passed down to new generations. Guns are very much a part of the memories of family time spent enjoying the great outdoors, and many times, they are a big part of bringing home those great and memorable family feasts!

My dad bought me my first gun for Christmas. (and my second, and my third, but I digress!) I have them all still, and will never part with them, or the memories of him teaching me to shoot and hunt, and how and when to defend myself. Those are pretty precious memories for a girl to have with her dad, if you ask me. Talk about empowering!

But it's not all about weapons. Some of our other great Christmas gifts have been other tools of life.... a chain saw, power tools, a manure cart, a vacuum cleaner.

I guess we're practical people There has been some clothing and books also I suppose.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:22 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think what's antithetical is judging others unfairly without understanding. Without going on too much about it... I'm going to try to explain something that to me is a part of our culture, and to you is just "killing technology" so that maybe you can understand better.

Hunting, shooting, archery and fishing are great family traditions for many, and the tools used are beautiful to those who use them, and become heirlooms that are passed down to new generations. Guns are very much a part of the memories of family time spent enjoying the great outdoors, and many times, they are a big part of bringing home those great and memorable family feasts!

My dad bought me my first gun for Christmas. (and my second, and my third, but I digress!) I have them all still, and will never part with them, or the memories of him teaching me to shoot and hunt, and how and when to defend myself. Those are pretty precious memories for a girl to have with her dad, if you ask me. Talk about empowering!

But it's not all about weapons. Some of our other great Christmas gifts have been other tools of life.... a chain saw, power tools, a manure cart, a vacuum cleaner.

I guess we're practical people There has been some clothing and books also I suppose.
True. Isn't part of the idea behind gifts is giving something you know the recipient may value? If someone would really value a toaster, you give them a toaster, not a coffee maker, right?

Since when is it "anti-ethical" for Christians to kill in order to feed themselves or someone else?

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-19-2020 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships