Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 01:41 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

My mother passed away and I received a China cabinet. It's full of my grandmother's china and some other items like this crystal thing that was a wedding souvenir at my great grandmother's wedding. Means nothing to me.

When I first told my mother's sister about things being stolen from the house she thought this was gone and went on about how she had held in resentment for years over my Mom getting it because her Mom said it should go to someone with heirs, blah blah.

Well, my brother and I have no children so it isn't being passed on to anyone except the junkyard either way. My sister is my heir but she's an adopted sibling.

Anyway, I offered to send it she said no, a picture is fine. She ooohed and ahhed over the picture and I said IDK why you don't let me just send it.

'It's too much trouble for you and I have no one to leave it to'.

I can't tell if she doesn't want the thing despite seeming like she did or what. I want to just send it. Merry Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 01:51 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
Send it! It might as well go to someone who treasures it.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Send it! It might as well go to someone who treasures it.
Right? The only reason I am questioning it is because in the past she will say she wants something and then end up saying she doesn't have room. NYC studio apartment and her and her husband have 82,000 books.

I don't want her to get it and be upset over not having room and wish it had stayed with a member of the younger generation. Like she wants me to treasure it.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:55 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
If she doesn't want it don't send it. Send it to someone else or sell it.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:36 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
So sorry you lost your mom, Jen.

She may be saying don't send it because she knows she has no room. If you don't want it and are thinking of selling it, then maybe let her know that and give her one last chance to take it - IF she can confirm she'll have room for it. If you want to keep it - keep it.

You might want to have some of the other things appraised before getting rid of them. They may be worth money.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
So sorry you lost your mom, Jen.

She may be saying don't send it because she knows she has no room. If you don't want it and are thinking of selling it, then maybe let her know that and give her one last chance to take it - IF she can confirm she'll have room for it. If you want to keep it - keep it.

You might want to have some of the other things appraised before getting rid of them. They may be worth money.
Thanks I am not getting rid of anything. I'm showing it in the china cabinet the way my mother did and my grandmother did. It's a nice piece, and everything in it is beautiful.

The ONLY reason I haven't packed this one item up to send next time I go past UPS is worried it's causing her angst. She keeps saying she's no one to give it to. I don't care. I want her to enjoy it. Whatever. I'm sending it. This whole needing someone to hand it down to is silly. I don't either!

Old 12-12-2019, 02:43 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Ask her one more time. Say something like: "Unfortunately, I have no use for "x," and just wanted to check with you again before I take it to the Salvation Army. If you would like it, I would be glad to mail it to you."

Old 12-12-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Ask her one more time. Say something like: "Unfortunately, I have no use for "x," and just wanted to check with you again before I take it to the Salvation Army. If you would like it, I would be glad to mail it to you."
Thanks, I decided just to send it as a surprise. I am 70% sure she wants it. I am 100% sure I do not.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:51 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,324,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
My mother passed away and I received a China cabinet. It's full of my grandmother's china and some other items like this crystal thing that was a wedding souvenir at my great grandmother's wedding. Means nothing to me.

When I first told my mother's sister about things being stolen from the house she thought this was gone and went on about how she had held in resentment for years over my Mom getting it because her Mom said it should go to someone with heirs, blah blah.

Well, my brother and I have no children so it isn't being passed on to anyone except the junkyard either way. My sister is my heir but she's an adopted sibling.

Anyway, I offered to send it she said no, a picture is fine. She ooohed and ahhed over the picture and I said IDK why you don't let me just send it.

I can't tell if she doesn't want the thing despite seeming like she did or what. I want to just send it. Merry Christmas!
I'm sorry for your loss.

If your sister said she did not want it, don't send it. It would give her trouble because there's no room for her to store it.

People in the olden days had different sentiments or opinions than people in this modern day. People in the younger generations nowadays are very realistic. I think most people now just want money or house, but it has to be a clean house. If it is a messy, filthy house, they will be cranky and whining while cleaning it up and maybe they hate their parents for the filthy house. LOL. I'm trying to tell the truth from what I learned from my children (gen Y) and myself also. I'm a boomer, but I've changed through the years with the society. I don't want any knickknacks, China, even expensive jewelries from somebody else. Whatever I like or want, I like to buy it myself. Someday, when I think it's the time to down size and clean up the house, I will donate everything.

You can talk to your mother (in your head), to say sorry to her that the China does not mean anything to you. Tell her that you are just being honest. You loved her and cared for her when she was alive, you treasure all the nice memories about her, that was all that mattered. And then, you can talk to your aunt if she likes anything, just give it to her. Or you can sell things on ebay or donate them.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:14 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post

This is really simple.

"Just let me know if you want it or not. If you do, I'll send it to you. If you don't, I'm selling it on EBay."

I just don't know why this is so hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships