Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:24 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,924,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I went to my 25th and 31th high school reunions. It was fun and I made some new friends in the process.
Do you mean 31th or 30st? I'm just poking some fun.

Now that I live far away from my HS, I don't know if I'll get the chance to go to such a reunion. It'd be nice to reminisce w/ some of them. And now that I'm much fitter and stronger than I was in HS, maybe beat up on the beer-bellied bullies who used to beat up on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 11:33 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,402,913 times
Family reunions are one type I try not to miss. My family is already huge and its always good to know whats going on in the family. Im going to our next high school reunion out here in a couple of years, though.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:28 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,394 times
Last year was my 30 year high school reunion. I hadn't even planned on going. I ended up being on the planning committee, in charge of finding people. I also made the name badges and made a slideshow presentation. Big change, eh?

I've learned that the first couple of reunions, (5 or 10 year) are uneventful. People are just getting their game together and far too many people are far too interested in exchanging platitudes about their incomes, gold cards and zip codes.

By the time the 20th comes around, people just want to party and have fun and see old friends and acquaintances. And make no mistake, there will be people who remember you and who will be glad to see you.

It was the 30th that was really eye-opening. Everyone mingled freely from all the different social groups. People had lived; they had lost spouses, children, parents, jobs, homes. They had also had successes but no one was gloating. We're approaching fifty and people were kind of non-plussed by that fact--where did our youth go. People wanted to re-connect and many did. A group from our committee still stays in touch.

Reunions are what you want to make of them. If you're not interested, fine. If you are or if you've decided for yourself what they're about, please think again. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:04 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
no i didnt go to my HS reunion. it felt weird to me. i had only a few good friends and barely spoke to everyone else. i was not able to keep in touch with even my few good friends and i doubt anyone would have remembered me....embarrassing for all of us. also i dont feel i have accomplished what i should have.
family reunions for me are a few a year weddings, birthdays, christenings, etc.
Everyone that I hung out with in high school I still talk to and visit on a regular basis, but none of them attended the ten-year reunion. It was weird, as the people that I was mingling with were mostly the people that I never hung out with let alone even talked to back in high school. But, the real kicker was that I was totally surprised that any of them remembered who I was. A lot of people from different cliques that I assumed didn't even know that I existed came up to me and told me how glad they were to see me and how cool it was that I traveled 1500 just to attend the event (which was only partially true).

My high school has a website with a page dedicated to my class. Former classmates regularly posts updates and it is interesting to see how everyone is turning out. To find out that one student who you just knew was going to work for NASA ended up doing dry-wall installation or that one kid that should have ended up dead in a ditch somewhere is now happily successful living an awesome life is stuff that I like to read about. I dunno, just me.

By they way, at least 85% of my third grade class ended up at my high school, so these were kids that I pretty much grew up with-almost literally.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Not that I can attend them anyway, but I don't quite see the point of high-school reunions. If you wanted to stay in touch with some people, you did. What's the need to see the others you didn't get along with in the past?

Old 05-24-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Not that I can attend them anyway, but I don't quite see the point of high-school reunions. If you wanted to stay in touch with some people, you did. What's the need to see the others you didn't get along with in the past?
B/c people change (for the better or worse) and you and the other person might find a new connection you hadn't before.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
B/c people change (for the better or worse) and you and the other person might find a new connection you hadn't before.
Yep, they do. Usually for worse.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yep, they do. Usually for worse.
That would just be me.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Where high school reunions are concerned... I looked over the sea of 600 students at my high school graduation. I realized that about 590 of them wouldn't notice or care if I were alive or dead a year from that day. I haven't looked back since.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Where high school reunions are concerned... I looked over the sea of 600 students at my high school graduation. I realized that about 590 of them wouldn't notice or care if I were alive or dead a year from that day. I haven't looked back since.
Then what about the other 10?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships