Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 01:00 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,286,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Wait a minute. Aren't you the guy who posted a few weeks/months ago complaining about how hard it was for you to meet people in your new city?

Hmmmm...Think there might any connection between that post and this post?
No. Im not a dude...and I dont really look to "meet people" either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 01:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,215,804 times
We introduced ourselves to our immediate neighbors. I'm not sure why this is a huge problem for people. Just knock on your door, introduce yourselves, exchange small talk about the neighborhood and leave. It's just a nice way to get acclimated and the entire process takes about 30 minutes.

Now, when somebody moves in close to us, we always take them brownies or something and, especially if they move out of state, encourage them to ask questions if they're trying to learn the town. One woman moved here with her kids from California and needed a pediatrician the very next week. My wife was not only happy to oblige, but made sure the doctor worked the new neighbor in. They've been fast friends ever since.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
No. Im not a dude...and I dont really look to "meet people" either.
Oh, different person. Sorry. This guy was from Pittsburgh, too.

Well, given that you put "meet people" in quotes, I'm thinking you're assigning some kind of negative connotation to it. You don't have to be the most sociable person in the world, mind you, but just from a practical standpoint, it's a really good idea to know who your neighbors are.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:06 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,532,839 times
I have, but not when I first moved here. Because people told me about the couple that lived right next door to me were not very nice folks. So, when they moved away, 2 years ago, and the new couple moved in I met them. They were extremely nice folks. And on the other side is a nice old man named Lloyd and I introduced myself to him when I first came here. He's very nice. He said, "If you ever need a ride to somewhere, I can give you a ride" (because my husband and I at the time only had 1 car then)...That was so generous of him.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:09 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,286,001 times
Whats practical about it?

Old 07-12-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Whats practical about it?
Okay...Because it's always good to have a built-in support system. Let me count the ways.

1. They can watch your apartment and feed your cat while you're away.
2. You can borrow salt or butter or whatever when you find you're out at the last minute while cooking.
3. If your car breaks down and you need to be at work, they can give you a ride.
4. Unless you're a complete sociopath, a good neighbor is a built-in friend.
5. The list goes on and on.

Of course, what they can do for you, you can do for them.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:29 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,617,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
Not likely. I mean, its great to know your neighbors and all. But if I moved to a new neighborhood, I would just keep to myself because the new neighbors probably aren't even friendly. Go work, come home, and enjoy home activity. That's all.
Sorry this has been your experience.

When I moved to the neighborhood I'm in now. All my neighbors (ok, there's only 11 of them ) brought me a dish of something homemade and introduced themselves.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:33 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,617,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay...Because it's always good to have a built-in support system. Let me count the ways.

1. They can watch your apartment and feed your cat while you're away.
2. You can borrow salt or butter or whatever when you find you're out at the last minute while cooking.
3. If your car breaks down and you need to be at work, they can give you a ride.
4. Unless you're a complete sociopath, a good neighbor is a built-in friend.
5. The list goes on and on.

Of course, what they can do for you, you can do for them.
That is true At least for those of us that like to socialize and are friendly.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
That is true At least for those of us that like to socialize and are friendly.
Yes. When I die, at least I'll be discovered within a few hours, not by police two weeks later when my neighbors start complaining about the stench and the flies.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:07 PM

26,774 posts, read 26,897,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I think this is great! Too many times in too many places I've moved and hardly spoken a word to anyone nearby. I think your friend did a wonderful thing!
I do, too. I still think it should be up to the existing neighbors to introduce themselves to people who have just moved in, though. Unfortunately that seems to be less common these days, for whatever reason. When we moved to this neighborhood years ago, a neighbor several doors away said that she had never been inside anyone's house on our block in the 8 years that she'd lived here. That's AWFUL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships