Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:56 AM

6 posts, read 54,275 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine recently moved and within a few days of putting all her things into the new house pounded on the doors of the five closest homes nearby and introduced herself.

Is this expected now days and if not why? Maybe she should have waited until she saw them outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:02 AM

201 posts, read 656,226 times
I certainly don't think it's expected- but it's great to know your neighbors...although I think I would have waited until I saw them outside. The ladies on the street here wait and watch for when someone new moves in- they give them a day or two to settle, then take them a cake and introduce themselves. It's a nice way to say "welcome to the neighborhood" and nobody feels forced into it.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:04 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,871,177 times
Not likely. I mean, its great to know your neighbors and all. But if I moved to a new neighborhood, I would just keep to myself because the new neighbors probably aren't even friendly. Go work, come home, and enjoy home activity. That's all.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:26 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
No. I wouldnt do it and I wouldnt answer the door either.
When I move into my own home I am doing it to be left alone.
Also...people are wierd. Who knows what anyones true intentions are anymore?
Plus I read too much on serial killers and crime to ever feel comfortable doing that.

I had people that lived in my apt buildings do that... Creeped me out.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:29 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,897,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Library56 View Post
A friend of mine recently moved and within a few days of putting all her things into the new house pounded on the doors of the five closest homes nearby and introduced herself.
I think this is great! And I think your friend (even though she is a female) had some cojones to do this!

It worked two-fold - she took the initiative and met her neighbors around her house and in turn let the neighbors know who she was. So even if it might have been difficult to summon the courage, in the end it benefitted everyone she talked to.

Too many times in too many places I've moved and hardly spoken a word to anyone nearby. I think your friend did a wonderful thing! And hey, people can choose to answer the door or not, even if they're inside their houses. It's kind of their loss.

I think of the times I've knocked on neighbors' doors that I didn't know well, saying loudly,"Hi, I'm your neighbor and I'm not selling anything."

What is that famous quote I've read here and there - "Be the change that you want to see in the world."

Old 07-12-2008, 10:36 AM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:

Is this expected now days and if not why? Maybe she should have waited until she saw them outside.
It seems at least on the surface to be a good gesture. If someone approached me I'd be pleasant and welcome them to the neighborhood. I'm an introvert and shy to boot, so I wouldn't be approaching people.

To answer your question I don't know what the "etiquette" is for that situation.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:37 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,699,716 times
Yes! Our lovely neighbors actually brought us a platter of goodies which included a pineapple!!!!

Everyone in our neighborhood looks out for the other neighbors. And some carry big guns!! Just kidding-LOL!

Old 07-12-2008, 10:48 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
Well one of the people I didnt answer the door for...Had a cop come knocking on the door looking for him within the month. Cop told me to stay away from him because of his past. Glad I went with my gut feeling on that one. He was really normal looking too and it was a decent building.

Do you guys live in small towns or something?
Why would you feel safe doing that?

Old 07-12-2008, 10:52 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Not really, some of the women came over to meet my wife but thats about it. I've got nothing agians't it but I just don't want someone over every time I step outside, at my last house I would open the garage door to work on my hotrod and a 30 minute job would take 3 hours because everybody around would come over, at this house the garage is in the back yard just because of that.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:56 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:

pounding covers a lot of ground. did they call in the swat team . introducing yourself to neighbors is proper behavior angry violent behavior is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships